***finished*** PBS Emils

Wasn't going to enter with this kit as I hate it for the tail struts that always snap and are hellish to reglue in the right way, but circumstanes meant I was unable to buy what I was after in my local shop and feeling bad as I refused the offer of ordering it I brought the 109, not sure the scheme yet as I have decals from the starter set in the stash. 

bf109e4boxtop.jpg

Heres the build it will hopefully replace when done, the 2nd one I built way back this time in 2015

D610E8F8-2EB3-461D-A9F5-82E6C7A370E5_zps

Also the 3rd one I built

CIMG1231_zpsqnfzeuis.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Underway, also remembered I have another two options, the mottled trop version also wore the plain desert scheme without the blotches, and also another BoB era option from the airfix IWM special set. Gives me a good range to choose from.

2A608441-F46C-45A7-88FA-DAC81C87B3EB_zps

9A8D189D-C680-4204-8E0C-0B062FE24557_zps

A50143.13.JPG

Looking good so far. It mostly just falls together.

Like all modern Airfix kits I've made it goes together very well, but counter intuitively I find that assembling major components first, then painting them works well because of the right tolerances of the parts

I've 90% built the starter set version. The tail struts were a bit 'tight', but I managed to fit them without snapping - seems I was lucky!

looking forward to the reveal at the end ^_^

Trevor

Seen it depicted with the spiner quaters in red rather than RLM70, no idea if its accurate or not but did it in 70 first time and I prefer the red, also repainted the nose as I got a gluey finger on it, used a bit less white seems better

4C20C758-8F83-46A7-A23F-4128B172A713_zps

• Like 1

Some decals finally on, also now got another copy of the kit so will be doing either the yellow winged BoB example earlier or the trop version. finishing this might be delayed as I've ordered some swazis from the big H, and I know they can be a little slow posting given the lack of staff and as I chose the free postage option as well it won't be a prorirty

F8BFF03E-8DE4-4625-9F29-33C0D9872F33_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

Hi PBS,

you are really churning them out! A couple of small points I may as well make.The 109s of the II/JG 3 had the spinner in black and white portions, not red. Granted, it looks nicer in red!

My feeling regarding the lighter RLM 65 on the front of the fuselage is that is the normal light blue color.

The darker section from the cockpit backward is likely to be due to the exhaust stains, or who knows, because of dark smoke/soot resulting from being shot...

Bottom line, I like this scheme very much!

Well done.

JR

On 2017-6-7 at 8:23 PM, jean said:

Hi PBS,

you are really churning them out! A couple of small points I may as well make.The 109s of the II/JG 3 had the spinner in black and white portions, not red. Granted, it looks nicer in red!

My feeling regarding the lighter RLM 65 on the front of the fuselage is that is the normal light blue color.

The darker section from the cockpit backward is likely to be due to the exhaust stains, or who knows, because of dark smoke/soot resulting from being shot...

Bottom line, I like this scheme very much!

Well done.

JR

I've seen it as red in quite a few profiles, and just like, can always do it right next time, and the jurys out if it was indeed black or RLM70. Maybe but the fuselage looks just too uniform, for that. 

Also got back to the emil yesteray and painted it up, now to paint the mini Franzisket and canopy 

C5B1D571-B89C-41EF-9B1E-514224529024_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu