A Flock of Seagulls - Revell (ICM) I-153 Chaika (times two)

It looks really good now up on its undercarriage Stew.

Almost there; it's a very nicely detailed kit; you've brought out the best in it :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks gents :)

I finally took delivery of my replacement desk lamp, so now I can actually see what I'm attempting. I refitted the tail struts, then got the gear doors fitted, it was by far the most fiddly part of the kit so far:

DSCN6445.jpg

I gave it a day to set after that, as I was lary of knocking one of the gear doors off and having to go through the mild horror of fitting it again. After that, I gave it a coat of Klear - it will get another tomorrow and then I should be able to get the transfers on:

DSCN6450.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

On 9/16/2017 at 7:32 AM, Beard said:

One nearly done, how's the other one going?

Hi Simon, not much different to last time - see below :) 

On 9/16/2017 at 7:56 AM, CedB said:

Looking good Stew :)

Those doors look really fiddly... what a weird mechanism. Good job getting them fitted.

Thanks Ced, there is a real mid-1930s vibe to the Chaika that you find on some French aeroplanes of the period too; things like retractable landing gear were new and exotic concepts and there was no established 'best practice' so you do get some weird arrangements... :D 

On 9/16/2017 at 4:41 PM, Learstang said:

Brilliant work, Stew! I really need to get back to mine, etc.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much Jason :)

I didn't get much done over the weekend after all, but I did notice that I had forgotten the white fin-tip on the green Chaika - I'm glad I noticed before I applied the transfers as I am sure putting masking tape over the transfers would have ended in tears:

DSCN6451.jpg

DSCN6455.jpg

DSCN6459.jpg

The dappled Chaika is still in its silver livery;

DSCN6453.jpg

...initially I had thought the overpainted green and black camouflage was sprayed on the real aircraft and could be attempted by 'scribbling' it on with the airbrush... however further evidence suggests more of a dabbed-on blotching done with a brush, which will probably best be replicated by... well, by blotching it on with a brush. I think it might be easier to do this after the transfers have been applied rather than trying not to paint in and around the areas where the transfers will be... if you see what I mean? Any insights would be welcomed - I won't be doing it for a little while in any case as the dog and I are off for a brief holiday in Aberdeenshire with a the added excitement of the Aberdeen Model Show next weekend, which I shall be attending in my capacity as a Sovereign Hobbies henchperson.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

I for one will be very interested to see how you get on with that Khalkin-Gol Chaika, Stew. I have it in my mind to do all the aircraft of that very important, if little known conflict. I have several of the Japanese aircraft involved, such as the Ki-36 Sonia, the Ki-10 Perry, and the Ki-27 Nate, and a few of the Soviet aircraft, such as the I-15bis, and possibly an I-16 (although I may do it as a GPW aircraft). The Tupolev SB was another aircraft, along with the Li-2 (Soviet licence-built DC-3) that was painted in that ad hoc green over silver (or light grey) scheme. Hmmm, now that would actually be an interesting group build, although the number of aircraft would be relatively limited - a Khalkin-Gol (Nomonhan) build. I'm not volunteering for getting this organised, by the way. Just thinking out loud, as it were. But I digress...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks Jason, painting little blotches on something the size of a DC-3 would be a proper labour of love, I think :) 

On 18 September 2017 at 7:49 AM, Beard said:

... Enjoy your holiday... free admission to a model show and selling paint  (and other bits and bobs) sounds good to me.

It's a great life, if you don't weaken :D

On 18 September 2017 at 8:29 AM, CedB said:

Looking forward to your blotching - should be interesting!

Thanks Ced, I  suspect you could replace the phrase "should be interesting" with "could result in eye-strain" :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my holiday and have applied the first set of transfers - I am a bit disappointed with the Colibri Decals set, as it only provides one set of red stars and the transfers themselves seem to be virtually devoid of glue on the back; I ended up sticking them down with Klear:

DSCN6468.jpg

Based on that experience I will definitely add the transfers to the second Chaika before doing the blotchy paint scheme, just to make sure they stick okay. The green one shown above will get its matt coat next, then have the last details - propeller, rockets and rigging - added.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

That's looking very nice and it's good to see sone-one else modelling at an ungodly hour, I've just spent several minutes gluing a Spitfire carburettor intake together.  

Klear is an effective method for getting transfers to stick, possibly too effective as, in my experience, you'll never get them to move without destroying them.

• Like 1

Haha no Simon, I did the transfers last night and only updated my thread at this ungodly hour - it probably was just you modelling. Hope the intake went together okay anyway :D 

Yes Klear can be excessively effective at sticking transfers but sometimes it is a case of needs must; the alternative was watching the transfers floating off onto the modelling table... I think the trick is to use plenty of Klear and sop up the excess afterwards, the decal remains fairly movable if it is floating in a pool of Klear rather than stuck straight onto the plastic. Or perhaps I was just lucky this time :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2