A Flock of Seagulls - Revell (ICM) I-153 Chaika (times two)

Really fast progress Stew.

I was interested to see how the interior framework would fit; I have one of their I-15's stalled as, well, it doesn't fit at all :(. It's a gorgeous kit otherwise.

It looks like they solved it for the I-153. Lovely little kits of some of my favourite aircraft. :).

Along with many, I'm looking forward to the microscopic mottle!

Great stuff

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

I'm going to enjoy these builds (partly because I plan to get one of these neat-looking kits!)

Good luck with the camouflage scheme!

Regards,

David

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well I don't really know what happened there... I do know my mojo upped and left, didn't even leave a note... so I really haven't done a lot in the last three months. However the news that the deadline has been extended another week has spurred me into some sort of action and I hope to get these finished yet. I lost a few construction photos, I think I deleted them thinking I had uploaded them when I hadn't, so apologies if things are a bit jerky for a little while.

I fitted the cowlings, this caused all sorts of problems as if you fit the Quickboost exhausts where it seems logical they should go, the engine and front plate does not fit properly. I had to cut the supporting blocks off the Quickboost part and superglue the exhaust pipes individually to the inside of the cowling. I also added the tailplanes and dry-fitted the tail-struts in place as well as blocking off the cockpits and landing gear bays, and tacking the upper wings on prior to priming:

DSCN6382.jpg

Then I applied the primer - hard to believe I know, but this is black:

DSCN6386.jpg

Exhibit A was painted with Alclad Semi-Matt Aluminium which may have passed it's best, I wasn't terribly happy with my work spraying this as I ended up  with a rather gritty finish in places:

DSCN6389.jpg

Exhibit B was painted underneath in Colourcoats ACS01 AII Blue, which came out fine:

DSCN6393.jpg

After that I assembled the RS-82 rockets:

DSCN6395.jpg

They're tiny, but nicely done. I imagine that these are supposed to represent the earlier type of rocket so they will be painted Aluminium with a green warhead as shown on the Modeling the VVS site here. I'll paint the launch rails steel to appear as unpainted metal, it's difficult to tell from photographs but I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense going to the trouble of painting them in real life, for obvious reasons :angry:

After this my daylight-imitating desk-lamp died and I am currently waiting on it's replacement, which unfortunately seems to have been entrusted to UKMail Couriers who apparently do not deliver at any time outside of my working hours. 

I'll have to make best use of the daylight at the weekend, I suppose...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Learstang said:

Always great to see someone working on the Chaika! I've built two of the old Heller kits, but I still need to build my ICM kit.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, I've never built the Heller kit, but the ICM one is pure nice :) 

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sorry I'm late to the party, Stew! As soon as I saw you were building this, I ran, but it was from quite far away, and other '80s lyrics references. 

Edward! Thank you - it's not easy to shoe-horn in a musical reference when a band really only had one hit, but you pulled it off... well, almost seamlessly. It could have been worse, it could have been Wang Chung :D 

18 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great to see that the mojo is fully restored on your Chaika builds!

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I hope my efforts will be crowned with success in the end :D 

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Glad you're back Stew. I hope you and your enthusiasm can patch things up ...

Thanks Jamie, is enthusiasm made up of a roughly equal mixture of shame and guilt? Well, as long as it gets the job done... :D 

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm hoping it's contagious, personally.

Shame and guilt? O yes, very much so I think :D

I got the rockets and rails painted...

DSCN6398.jpg

... and assembled:

DSCN6401.jpg

I broke three of the rails just removing them from the sprue, fortunately having two kits and only requiring one set of rockets gave me a set of spares, but it does indicate the delicacy of the rails, as I am not naturally excessively heavy-handed.

rant/ Still waiting on my desk lamp, yesterday UKMail tried to re-deliver it while I was at work, despite my emailing them to request they might deliver it at a time when I was not at work. The most annoying thing is that once again they left me a card stating they will redeliver it today - again, when I am at work. What is the use of a courier company that only delivers during office hours on weekdays? /rant.

Still the weekend beckons with plentiful daylight and free-time in abundance, hopefully I will get some more done.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Those rockets and rails look nice, Stew! I am afraid of some of the delicate-looking parts to this kit - it looks to me like the interior tube framework will break if I just look at it too hard.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Jamie, is enthusiasm made up of a roughly equal mixture of shame and guilt? Well, as long as it gets the job done... :D 

Those are the two primary tools used to get Engineers to do anything you know?

"But you told me this would be completed by now ... perhaps it's best if I get a more experienced Engineer to help you?"

Abracadabra - it's done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2017 at 6:18 AM, Learstang said:

Those rockets and rails look nice, Stew! I am afraid of some of the delicate-looking parts to this kit - it looks to me like the interior tube framework will break if I just look at it too hard...

The instructions for the Revell release of the kit actually ignores the tubular framework, which is a shame as it is a nice feature (although pretty much invisible once inside the fuselage) - I don't remember having any breakage of those parts but it was such a long time ago I started the kits that I really don't remember very well :D 

On 9/1/2017 at 7:21 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Those are the two primary tools used to get Engineers to do anything you know?

"But you told me this would be completed by now ... perhaps it's best if I get a more experienced Engineer to help you?"

Abracadabra - it's done.

I can see how that works... now I know the secret I must find ways of using this method myself!

I drilled some holes for the rigging to be added later, and masked the underside off:

DSCN6403.jpg

... and sprayed the uppersurfaces AII Green (which has come out looking surprisingly pale and slightly grey in the picture but is lovely in real life):

DSCN6405.jpg

Next I'll get the masking off, and start re-assembling everything...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

I'm out of 'likes' Stew. I'll be back once I've been to the shop to buy a bag full :).

The rockets look great; very nice detail painting on such tiny parts.

I'm interested with the modelling sequence here; struts attached to top wing, paint first, then top wing on. Also rigging holes drilled ready. All noted :thumbsup2: 

The semi matt aluminimum looks good to be honest, it looks right for the kind of finish I've seen of photographs of them on the field.

Good to see you back; Mojo can be a fickle and restless friend. Once returned, lock it in the room and have a lot of fun with it :D!

Best regsrds

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, Ced,

Still plugging away... I got the undercarriages off the sprues without breakage:

DSCN6431.jpg

... and added them to the reassembled main body of the aircraft:

DSCN6434.jpg

... and she's up on her legs:

DSCN6436.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures, still waiting for the arrival of the new desklight but UKMail seem to have given up attempting to post it and have not responded to my emails. Time to contact the seller and put in for a refund I think.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Nice job on the undercarriage, Stew! I believe I broke at least one of mine when I removed it from the sprue. Still a lovely little kit of one of my very favourite aeroplanes that I really need to get back to. Although the Heller kit builds up easily (without breakage!), this kit leaves it far behind in terms of detail and accuracy. I look forward to seeing yours done, especially the Khalkin-Gol example with the crazy camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

My apologies gents, I didn't get either of them finished in time; it's my own fault, I spent too much time faffing about instead of just getting on with them. I hope to get them in RFI at some point.

Cheers,

Stew

No worries, Stew, that's why it's a hobby. It's all about the faffing.

Wait. I don't think that came out how I intended.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3