Trumpeter HMS Zulu 1:350

Joss

Hi guys was planning to do a valentine but ive gotten distracted by floaty things. So I decided to go with Zulu.

This is going to interesting as this is my second ever boat build the first being when I was 7! So I have zero experience in this area.

I acquired some flyhawk railing as I'm told by the excellent maritime section that the kit doesn't come with any!

The kit in question,

IMG_20170516_221332

I've just got to make some more headway on the mossie and bf109 first.

Wish me luck!

Joss

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

Good luck Joss! Nice choice.

Ray (who still has to decide what to bring to the party!).

Thanks Ray I think I'm gonna need it!

Any ideas on what you might be doing?

Joss

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That looks to be an interesting project Joss. :popcorn:

Thanks Nimrod! Hopefully it will be enough to keep me interested. :)

Joss

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Good choice Joss,I failed to finish mine for the MTO GB,it's a great little kit should look good with those railings!

Cheers Steve, I was having a browse at yours earlier actually, she looked really nice. Any tricks or tips you noticed on your build?

Joss

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joss said:

Thanks Ray I think I'm gonna need it!

Any ideas on what you might be doing?

Joss

Joss, I am going to have a go at the Tamiya 1/700 E-Class destroyer.

All the best with your build,

Ray

Good to see some marine subjects within this GB :thumbsup: While 350th scale sounds tiny to an aircraft modeller I'm guessing this still makes for a quite substantial model?

• Like 1

Hi col,  it seems small but the parts all seems workable. I think the Eduard 1:48 kits have smaller parts to be honest! I'll post some pics with a coin for an idea of size, because I tried looking but couldn't find anything!

Joss

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little ask for help here. Was just looking through other peoples builds and it seems that the kit boxing is wrong for the time era.

If so what are the right colours for Zulu in the med and what colours can I use from the Vallejo range?

Any help much appreciated!

Joss

Hi Joss. Do the instructions tell you to paint her allover 507c, the light grey?

I think Zulu had a standard med paint job in 1941, hard to tell from the images available if anyoneknows anything else please correct me if I'm wrong?

The light grey 507c would be fine for everything above the hull. The hull itself would probably have been 507b medium grey with the deck being the dark grey 507a.

If you just have Vallejo model paints available the the best equivalents I can find are below. I've only tried the light grey and it's a good scale match.

You can get Lifecolour acrilics in the desired mix but they only come in a set so don't know if you'd want to go down that route.

507a pre war dark grey- Vallejo 816 luffwaffe uniform 

507b medium grey- 900 french mirage blue

507c light grey-990-919 light grey and foundation white mixed 1 light grey to 3 white.

Hope this helps a bit. Looking forward to seeing what you create, great work so far!

Geoff 

• Like 1

Hi Geoff, the instructions say to paint her the colours what you said I believe (kit not at hand). But I remember it saying the hull colour as navy blue which didn't sound right? 

I shall paint her in the Vallejo colours as these sound better :) I shall have a look at the lifecolor ones and count the pennies (:

Many thanks

• Like 1

Navy blue doesn't seem right! The Lifecolour paints ate good, 6 in a pack so not too expensive. They paint and airbrush well with the same finished results. 

Good luck, looking forward to seeing what you create. 

Geoff 

Hello guys the hull is together it's a nice little assembly and everything fits perfectly.

2017-06-14_11-24-39

Going connect the low part of the superstructure due to cocking up the sanding so I can use some filler to get a nice and flush fit. Then I'll spray the hull and get her underway :)

Joss

• Like 4

• 6 years later...

I wish you luck in your build, I have the same Zulu kit and am waiting for the upgrade kit and have been wondering about colours and how to weather a ship so I will look on wi5h interest.  🤓👍