MiG 25 in 1/72

Kes

I have one of these, therein lies the problem, there should be two! That sinking feeling when we find a part missing from a hard won ebay bought kit!

It's the business end of a Condor Micojan (yep, thats what it says?) Mig25 in 1/72 

So what are my options for an aftermarket replacement? It's a 'what if' so real world accuracy isn't a deciding factor?

2A146144-7B1E-4CE4-BD07-C42B771F549B.jpg

. . . Kes

Armory make a resin set that looks very, very good.

Prop&Jet also did a set, but I think these are impossible to find today.
Alternatively there's this company that makes sets for both MiG-25 exhausts styles:

http://www.click2detail.com/apps/search?q=mig-25

They don't look bad either but are more expensive than the Armory ones. Postage doesn't look too bad considering they are US based but of course can easily be higher than postage from Europe

17 minutes ago, Kes said:

Condor Micojan (yep, thats what it says?) 

A little off topic, but maybe interesting to know: Transcription of cyrillic (Russian) letters is different in different languages. "Mikoyan", "Ilyushin", "Sukhoi" and "Yakovlev" is correct in English. But in, for instance, German, correct spelling is "Mikojan", "Iljuschin", "Suchoj" and "Jakowlew" (and in Swedish it is "Mikojan", "Suchoj", "Iljusjin" and "Jakovlev". ) And in French, correct spelling of "Sukhoi" is Soukhoï! :)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Wow, again a fantastic response within half an hour! Great place this Britmodeller thing??

Thanks for your replies guys, an interesting assortment to be had there 'Giorgio N', shame that as 'Mig Eater' points out it would be more economical to buy another kit? there's one on eBay right now for less than a tenner inc P+P??

The problem being I'd end up in the same predicament owning a kit with a bit missing??

Bjorn, great stuff, keep it coming!!

. . . Kes

• Like 2

I have a similar problem with an old Mig-31 kit that only has half a nose/cockpit. I thought I might be able to send you the exhausts from that but the engines are moulded as a single piece with part of the brake parachute on top, so it wouldn't fit your kit. Plus it might cost a lot in postage so again it would probably be more economical to buy the kit again.

If you are going to have a kit with a missing engine might I suggest making it into a scrap yard wreck diorama. I though about doing that for my Mig-31 but I'd have to bury it's head in the sand like an ostrich to cover up the missing parts :P 

Edited by Mig Eater

11 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

If you are going to have a kit with a missing engine might I suggest making it into a scrap yard wreck diorama.  I though about doing that for my Mig-31 but I'd have to bury it's head in the sand like an ostrich to cover up the missing parts  

http://www.byronhartshorn.com/2014/11/15/why-iraq-buried-its-air-force/ 

:) 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook

If I could have those parts that would be fantastic! I'm sure I could get them to fit, it would add to the whole 'what if' back story too!!

I'd be grateful if you'd consider it?

. . . Kes

3 hours ago, Bjorn said:

A little off topic, but maybe interesting to know: Transcription of cyrillic (Russian) letters is different in different languages. "Mikoyan", "Ilyushin", "Sukhoi" and "Yakovlev" is correct in English. But in, for instance, German, correct spelling is "Mikojan", "Iljuschin", "Suchoj" and "Jakowlew" (and in Swedish it is "Mikojan", "Suchoj", "Iljusjin" and "Jakovlev". ) And in French, correct spelling of "Sukhoi" is Soukhoï! :)

What an international group we are! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Here are the parts, if you really want them I don't mind sending them to you as long as you pay for the postage.

mig31_engine_zps27mzwhd7.jpg

Yup, absolutely, many thanks, I'll PM my details 

. . . Kes

I have a condor kit and I've bought the Armory Aftermarket parts for mine so happy to let you have my kit parts if you can use them.

Regards,

Mark

On 16.05.2017 at 4:51 PM, Bjorn said:

Correctly Mikoyan and Gurevich respectively 
the correct reduction "M&G" :) or "M and G" :) 

but it dissonantly because write MiG.
In general "МиГ" and "Микоян и Гуревич" is the most correct!

:):)

On 16.05.2017 at 6:38 PM, Mig Eater said:

I have a similar problem with an old Mig-31 kit that only has half a nose/cockpit. I thought I might be able to send you the exhausts from that but the engines are moulded as a single piece with part of the brake parachute on top, so it wouldn't fit your kit. Plus it might cost a lot in postage so again it would probably be more economical to buy the kit again.

If you are going to have a kit with a missing engine might I suggest making it into a scrap yard wreck diorama. I though about doing that for my Mig-31 but I'd have to bury it's head in the sand like an ostrich to cover up the missing parts :P 

Not absolutely I understand what relation the jet engine from MiG-31 has to MiG-25?
On MiG-31 jet engines of Solovev D-30 and on MiG-25 Tumansky R-15 jet engines are installed.
These are different engines even on classification of Tumansky R-15 - Turbojet
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumansky_R-15
Solovev D-30 - 
two-shaft low-bypass turbofan engine, officially referred to as a "bypass turbojet."       
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soloviev_D-30

There was one or several (I definitely don't remember) experimental MiG-25 for whom the D-30 engine according to the program MiG-31 was tested but it were not front planes.
There were plans to re-equip everything MiG-25 with the D-30 engine but they remained on paper.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark