Lavochkin La-7 ; 72nd scale eduard kit .

Hello everyone , I built this kit as part of the "From Russia with Love GB" . The kit goes together without any trouble whatsoever and is up to usual eduard standards . A mistake is the cowling red doesn't quite matches the decal though in my defence , they did when the decal was on the sheet .  Weathered the model by post shading various shades of base colour and oil ; the wing root chipping was done by salt masking while the chipping along panel lines were done by a fine paint brush .  

26ED42C7-50A5-4073-8EEE-87703AE6AC35_zps

52301DCC-4D9C-409E-8AB0-60BDE8110F1A_zps

3FC2E411-41D8-40A5-8A40-BF677DCEBD25_zps

AD94E4F1-56EC-4B74-A5AD-4762EE38A529_zps

B4F12A72-7955-4BDA-8DDB-B1A045C8F230_zps

Regards , 
Basu Roy 

• Like 26

Thanks everyone for your kind words :)

21 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

It looks stonking! I'm just about to finish the profipack version of the La-7 and love the level of weathering you have gone to. Any tips are greatly appreciated! 

Michelle. 

Thanks :) , I will jot down the steps followed during painting and weathering -
1.  Painted and masked the NMF panel behind exhaust as well as sprayed the wing roots with the same paint . Masked around the wing roots using salt masking technique .
2. Sprayed the base colours .
3.  I mixed lighter shades of the dark grey and sprayed it inside the panels without following any pattern . 
4. I used oil - mainly white and to a lesser extent , sepia , to further break down the surface uniformity . I did this by applying tiny(really tiny - pinhead size) dots of oil along the leading edge of the wing and then drawing them along the wind flow using a brush . The underside blue was weathered in similar fashion .
5. The small paint chips along panel lines were painted  on using a fine brush . 
6. The exhaust streaks were airbrushed using a mix of black and hull red . I personally feel I overdid the streaks and they are one thing I wish I could tone down . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

Thanks :) , I will jot down the steps followed during painting and weathering -
1.  Painted and masked the NMF panel behind exhaust as well as sprayed the wing roots with the same paint . Masked around the wing roots using salt masking technique .
2. Sprayed the base colours .
3.  I mixed lighter shades of the dark grey and sprayed it inside the panels without following any pattern . 
4. I used oil - mainly white and to a lesser extent , sepia , to further break down the surface uniformity . I did this by applying tiny(really tiny - pinhead size) dots of oil along the leading edge of the wing and then drawing them along the wind flow using a brush . The underside blue was weathered in similar fashion .
5. The small paint chips along panel lines were painted  on using a fine brush . 
6. The exhaust streaks were airbrushed using a mix of black and hull red . I personally feel I overdid the streaks and they are one thing I wish I could tone down . 

Thanks that's great.....can I ask about salt masking? Not tried this!

Thanks Michelle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Thanks that's great.....can I ask about salt masking? Not tried this!

Thanks Michelle. 

Salt masking steps -
1. Spray the paint you wish to expose via chipping - in this case , metal aluminium .
2. Wet the surface slightly . It should NOT be dripping wet , just moist . 
3. Sprinkle table salt over the wet surface - what happens is some of salt get stuck on the surface as hard crystals after getting moistened in a hapazhard pattern that closely mimics paint chipping .
4. Spray the top colour . This should be done at a low pressure to not blow away the salt crystals . Keep in mind that around a third of the salt is blow away during airbrushing so overmask initially . 

The process is very easy but there is one negative - some paints , especially tamiya acrylic , develope a milky complexion near the salt crystals and this looks extremely ugly  .  I however read that on application of clear coat , the milky layer vanishes . I can confirm that was the case with this model . Make sure the paint is dry when it hits the surface ; the milky complexion perhpas happen because a wet layer of paint slightly disolves the salt crystal . 

I will suggest that you refer to this youtube video as well -

• Like 2

Fantastic rendition of this classic Russian airplane, beautiful paintjob and weathering.

The only thing that irritates me is the difference of shade between the red theeth on the nose (decal, I suppose?) and the areas painted red.

That, of course, is just a very tiny irritation ... !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Fantastic rendition of this classic Russian airplane, beautiful paintjob and weathering.

The only thing that irritates me is the difference of shade between the red theeth on the nose (decal, I suppose?) and the areas painted red.

That, of course, is just a very tiny irritation ... !

Thanks :) and yes you are correct , the decals are different shade from the painted nose. I did the mistake of comparing the shades when the decals were on the sheet but on application , I found they went a shade lighter . 

Brilliant La-7! The weathering looks very convincing, and if you're worried about the engine exhaust stains being too heavy, I wouldn't. The ASh-82 engine put out quite a bit of exhaust. I have one of these in the stash, which I shall return too, perhaps sooner than later seeing what great results can be achieved with the kit (mine won't look anywhere nearly as good as yours, though).

Regards,

Jason

On ‎19‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Basuroy said:

Thanks :) and yes you are correct , the decals are different shade from the painted nose. I did the mistake of comparing the shades when the decals were on the sheet but on application , I found they went a shade lighter . 

I know this problem very well, has happened to me, too!

Top quality build, however.

• Like 1