McLaren MP4/5B (Tamiya 1:20)

Hi All,

Here's my entry for this GB. I need to complete my 'Russia GB' entry first so this may be a little late off the grid.

I have some aftermarket parts to go with it and depending on how the build progresses, I may hunt for some more

Cheers

34529257662_38ecd38819_o.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent - one of your lovely car builds! I will look forward to following this! Looks like you have nice extras too. :popcorn:

Are Tamiya usually as good at making racing car kits like they are at  Armour and Aircraft kits? (well the ones I have build anyway).

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

This is the first Tamiya F1 car I have attempted. However, Tamiya kits being what the are, I'm hoping this will be a pleasure. Time will tell :whistle:

Cheers

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hewy said:

its a very nice kit nigel,i built it a while ago,good choice i like Mclarens will it be senna's markings

glynn

Hi Glynn, It certainly will :)

One of the best parts of this GB in my mind is the variety of subjects available within its remit and here's a cracking example. Looks like you've a nice selection of goodies to go with it as well :speak_cool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hewy said:

Ah good stuff ,now the kv is finished I'm looking forward to seeing this come together have you got the after market  Marlborough decals for it nigel

Glynn

Hi Glynn, Still on the search for decals at a reasonable price. May have to bite the bullet some time soon though :( 

Found some decals (in Italy) and hoping they'll arrive soon.

In the interim, the build has commenced and there's a lot of black painting involved. It's surprising how the black parts strain the eyes so much!  :hypnotised:

Spot the coloured paint!

34354854144_037ebf4fc8_o.jpg

• Like 4

Yes i can spot it ,and i take it this means you wont be using the carbon fibre decals, now I'm really interested,  i like it,,,got mine from italy too, they wont take too long ,

Glynn

• Like 1

Hi Glynn,

I couldn't justify the cost of the carbon decals. They were more than twice the price of what I paid for the kit (with etched parts).

Particularly as the finished build will sit on a shelf that's understood by neither the wife nor kids ;) 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 7:09 PM, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one underway Nigel. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

This build was awaiting the completion of my KV-1 but she's round the first corner now so here's a few more pics of the progress to date.

I was looking at aftermarket seatbelts but opted for the 'box' option. Whilst the camera is very critical, they don't look too bad to the naked eye.

34475175054_a997d8b9fd_o.jpg

34475175294_49c279701b_o.jpg

34475175664_ec8ef2bfd6_o.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hi, this is looking really neat so far. Look forward to seeing this progress.

Ray

Thanks Ray :) Enjoying the sunshine this weekend - too good to be indoors hence progress may be delayed slightly ;)  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 1:04 PM, PlaStix said:

That is looking excellent Nigel. Very impressive detail work! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix. Progress is slow due to work and home. I'm also at Goodwood FoS tomorrow so it could be another weekend behind the safety car ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this project is still underway Nigel. Looking good. Hope you manage to find more time for it soon. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:32 PM, PlaStix said:

Great to see this project is still underway Nigel. Looking good. Hope you manage to find more time for it soon. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix - So slow due to everyday life is steering me away from my workbench at the moment. All good, just busy. They say patience is a virtue but it's one I need to learn ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...