BR standard class 9F 92220 Evening Star - FINISHED

nimrod54

She's looking great buddy. 

I know the feeling, lots of masking and painting at the domestic level. Have managed to steal a few moments into the man cave for its remodelling. Have a nice floor and a new work bench that needs assembling. We have ducks now, so a new project has been presented with a timeline of 3 weeks. Mind you the smell of these ducklings in the living room is enough motivation! Would like to finish the Gladiator too 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

Cheers H. I have been able to grab some modelling time over the last couple of days. There are certain jobs that I would be of no practical use due of my arthritis, so Caron has been continuing with those and I have been allowed to work on my models, but I think that it is back to the decorating tomorrow.

The duck project sounds interesting, but having heard Caron's experiences with those that they had in school, I don't envy you the fragrance. Will it be Daffy for Christmas? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

Like it, its making me want one of these kits 

Glynn

It's a good starting point Glynn, and as you can see just a few improvements make a difference.

Update

I thought that I would be back to decorating today, but because of other commitments SWMBO has deferred this until next week, woohoo modelling time.

I am still working on a few small details and refinements at the moment and today my focus has been on the tender. Whenever I have worked on this lately I have been unhappy with the look of the ladder at the rear left side. This is a moulded detail on the kit and it should really be a separate item that stands off the rear face supported by some brackets. It should also come around at the top and locate on the top surface of the tender. I decided to remove this detail and scratch a suitable replacement from some plasticard.

I started this work by rounding over each end of a strip of plastic which was cut to a length that would allow me to get two sides out, I used some of the leftover plastic from this stage to make the ladder rungs, all the measurements to make this were taken from the kit detail before its removal.

Here is the tender before this modification work.

36066638580_9ae70aebe3_c.jpg

The scratch built replacement item and a shot of this temporarily held in place with Blu-Tack. As can be seen from the last photo, it isn't quite as chunky as it looks below.

36295467482_c01d8535b0_c.jpg

36066639000_e92fa8d753_c.jpgll

Just some final sanding to tidy things up before painting and its re-attachment once the main painting is completed. 

• Like 5

Wonderful stuff! The Airfix/Rosebud trains have really good basic shapes under all the heavy moulded on detail, so your enhancements are right on point.  BTW I just had a look at all the old packets of brass wire that my Dad used to use in the 1980s and they are all marked "Alan Gibson"!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

@AdrianMF

Thanks for the feedback Adrian. I sometimes wonder if I am going a step too far, so it's good to know that improvements are heading in the right direction. Alan Gibson parts are still being produced by a small company in Oldham, and they definitely make a big difference to these kits.

I have finally made a start on painting the main colour today by adding a first coat of BR Loco Green to the boiler and cab. I also completed the handrails over the weekend with the last ones being fixed to the cab sides

36518319906_2d1984e32e_c.jpg

• Like 6

@Hockeyboy76

Thanks H, I managed to get a second coat on today and whilst it looks pretty good, I think that a final thinned coat should help to even things out. I had missed the BBC4 programme on the Tornado but watched it this afternoon on iPlayer, a great programme and well worth a look, so thanks for the heads up about that too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

@Hockeyboy76

Thanks H, I managed to get a second coat on today and whilst it looks pretty good, I think that a final thinned coat should help to even things out. I had missed the BBC4 programme on the Tornado but watched it this afternoon on iPlayer, a great programme and well worth a look, so thanks for the heads up about that too.

No worries buddy. An enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. 

• Like 1

@PlaStix

Thanks for the kind comment Stix, I feel that it is starting to come together now. This and the Basset are getting quite close to the end now, so I am hoping to make a start on the Deltic soon.

I was able to brush a final thinned coat of green on the boiler and cab this morning whilst Mrs N was painting the hallway ceiling, but this afternoon it is over to me to crack on with the walls - so there won't be a lot of time for modelling. I just have to paint the cab roof cream on the inside and black on top then it can be joined to the boiler and the paintwork made good, after that it is on with painting the smaller details, pipework etc.

35817884943_c0b32a6de4_c.jpg

35817884083_1150eaf0a0_c.jpg

Things are busy here at the moment, with re-decorating after having a new door and windows fitted plus a Cocker Spaniel puppy due to be picked up next weekend, I am grabbing build time whenever I can. But just for the record, would you kindly ignore any mangled wings/bite marks on my future completed models, although I guess with some judicious reworking they could become battle damage. :D

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I did some work on this but over the last day or so I have been able to paint the interior of the cab roof cream, sprayed some satin black on the top of the cab and joined the cab to the boiler.

36925898275_da6f875c1e_c.jpg

36786211661_052c78665f_c.jpg

36925901615_e125e63fde_c.jpg

A clean up of the cab joints and a touch up of the paint should complete this stage. I then want to add some glazing to the cab before I finally join the boiler to the footplate.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent the past couple of days completing some final details, painting the pipework and a few other touch ups, and this was followed by a couple of gloss coat in readiness for applying the decals. I should complete the decaling phase over the weekend and I am hoping to have this finished shortly after that.

37100539011_8a1962abd9_c.jpg

37243238235_89c70c6c03_c.jpg

• Like 4

I have completed the final bits and pieces on this over the past couple of days - coal in the tender, vac-pipes, three link couplings etc. I also had some lamp brackets to add but having looked at them again they don't appear to be of the correct type, so the search continues for those. I have added a couple of 3D printed crew figures purchased from Modelu in Wales, their site is well worth a visit for those who are interested in crew for their locomotives.

Here are the final photos for this build, I'll try and take some better shots for the gallery before the deadline.

37228939791_fdc2f814d6_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37228938811_ef1360586d_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36519206844_9d445c1141_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36519207884_873fd1ac3a_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

36519208914_0db1d80a79_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37228937751_bd6e30caa8_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

Now it's time to press on with the Deltic, I hope that I can get it finished in time but it won't have the same level of detail that this has.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Very nice dude. Love the figures too. Were they pre pInted or have you been straining the eyes again. Really must finish my Gladiator.  

Cheers mate. The figures came unpainted and were printed in a red colour resin type material. A quick coat of satin black then some thin coats of enamel and acrylics for the final colours.

• Like 1