BR standard class 9F 92220 Evening Star - FINISHED

nimrod54

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hi really impressive work with the hand rails,  no blobs of ca I see, unlike mine,  

, glynn

Hi Glynn,

I fix one part at a time and use small amounts of thin CA, then I quickly wick any excess away with the edge of some kitchen paper towel.

HTH

• Like 2

Having picked up some materials from my LMRS, I have removed some of the other details from the left side of the boiler and this will help with the clean up.

DSC02110_zps4jfljouv.jpg

I have also decided to remove the two sections of pipe which run down the sides at the front end of the boiler (highlighted blue).

DSC02111_zpsefrjvi3u.jpg 

These will be replaced with sections of brass tube which I have annealed to make it easier to bend into shape. As you can see, I have already replaced the single pipe on the right side.

DSC02112_zpsxnshngnu.jpg

• Like 7

I just caught up with this.

Another one of my favourite locomotives :).

Some super improvements going on.

The rails look very good, the pipe is a big improvement.

Looking forward to watching this develop.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice progress buddy, loving the pipework. Do you have shares in brass rod?😉

:D Cheers H, I must admit that I seem to have used a fair amount of tube and rod on this one so far and I still have the tender handrails to complete. Watch out for the share price rising and then it's... SELL! SELL! SELL!  :bleh:   

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with this.

Another one of my favourite locomotives :).

Some super improvements going on.

The rails look very good, the pipe is a big improvement.

Looking forward to watching this develop.

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony and welcome on board. I hope that you enjoy watching.

Update time

I have now re-instated the detail on the left side of the boiler, It was fun trying to recreate diamond shaped piece on the lever mechanism that runs along the top of the firebox and boiler. After around half-a-dozen attempts I got something that looked about right, but decided against making the fork-ends that connect to this, so the rods are just glued in position. I used a micro chisel to create more of a step on the moulded wedge of plastic at the bottom of the firebox.

DSC02115_zpsbuz2eeiq.jpg

This work was followed by another test fit of the handrail, I need to find some photos to check the look of this where the last handrail knob locates on the smoke box. At present the handrail is pinched in at this point which seems to make sense as it drops behind the smoke deflector, but if it's supposed to run parallel then I may need to add a longer handrail knob here. 

DSC02116_zpsrlkqjurj.jpg

A bit more work and then it will be time for some primer.

• Like 9

Hi John,

you handle fine metal tubing like an artist, and the result is absolutely smashing! This previous sentence is to be read with a strong Scottish accent, by the way, as we have a Scot lass staying with us... Gone is my Inspecteur Clouseau's accent! Damn!!!

Anyway, this locomotive is turning into a minute masterpiece.

Impressive!

JR

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Hewy said:

Most impressive john, some really nice improvements that are adding a great deal to the overall model ,

Glynn

20 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

you handle fine metal tubing like an artist, and the result is absolutely smashing! This previous sentence is to be read with a strong Scottish accent, by the way, as we have a Scot lass staying with us... Gone is my Inspecteur Clouseau's accent! Damn!!!

Anyway, this locomotive is turning into a minute masterpiece.

Impressive!

JR

Thanks for your comments gents. I have made up the handrail f't'otherside ('for the other side' for the non Lancastrians out there) and replaced the last handrail knob with a longer one, this seems to look better but I can always make the final decision later in the build.

@jean

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Inspector Clouseau accent. Perhaps this link will help you to regain it,  it is one of my favourite Inspector Clouseau clips.

Enjoy

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

With the Beagle Basset having been set aside for the paint to harden off, I decided to jump back on this today. I primed, painted and assembled the wheels to the lower frame, then painted the footplate with some satin black masking the edges up first in preparation for the green.

I was tinkering about with the handrail fit having used one of the longer parts for the for last attachment point on the smokebox. Because of the nature of the material the parts keep springing away from the boiler, so I will hold off on a final decision once I start to fix them permanently into position. My next job will be to paint and fix the connecting rods and running gear.

35149573114_496b37971d_c.jpg

35149574014_68ab5ce67d_c.jpg

• Like 9

Coming along nicely.

I have the Airfix boxing of this loco and it nice seeing plenty of good tips on how it should be built!

Dave

• Like 1

@Hewy

@davecov

@spaddad

Thanks for the comments gents. I ordered some paint from Phoenix Precision for this (and the Deltic Prototype,which I have to make a proper start on yet} last night, so I should be getting some colour shortly after that arrives. But before that, I need to crack on with the last few details and also try to remember the 'safe place' that the lamp brackets and vac pipes currently reside in. :shrug: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

and also try to remember the 'safe place' that the lamp brackets and vac pipes currently reside in. :shrug: 

That's spooky, I think I've got the same safe place as you!

• Like 2

Hello John

Re the handrail knobs:

I've had a look through my RCTS Class 9F book and the front handrail knob (which is just behind the rear edge of the deflector) is definitely shorter than those on the side of the boiler - hence the handrail tapers inwards over the smokebox.

Hope this confirms your thoughts

Mike

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, spaddad said:

That's spooky, I think I've got the same safe place as you!

EUREKA! I've found it. All I have to do now is remember what I was looking for. :D

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

That's very nice buddy. Getting plenty of tips for mine. 

Thanks matey, glad that you like. One thing that I wish I had done on this build that you may want to try, would be to replace the pipes over the top of the firebox with some wire. I did run a scriber between the double pipes on the right side which has improved that, but the single one down the left and where they run across the top could do with some added relief. I may see if I can improve that, but it might be a bit late in the day.

I hope the home renovations are going well and that you get some time off for good behaviour over the summer. 

13 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hello John

Re the handrail knobs:

I've had a look through my RCTS Class 9F book and the front handrail knob (which is just behind the rear edge of the deflector) is definitely shorter than those on the side of the boiler - hence the handrail tapers inwards over the smokebox.

Hope this confirms your thoughts

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, your info was very useful and has helped to confirm my findings that the handrail does appear to be pinched in where it sits behind the deflector.

I spent some time yesterday trawling through suitable online images and I finally decided that the handrail knobs along the boiler to the smoke box were the same size. I feel that the pinched in appearance is caused by the step between the boiler and the smoke box. On the final fit, I found that the long handrail knob actually pushed the handrail out, I think that the short version would have brought it in too much, but - in the words of Goldilocks - the medium one was just right.

I completed the final fit of the handrails last night and you can see the results in the photos below and will be able to judge if I have made the right conclusion.

Thanks again for taking the time to search through for that.

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Great progress John, brass work look's superb too.

Thanks a lot Steve, it's a shame that a fair amount of it will end up with paint on it. Perhaps one day I should try and tackle one of the older locomotives with all the gleaming brass work.

Here are a few photos that show the final handrail fit and mods to the pipes that I have mentioned above.

35652083250_e50f8ae2f8_c.jpg

35652083030_1466a04350_c.jpg

35652082650_60ec165515_c.jpg

35652082290_4e2c4a1a50_c.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for that Mike, your info was very useful and has helped to confirm my findings that the handrail does appear to be pinched in where it sits behind the deflector.

I spent some time yesterday trawling through suitable online images and I finally decided that the handrail knobs along the boiler to the smoke box were the same size. I feel that the pinched in appearance is caused by the step between the boiler and the smoke box. On the final fit, I found that the long handrail knob actually pushed the handrail out, I think that the short version would have brought it in too much, but - in the words of Goldilocks - the medium one was just right.

I completed the final fit of the handrails last night and you can see the results in the photos below and will be able to judge if I have made the right conclusion.

Thanks again for taking the time to search through for that.

Looks good to me!

• Like 1

Looks good to me too John. It is making me wonder whether I should crack out my Airfix Biggin Hill loco I have in the stash. All the extra brasswork makes it look so different to how the original model manufacturer would have it!

Ray

• Like 1

@nimrod54

Renovations going well buddy. The misses keeps finding new jobs to fill my time, and have a King Tiger Tank to build for a museum. Only 1/35 at the moment. Its my first tank build too. So house renovations & Tank is leaving little time for the Gladiator. Hopefully will get the man cave floor sorted soon then can properly unpack & free up the kitchen table. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Mrs N off work for the summer break I haven't had a lot of time for modelling, plenty of masking and painting though - sadly most of this has been at the domestic level. There has been a very small amount of progress on Evening Star since the last update, the handrails are now permanently fixed the smokebox has been painted black the backhead has also had some paint and the details picked out and the valve and running gear is on, just the forward bogie to add to complete this work.

35573529694_28de552caa_c.jpg

35600905353_3a8ba8bb0b_c.jpg

35573529174_8051a3c674_c.jpg

I've also started to replace the handrails on the cab sides and have added some extra detail to the inside of these. I'm not sure about the diamond plate on the footplate, this appears to be wood in the photos I have found but I don't know if this is a later addition

35600904433_78fba4476b_c.jpg

35573531924_bc19c7f69a_c.jpg

35573532534_c52d95a5ba_c.jpg

• Like 6