BR standard class 9F 92220 Evening Star - FINISHED

nimrod54

Having made the assumption that the work I have carried out so far falls within the 25% rule I am going to include this as my second build. As can be seen in the photos, the only items that have been glued are the boiler and the lower frame halves, so I think that this is a fair assumption when considering the improvements (such as replacement of the handrails) I would like to make, I hope that this is OK. However, if there are any objections I would like to continue with the build but will not include final photos in the gallery.

Evening Star was built at the Swindon Works in 1960 and, as well as being 999th standard class, was the last steam locomotive built by BR (though not numerically). She was the only class 9F to be named following a competition run by BR Western Region staff magazine, though other preserved 9F's have received names since. After five years service over the Western Region and Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, 92220 was withdrawn and placed in storage. In 1966 the locomotive was towed to Crewe for overhaul and restoration and is part of the NRM's National Collection. More information can be found here

DSC01998_zps4o85uzgj.jpg

Work carried out so far.

DSC01999_zps3bfwjswj.jpg

• Like 4

If this is going to be a touch on your City of Truro work, then I'll just but away my tools and stand back in complete awe. But one question if I may, why don't you bin the whole kit and go for a complete scratch build?B)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

But one question if I may, why don't you bin the whole kit and go for a complete scratch build?B)

:rofl:

The simple answer to that Mj is, 'cos I ain't good enough' , made me chuckle though. :D

'ain't good enough'? Really! I've just noticed the level of flash on some of those parts; I think scratch build would save you a lot of time! And without wishing to influence the mods in their decision but I'd say that by your standard you're under 2.5% complete, never mind 25%

MJ

PS, as you're under an hour from Newton-le-Willows, why don't you go local and thrill us with the protoype Deltic

• Like 1

One of my favourite locos here dude. Safe to say I have one in the stash too. Looking forward to this build, especially after The City of Truro. 

• Like 1

Nice to see a "10-coupled" being entered.  I did (briefly) consider a DJH BR Class 5MT 4-6-0 but at the rate I build loco kits would need a 6 month group build at least!

Strangely I saw Evening Star heading a westbound freight out of Hull a couple of weeks ago, Brunswick green with full black / orange lining - unfortunately it's number started with 66 not 92 :(

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Nice to see a "10-coupled" being entered.  I did (briefly) consider a DJH BR Class 5MT 4-6-0 but at the rate I build loco kits would need a 6 month group build at least!

Strangely I saw Evening Star heading a westbound freight out of Hull a couple of weeks ago, Brunswick green with full black / orange lining - unfortunately it's number started with 66 not 92 :(

Some lovely kits in the DJH range and they deserve some time being spent on them, the LNER Garratt looks a beauty.

66 Evening Star must still have been a nice site but, had I been there, I would have preferred it to have been 92 as well.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, Mjwomack said:

why don't you go local and thrill us with the prototype Deltic.

:hmmm:

No, I must resist. I must resist. I must resist.

It does sound like a great idea though.

Great choice John,I build a good few if these Airfix/Dapol kits years ago very enjoyable,must have a go at the city of Truro one day

I never built that particular one.

• Like 1

Well, resistance was futile. I have ordered Dapol's Deltic prototype kit and this is now on its way. It could be a lot of work, but I am hopeful that I can finish both kits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Well, resistance was futile. I have ordered Dapol's Deltic prototype kit and this is now on its way. It could be a lot of work, but I am hopeful that I can finish both kits.

Always up for a challenge or two eh!

I found Dapols Battle of Britain Class yesterday in one of my boxes (while searching for my supplies) & thought hmmmm.......

• Like 1

After yesterdays events my concentration levels have been lacking and I have spent the day flitting around from job to job. One of them was to make a start on some detail work for Evening Star, nothing too taxing just some mocking up of the handrail on one of the deflector plates. I started by removing most of the moulded handrail from the deflector just leaving a trace so I could establish the locations for the replacement handrail knobs. I drilled holes at these points to accept the knobs and then remove the remaining detail. Once that was done I bent some 0.45 brass wire around a BBQ skewer to give a nice radius and also made a bend at one end to stop the knobs sliding off. The handrail was then test fitted and I think that is an improvement over the original.

I now need to remove the remaining short hand grab at the lower front edge and replace this too, once that is finished I will fix everything in place and trim the handrail to length.

All in all not a lot done but it is a start. I will also check on availability of any other bits I will need and start to get get those ordered over the weekend.

DSC02059_zpsodmzumzz.jpg

DSC02060_zpsbvsmautu.jpg

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Are the knobs easy to get hold of?

Try this, various sizes, small, medium and large(refering to length) but the sizes(width or length)may change from manufacturer to manufacturer

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=4+mm+handrail+knobs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU583xkIzUAhXLDsAKHUpbDw4Q_AUIBygC&biw=1280&bih=890

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, JamesP said:

Are the knobs easy to get hold of?

James,

These are the ones that I am using Alan Gibson 4mm I bought these from Mainly Trains but I don't think that they are trading now. However, apart from purchasing directly from the manufacturer, they are also available via this ebay seller. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alan-Gibson-G4M54-4mm-Handrail-Knobs-Medium-x-25-00-/400950268232

HTH

• Like 1

I spent some time getting rid of the flash and removing the coal from the tender parts this morning. I then blanked off the areas where the coal had been with some black plasticard and assembled the parts. I have left the wheels off because I think that there will be enough spring in the side to pop these in  Next job will be to check reference photos to see how the handrails are fitted before I start to replace them.

DSC02061_zpsgktjggyx.jpg 

DSC02063_zpsjna3h6ny.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Hows it building buddy? I have the Airfix one in my stash. Same moulds I imagine. 

It's not too bad actually and yours will be an earlier release so I would think that the mouldings should be a bit crisper. There was a bit of warping on the side panels with this one but with some Tamiya Green Cap and a little finger pressure things went together OK. I left a set of wheels in place whilst I was assembling the tender just to be sure that I was keeping everything lined up

The Airfix kit is the same kit. This one has Dapol on one of the tender sides and I have just checked the Deltic kit and that has Rosebud/Kitmaster on the base, so over time they have done the rounds.

• Like 1

Once again the new details you are adding provide a massive improvement over the moulded parts John :goodjob:

• Like 1

Things are progressing slowly and I managed a bit more today. I've finished the handrails on the smoke deflectors and scraped away most of the moulded detail on the smoke box door and the hand rail, door darts and door hinge pin have been replaced with brass items. I still need to add a support for the door number and a lamp iron to finish this off.

DSC02108_zpslohwwnne.jpg

DSC02106_zpssm2ppc9s.jpg

DSC02107_zpsmaciwofz.jpg

I have also removed the handrail from one side of the boiler and drilled out the positions for the replacement handrail knobs. The clean up was quite difficult and I am still not too happy with it, so I am going to see what other bits I can find before I remove the remaining details to enable me to tidy things up further.

DSC02109_zps6eq7gpmy.jpg

• Like 6