***Finished*** Airfix Fairey Firefly

To be comfimed, going to be a sizable build, would love to tackle the airfix victor in the stash but the valiant I was doing is a disaster (and the reason behind it may not be unrepeatable). Had an airfix lanc ready with bulged bomb doors and suitable decals, but not entirely sure now, something in me wants to do the airfix shackelton instead as I've already done a lanc this year. Though maybe Ill switch and do a revell hailfax. I may also be in with a 2nd attempt at the airfix vulcan if I can acquire an older issue which is supposdely easier to work with. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Having been away from the forum for a wee while due to personal matters I'm a little behind and trying hard to catch up so didn't realise you'd picked the Revell kit. Sure it'll prove to be a good choice and I'm now looking forward to reading your progress and thoughts on it.

• Like 1

Wasn't able to work on it on sunday but my football team was invited to a post season cup tournament that day, was a long day out in the sun, so came home late afternoon in no state to do any modelling. Have been able to do a little since. Also just noticed how big this kit is, if it can finish it will be the largest I have succeeded building. 

3AEB141C-79C3-4716-9AB1-908421F3F6BF_zps

90AC0B5C-3531-487C-82B5-93A303A6132C_zps

• Like 2

Coming along the first time I've ever used all my pegs at once, and whats this mr postie has delivered? Seems I put a bid on it before I got the idea to do the shack. Perhaps I shall enter that once this is done, tried and failed it for the MIB1 so be nice to succeed this time

21B7362B-F95E-4E0E-8E87-8336F3F40281_zps

71590E4D-95B2-43FD-8867-2F9EA9CF8CED_zps

• Like 1

Had some fit issues with gear doors, but they are now on, also managed to free the window, and using some copper wire and glue tack got into position for gluing. Left the clear fix to try and got the tack out with a cocktail stick :) have knocked the wing aerials off but there being kept safe to one side 7B0332D1-9534-41EA-B5A7-11B2770EA7BC_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Lack of updates on this, having some serious remorse, know I'm going to loose some additional rivet detail to whats already been lost once I start filling and sanding it down. :( Though must remind myself I do model with the aim of it looking good on a shelf. Sure it will look fine from a distance so I must persit. 

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab270/BigStu08/Made in Britain GB/8CB3A9C9-576E-4094-9AF2-60B1AF78542B_zpsqlssaoys.jpg

• Like 2

Well I cracked on, yes I lsot a little rivet detail buts really not noticble at all, the rivits do fade off anyway with distance so just get the general sense of a riveted surface. Now painted tommorows job is too clean the transparencies off and the fun job of painting the prop blades. 48 bits of masking and painting. Hopefully I can speed on. 

EDIT: Noo, damn cockpit windows cracked in two when I cleaned them off, off to revell to order another set thats put a delay in things. Guess Ill have to start the vulcan instead. 

5D8BD862-0345-4D65-89E3-AB8CE97C4B3D_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 1 month later...

Well, looks like revell completely ignored my request for spares and indeed the follow up email. So I shall consider the shack aborted. Will proberly salavge the AEW bomb doors and radome to use on a cheap  airfix mr2. 

So this will become something else soon.

Genuinely surprised by this kit, yest the cockpit was laugable and the pilots aren't members of the human species but goes tethor very nicely and should look excellent even under my paintwork 

36531164911_f4ab64fb07_b.jpg

36500074152_2139557e8f_b.jpg

36273646390_16a44b7228_b.jpg

36500074152_2139557e8f_b.jpg

35834621224_2b815ac877_b.jpg

36669749265_abeaa13b67_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well this was interesting, had massive problems with the wing fold joins, both wings fell of and didn't fit back on well. Years of sanding and here we go just need to touch up the demarc, paint the blobs masquaring as crew and sort the  canopies out. As with my ill fated revell shack, rivits raised or recessed are all well and good if the kit fits like a Tamiya

36067141434_8c102700b4_b.jpg

• Like 1