1/16 D.I.Y. project: Panzer Tiger ( i don't know where this is gonna go )

so, i just had some spare wood and i was curious to see what i could do with it with mine own hands. I just bought a new drill and i wanted to try it, 

now, as a disclaimer, i don't know where this is gonna go, i may drop it, i may finish it, i don't know, it's a pretty ambitious project, still i'm surprised by how easy was so far and how good looking is coming ( i think ). 

well i've always been fascinated by the Tiger tank, i've seen there are an awful lot of tech information on it on this site and i said it, let's see if something can come out of it: 

http://tiger1.info/vehicle.html

So here's where i'm now after a weekend of work ( the idea is to make a late tiger: 

zXxVug6.jpg

Ija9JTg.jpg

Kw9Iev6.jpg

a little note on the work here: the main hull is made out of a fir wood table cut in a horseshoe shape and glued one on top of the other with common PVA glue. the floor is a unique piece of wood to give more solidity to the whole part. The roof is a panel fo plywood. the width of all parts is in scale with the model ( i still have to take some material from the bottom circle ). So far i've just added two beams under the roof with plasticard ( the beam exist on the real target ). The plan is to cover the outside wall with zimmerit and the inside wall with a sheet of plasticard to make it easier to glue details on the walls, therefore i won't be too maniacal in sanding it. 

the plan would be to keep on adding details inside and outside to the turret and than decide if building or not the hull too. the decision of an 1/16 scale is for three reasons:

1 - smaller scales would make it too hard to use wood as main material. 

2 - bigger scales would make it too big.

3 - 1/16 is an existing scale so i can find and buy parts from it, for example, if the project goes on i'm planning to buy already built tracks for it. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

that is all made using this:

cd301.jpg

2390427_1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

the circles are just drawn with a Compass on wood and than cut by freehand following it, in fact they're not as circular as they should, still this started as an experiment and i didn't bother to build some compass for the electric drill. 

54 minutes ago, Cromwell said:

Is it gonna be r/c or static?

a good start on the turret

the plan is to make it static, the intention is to add all the interior details. i'm trying to build a compass with the scrap wood, if i have time i'm gonna try it out the next days, i have to cut the inner circle where all the seats and other stuff are mounted on

This is a very unique project, good luck with your turret ring. If you got any cherrywood profiles, you could water them and bend them over the course of some time. I did a coiled spring for a marriage present some time ago, 3 360loops, took me 2.5 days (bending a bit further every 45mins). I can send you some rig information, which will be required to achieve a perfect circle.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Blaubar said:

This is a very unique project, good luck with your turret ring. If you got any cherrywood profiles, you could water them and bend them over the course of some time. I did a coiled spring for a marriage present some time ago, 3 360loops, took me 2.5 days (bending a bit further every 45mins). I can send you some rig information, which will be required to achieve a perfect circle.

Cheers

i'll gladly read anything you send me. that wasn't the way i planned to make it but i'm indeed open to any possible alternative solution

so, little update: i've put togheter some sort of compass with scrap wood and here's how it looks:

orVDfob.jpg

the circle you see should be the turret floor. I've cut a step in the lower turret walls and here's how it fits:

Z3OjMgW.jpg

so i've cut the hole in the ring too and here it is

PvOCp3z.jpg

wFUVpmM.jpg

it's still too wide, so i'll have to make the inner hole bigger but at least it fits with surprisingly good tolerance considering the turret was done with no compass device. 

the lower wall width is still irregular, i still have to fix it. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Great news with your progress.

glad you solved it. I was gonna send the mail tonight😂, too late now🙈.

well i still have to make some more circular parts, i would still be interested to read it if it's not too much disturb, may come in handy pretty soon. 

well, i've tried to make the pistol port and the two vision plugs, i think they've come out pretty well considering it is the first attempt. I've basically stuck them on the drill using it like a lathe.

they fit quite good in the holes.

ptSx9hx.jpg

NxEyvRH.jpg

i've also started to build the turret bin

VaU381b.jpg

everything needs a final sanding expecially the bin that is still very w.i,p, 

[little update] i'm practicing with brass making the hinges for the bin. Damn it's a painful process but the final result is quite good. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1