1/72nd Revell (SH) A-20G- 22 Sqn RAAF, 1944- FINISHED

Hiya Folks,

I`ve fancied doing a 22 Sqn RAAF A-20G Havoc for a while to go with my Boston Mk.III and Syd`s post here on BM a week or so ago prompted me to do something about it!

As the Revell (ex Special Hobby) night fighter Havoc kit which I had built recently as a Boston Mk.III seen here;

Image result for revell a-20 nighthawk 1/72

......had a late type solid nose left over I decided to use the Revell Boston Mk.V/ A-20J (another ex Special Hobby kit) kit seen here,.....but with the solid nose added;

Image result for revell boston 1/72 review

I started painting and whittling away last night and before I knew it I had got the main airframe together,....so I hope that Paul AJ doesn`t mind me `borrowing' his sprue shots from his own review here;

Image result for revell boston 1/72 review

hudsonsprue2.jpg

hudsoncloseup.jpg

It is a very nice kit but the fit of the separate nose can be a bit hit and miss!  I advise looking at Paul`s review for more excellent photos and views.

Now onto my own progress,....here is how far I got yesterday,.......with the solid nose leftover from the Revell night fighter variant;;

DSCF0446_zpss9fnb86w.jpg

To speed the process up a bit I applied Humbrol Grass Green from a rattle can to replicate the Interior Green colour with some rattle can black on the engines etc, although most of the black was actually brush painted.

Here are the DK Decals that I shall be using;

DSCF0447_zpsdkdcsmsm.jpg

352890-15526-11-pristine.jpg

And from this post here by Syd;

This is the aircraft that I intend to replicate,....A28-78, DU-R `Topsy' from 22 Sqn, RAAF on Noemfoor island in October 44,....although knowing me I could well change my mind along the way!;

A28_78_DU_R_001_zpsnkmxdr0k.jpg

plus another photo of the same aircraft from elsewhere showing the other side;

A_20G_A28_78_DU_R_43_22148_sized_zpsxnqp

I say things may change along the way as I`m not keen on the mixed national markings this time and I`m quite taken by the large national markings on this aircraft, A28-52 DU-C,.(again from Syd`s fantastic post- thanks mate). , but I`m still pondering how the codes were set up on the other side and whether it had a name or artwork,... even though the CO was against this at the time;

DU-C%202_zpsykvfrhgf.jpg

I have also found these interesting photos too;

A28-54, DU-E,...again with large roundels and fin flash,...another photo of the other side of this aircraft appears in Syd`s thread which s linked above;

DU-E_011%20A28-54_zpsiksq2urj.jpg

or A28-68, DU-X which has no fin flash but as I first suspected might be the case with DU-R,....it has roundels above both wings;

DU-X_011%20A28-68_zpsbecgcp0e.jpg

but cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

I've got a couple of these in the stash (a Boston V and a P-70) so I'll be watching with interest, as I haven't got the bottle to start them. Although I notice that you've assembled most of the kit before posting anything (a thoroughly rotten thing to do, if you ask me).

I was going to ask if you'd seen the thread on RAAF A-20s but you have, because I see you've commented on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beard said:

I've got a couple of these in the stash (a Boston V and a P-70) so I'll be watching with interest, as I haven't got the bottle to start them. Although I notice that you've assembled most of the kit before posting anything (a thoroughly rotten thing to do, if you ask me).

I was going to ask if you'd seen the thread on RAAF A-20s but you have, because I see you've commented on it.

Just go for it mate,......they are very nice kits,....the only problem is the fit of the nose and with my last one I was lucky and it was fine. The fit on this one wasn`t too bad either, just takes a bit of `fettling' to get it into place,... nothing beyond your skills I`m sure.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Here is another update;

After a sanding session some filler was applied just to make sure that the seams are OK;

DSCF0448_zpsj8hq4gg1.jpg

And the nacelles were attached;

DSCF0449_zpssqbb3epj.jpg

DSCF0450_zps4ckn3gz3.jpg

Last night,..after a sanding session,...I fitted the engines and nacelles and also applied the first coat of Humbrol 155 Olive Drab. After drying overnight, here is the second coat,...I`m .quite pleased with the coverage,.... but the nose looks strange to me and due to all of the sanding required,... most of the detail has been removed;

DSCF0451_zpsgw9mvjyh.jpg

DSCF0452_zpspp9csywe.jpg

I`ve got Pyhsio this afternoon but when I get back,.....if I`m OK,.....I`ll apply a lighter shade to the rudder and elevators followed by Medium Green `splotches' and also the Neutral Grey undersides,......I`ll also check my decals to see if I can make one of the options with larger roundels,

As I`m a bit wary of the nose on this model (and shouldn`t there be a slight bulge over the cheek guns too?) plus I thnk that the one in the Matchbox kit looks better,....I might just dig out a Matchbox kit and build another one alongside this one,...we`ll see!

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....just realised that I forgot to add the exhaust outlets on the nacelles,....bugger! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

The nose looks like it bulges slightly in the middle. Here's a photograph, I found on Wikipedia, from a similar angle:

300px-Douglas_A-20G_Havoc.jpg

The good news is that there aren't bulges over the cheek guns (albeit because this one doesn't have cheek guns).

Looking great mate but agree on the nose. My first impression is that it looks too pointy but looking at the photo of real thing, the whole lower profile forwards of the cockpit doesn't appear to taper as it should. Sanding the hell out of the lower side to put a taper in may work. You'll sort it I'm sure :)

• Like 1

Tony, the cheek guns on the "G"'s the panel was flush , a slightly bulged panel came out later on and on the "H"s it is noticeably bulged, as long as you can see the outline should be pretty close on 1/72, something added to the RAAF A-20G's was a fume extractor venturi under the cheek guns, the cheek guns had a fume extraction problem , causing fumes to get into the cockpit , generally on strafing runs only the 4 nose guns were used as the nose cleared of fumes ok .

• Like 1

Cheers lads and thanks for the added info Syd,....much obliged.

Right here is another update,....I did quite a bit of painting yesterday and this morning;

Control surfaces masked off ready to apply Xtracolor Faded Olive Drab to replicate the faded fabric;

DSCF0454_zpsi1jcftqr.jpg

Having found some suitable decals from the spares box with codes and serial coming from Xtradecal and Ventura respectively I`ve decided to go for A28-54, DU-T, seen here,...the first photo coming from Syd`s fabulous thread;

.DU-VE-iloveimg-converted_zpsnvwwhwgu.jpg

DU-E_011%20A28-54_zpsiksq2urj.jpg 

So,....now that I had my subject I applied Polly Scale acrylic Neutral Grey onto the undersides (2 coats) and to replicate the Medium Green `splotches' I used Aeromaster US Dark Green, which I also used to replicate the painted over US star and bar markings. Some silver chipping has also been done too and a coat of gloss varnish ready for the decals;

DSCF0455_zpsztgzd3sk.jpg

DSCF0456_zpscohu2neg.jpg

DSCF0457_zpsp11ljaw8.jpg

As you may have seen from the last photo,....I have tried to replicate the strike camera in the rear of the right nacelle by drilling an angled hole and tidying it up by flattening the surrounding area and filing the hole.

DSCF0458_zpsxtyxfqx4.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edit,....having looked at it again with fresh eyes this morning it looks like A28-54, DU-E might have had a different style of strike camera fitted which is right in the rear tip of the nacelle,....I`m sure Syd will tell me if I`m wrong! Bugger.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

The first 12 A-20G's 50 to 60 and 64 went thru 3AD and had their US markings over painted with OD properly so the over painting does not stand out much at all, 61 to 63 went to 1AD and also had proper paint work done , all the later machines were painted in the field much rougher.

In the other thread on the A-20G's the picture of DU-C (side view) and DU-P (end on view) show the strike camera , the end on the nacelle is truncated off , the picture of DU-M shows the R/H nacelle with the truncated tip cover removed. 

These were New aircraft in Aug 44 when most were destroyed in late Nov 44 most only had just over 100 hrs on them, so the paint work was pretty good. 

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob & Syd,

Syd I thought that I could see some remnants of US markings on the photos and a rough outline around the roundels,...no worries,...nothing that cannot be fixed,....even though I`ve put the decals on now! As for the strike camera,....I`d noticed that I did it wrong first thing this morning,....oh well,...that is what happens when you moel late at night!

Anyway,....here it is with the decals on,....no doubt I`ve buggerred ths up too;

DSCF0461_zpswpruipbo.jpg

DSCF0460_zpsdvdacwew.jpg

The white centre of the upper wing roundels are probably too big,....but it is all I had! I`ve gone for the sun bleached look,...which I`ve often seen on the upper wing roundels of RAAF aircraft,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

You can see on the first batch the 48" roundel is just too big for the A-20 fuselage and why they eventually went to the 32", you don't miss it as a RAAF aircraft with markings that big. ;-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

wow, you got onto that one quickly Tony, looking nice and I like the chipping

Bruce

Cheers Bruce,.....no flies on me mate!!

17 hours ago, Sydhuey said:

You can see on the first batch the 48" roundel is just too big for the A-20 fuselage and why they eventually went to the 32", you don't miss it as a RAAF aircraft with markings that big. ;-)

You sure can mate,.....deffo RAAF! 

Right time for another update, I`ve matt varnished the model and started some weathering beginning with a a watercolour wash;

DSCF0463_zpsnv4yk06x.jpg

DSCF0462_zps580iekum.jpg

DSCF0464_zpsi2gkythj.jpg

And now its time for the fiddly undercarriage,...this should be fitted before the nacelle is in place but it can be squeezed in with some fettling;

DSCF0465_zpsjdhoz4yw.jpg

DSCF0467_zpsrisnp1p0.jpg 

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 5

I missed the start of this one Tony.

It's coming along very nicely. 

The Revell kit seems to be quite a nice model.

There's another one gone onto my wanted list, you're a bad man Mr O'Toole :D

• Like 2

How you build so quickly, but still maintain a superior construction style is beyond me. Nothing looks thrown together and everything looks like you spent weeks working on it.  Just magnificent. 

And you have influenced me to break out my Eduard Hellcat Mk.I/II dual combo as my next kit one (FAA) assigned to HMS Emperor and the other HMS Tricomatee.   That's assuming I get off my rear and ever complete the Avenger!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cngaero said:

I missed the start of this one Tony.

It's coming along very nicely. 

The Revell kit seems to be quite a nice model.

There's another one gone onto my wanted list, you're a bad man Mr O'Toole :D

Ooops,.....sorry,....again! Apart from causing a dent in your wallet,.....its nice to have you onboard.

3 hours ago, georgeusa said:

How you build so quickly, but still maintain a superior construction style is beyond me. Nothing looks thrown together and everything looks like you spent weeks working on it.  Just magnificent. 

And you have influenced me to break out my Eduard Hellcat Mk.I/II dual combo as my next kit one (FAA) assigned to HMS Emperor and the other HMS Tricomatee.   That's assuming I get off my rear and ever complete the Avenger!

I have a small army of elves working on my production line! I look forward to seeing your Hellcats as well as the Avenger,

Cheers fellas,

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,..... well I`ve managed to finish it off and here it is;

DSCF0469_zpsz6xdkke4.jpg

DSCF0479_zpsymh5a9nk.jpg

DSCF0480_zps29iygyuq.jpg

DSCF0472_zpsdalt6nix.jpg

Thanks for your support lads and a big thanks to Syd for his additional info and his thread which inspired me. I have added sections of sprue underneath the cheek gun compartments to replicate the air vents added by the Aussies before they discontinued using these weapons,

Cheers

Tony

PS-....Yes it did end up being a tailsitter,......I didn`t think that the undercarriage was strong enough to handle the weight required.

PPS- Cheers Colin,.....sorry I was typing this post when yours turned up.

PPPS- Here is a pic showing the model alongside the Matchbox A-20 nose,.....and to be honest it isn`t much different!; 

DSCF0477_zpsvpmtlueg.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4