strange pic me 109F

Davide Calzolari

looks like an early G, heavy canopy frames, no quaterlight on canopy, little scoops at front of cowling.

Interesting markings, the 'mirror wave' is unusual.

Any info on where it came from, or is it another ebay.de auction? ( I note the paper over the swastika)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Any info on where it came from, or is it another ebay.de auction? ( I note the paper over the swastika)

troy ive found it on "google images "  googling for "unusual camo me-109 " :)so ive not made too much attention to the urls

Hmmm, where is the engine intake? It almost looks faired over, but it could be a trick of the lighting I suppose. Also, is that a hole in the aft fuselage, or some sort of marking? I know, lots of questions but you guys took all the other things I noticed.:shrug: Could this be a night fighter scheme? The Balkankreuz is also white.

58 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

Hmmm, where is the engine intake? It almost looks faired over, but it could be a trick of the lighting I suppose. Also, is that a hole in the aft fuselage, or some sort of marking? I know, lots of questions but you guys took all the other things I noticed.:shrug:Could this be a night fighter scheme? The Balkankreuz is also white.

Night fighter. No, as posted above, it's  a  plane from 8/JG 5,  if you look  at the  Falkeeins link

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 "Black 14" of 8./JG 5. Here the disc aft of the fuselage Balkenkreuz was an indication that this machine is on the strength of III. Gruppe of JG 5, whereas its use would ordinarily indicate a IV. Gruppe machine. The usual marking for a III. Gruppe aircraft would have been a wavy or vertical bar.

Note  it  was an ebay.de  auction, and there may well  have been info  from there of the photo provenance as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdgeschwader_5

Jagdgeschwader 5 (JG 5) was a Luftwaffe fighter wing during World War II. It was created to operate in the far North of Europe, namely Norway, Scandinavia and northern parts of Finland, all nearest the Arctic Ocean, with Luftflotte 5, created specifically to be based in Occupied Norway, and responsible for much of northern Norway.

scheme looks very much like the type used on other sea strike  planes, eg the Ju188 in Norway, and it's over the sea ....

be9451e52a811f4026bb05f8496ca25f.jpg

The  intake  is there, just not very visible, that camo works ;)

cheers

T

• Like 1

Where did 8 /JG5 serve? What type of ground is the pilot flying over? Is it snow (Telemark or Hardanger in Norway?), dessert (well maybe not dessert) or maybe sea? That would answer the camouflage. As they served in Norway and Finland and in winter it could be white streaks..

/André

Edited by Andre B