MPM Blenheim IV

I'm glad to see that the nose transparencies fitted so well, as this has been something dissuading me from taking this kit any further.  (I was aware of the need to widen the front of the fuselage.)  Unless it was just your skill, which puts me back where I began...

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

nose transparencies fitted so well

Thanks Graham! The extended transparent fuselage halves did fit quite well, given that I had added the wedge to the front fuselage. However... the pilot's windscreen was a tad smaller than it needed to be, and the "arch" consisting of the two side windows and the overhead hatch was too wide. I fitted and filled the windscreen, but for the arch I cut the side windows off from the hatch and fitted them separately. Rather a fumble-fingers moment, I'm afraid, and I think that's what made me park it back in June.

My Humbrol acrylic interior green is an old pot that has spent a lot of time open, and it's got a bit jelly-like over the years - it now makes a great filler, and trims and sands down smoothly! So I used that to fill in the gaps between the pieces when I was painting the frames, so it's all reasonably smooth now.

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I didn't think there's been much to see, but I'm finished!

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

I still need to add some aerial wire and I've just remembered I need to add the fuel dump nozzles under the wings, but I'm done. Paint is acrylic Humbrol 79 and Revell 67 "Greenish Grey" over Humbrol 90. I decided to weather quite mildly with just a light wash. For the decals I used the insignia are from the kit and Xtradecal sheets for codes and serials.

I will do some more shots for RFI with the "family" - I've now built one of each of the 1/72 Blenheims - old and new Airfix, Frog/Revell and this one. I think this is a close second to the new Airfix for accuracy and detail, but I think the Frog kit is the most fun to build. The old Airfix is strictly for masochists!

Thanks for looking, 

Adrian

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Procopius said:

what you went through to get to this point

Thanks Edward. Seeing your Blenheim-fest gave me the inspiration to pick it up again. Mangling the upper cockpit glazing made me take a break last summer, but time heals all things and I feel quite fond of it now.

39 minutes ago, woody37 said:

love the scheme

Thanks Neil. I like the scheme too and I think I've finally found a paint combo that works for it. I would love to do a Beaufort in TSS too - I keep toying with the idea of starting my Frog Beaufort but each time it happens I compare it to the plans and lie down until the idea goes away! Still, I guess it would make Airfix release a new one...

Regards,

Adrian 

• Like 2