Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

8 hours ago, bootneck said:

"...... had aircraft/choppers operating off it and actually entered service and the aircraft/choppers had to have been operational on said carriers "

Does this mean no X-47B? I initially registered interest for this before t'vote thinking about Japanese or FAA aircraft but I would like to do the X-47B. It did do a lot of take offs and landings from USS George H.W.Bush and USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Alan

• Like 1

Ah. It gets worse.... I hadnt remembered or spotted the Sea Vixen in the stash.... can someone pop over and give me a helpful slap, please?

13 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Does this mean no X-47B? I initially registered interest for this before t'vote thinking about Japanese or FAA aircraft but I would like to do the X-47B. It did do a lot of take offs and landings from USS George H.W.Bush and USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Alan

unfortunately it has to have reached operational status or operation deployment status on the carrier, it really doesn't qualify unfortunately.

13 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Ah. It gets worse.... I hadnt remembered or spotted the Sea Vixen in the stash.... can someone pop over and give me a helpful slap, please?

:chair: .... now a Sea Vixen will be very welcome! :thumbsup: I suspect we may see a few of these hopefully

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

unfortunately it has to have reached operational status or operation deployment status on the carrier, it really doesn't qualify unfortunately.

:chair: .... now a Sea Vixen will be very welcome! :thumbsup: I suspect we may see a few of these hopefully

Ah well. I get you. Many other possible things.

Alan

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Praise be!

Saves me from tackling that "lovely" 1/48 Buccaneer..............

4 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Rich,

Sorry to keep bothering you.

What about a Sea Vampire F.20?

Alan

again as long as it reach operational status it's ok, RN aircraft are not my thing so you'll have to do some research to see if it's eligible or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2018 at 17:01, Angus Tura said:

Rich,

Sorry to keep bothering you.

What about a Sea Vampire F.20?

Alan

Sea Vampire F-20 was front line in the late forties/early fifties.

• Like 1

The Sea Vampire was hardly a true operational type, most served with second line units while detachments flew from carriers to provide experience to pilots and crews. To the best of my knowledge they were never assigned to a carrier for operation

Alan, my note was mainly on the history of the type, I have no personal problem with the eligibility or not of the type, sorry if my comment sounded negative.

Adding some more information, of the units equipped with the F.20, all were training or trials unit except for 806 NAS. This Squadron was reformed in May 1948 with a mix of types to perform a demonstration tour of Canada and the US in 1948. Among the aircrafts used was Sea Vampire F.20 VF315.

The Squadron reached Canada aboard HMCS Magnificent on her transfer voyage from the UK to the Royal Canadian Navy. The tour was not without problems but was considered a success with the aircrafts performing aerobatics at several venues. All flights were from land airports, the aircrafts never flew from the carrier. At the end of the tour in September 1948, 806 NAS was disbanded.

The other FAA units flying the F.20 were 700, 702, 703, 728, 759, 764, 771 and 787. Considering that only 18 F.20s were built, some of the units mentioned only had one or two Sea Vampires together with other types

The fate of the Sea Vampire was not uncommon in the early days of jet carrier aicrafts, a few types saw way more service in trials than in proper operations. At the same time the work done with these types was extremely valuable and laid the foundation of later carrier operations. The Sea Vampire F.20 may have mainly been used for trials but without these the FAA would have never been able to develop all the techniques that allowed the safe use of the later types

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in, with a 1:35 Willys MB / Ford GPW Jeep flight deck tractor. Probably going to try and also fit in something with wings, first choice there being a TBM-3W night fighter Avenger in 1:72.

the deck tractor sounds interesting, would nice to see something like this in the GB. I think we may see a few Avengers in the GB as well.

• Thanks 1

Can I play too please? I've got an Eduard Ship's Camel that I will probably mess up and a couple of other bits if I do - a couple of Fulmars for sure, a Wildcat... should be enough!

• Like 1

I would like to scratchbuild another 1:350 postwar British aircraft carrier and this GB should be the kickstarter I need to actually do something about it.  My last attempt was HMS Hermes as a Commando Carrier in 1982 but that took me two years to build; even then I still hadn't completed the finer details.  This time,  I would like to do a fixed-wing carrier and hope that the experience I learned from the previous build will help me reduce the build time for this.  I believe I have until March to do the research and work out dimensions and measurements for 1:350 scale; so, I'd better get started on that.

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

I would like to scratchbuild another 1:350 postwar British aircraft carrier and this GB should be the kickstarter I need to actually do something about it.  My last attempt was HMS Hermes as a Commando Carrier in 1982 but that took me two years to build; even then I still hadn't completed the finer details.  This time,  I would like to do a fixed-wing carrier and hope that the experience I learned from the previous build will help me reduce the build time for this.  I believe I have until March to do the research and work out dimensions and measurements for 1:350 scale; so, I'd better get started on that.

Mike

nice!! It sounds like a big project, look forward to seeing how you go. Is nice to see some scratchbuilding in these GB's.

I found the last attempt to be quite complex, mainly as it was a first attempt at scratchbulding a large model.

This is how far I had managed with that one.  The side lift has been placed inverted on the flightdeck to show the gantry work underneath.

p1120321_redone.jpg

Hopefully, this next build will be easier; although just as complex, probably.

Mike

• Like 8

This is blue...I am leaning toward this.

f8f.jpg

Greg in OK

Wow!  That came out much bigger that I thought.  I thought it was just going to be a thumbnail.  Still getting the hang of posting photos, I am afraid.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Like to join this GB with an Argentine Naval F4U-5N Corsair? 

no worries, welcome aboard.....as they say.

I actually hadn't realised that the Argentine navy had carriers? Those Corsairs do look colourful, will be nice to see one.

On 09/02/2018 at 9:57 PM, trickyrich said:

no worries, welcome aboard.....as they say.

I actually hadn't realised that the Argentine navy had carriers? Those Corsairs do look colourful, will be nice to see one.

Not sure how many carriers the Argentine Navy had, but here is a Corsair on one! 8be5f867cdffb1f7519d0c1da09ea27c.jpg

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 2