Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:hmmm:   Floaty things are definitely out of my comfort zone.  Maybe I should give one a go.  I'm looking at the Academy 1/700 USS Enterprise.

I have this in my stash and it looks to be a really good kit. Not sure if I'll build her in this group build though.

11 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Spitfires were used on Aircraft Carriers. If this is the case, count me in.

Add an A frame hook and some fuselage strengtheners to a Spitfire MKV and your there a Seafire MkII..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking Sea Harrier since that's my all-time favourite aircraft and one that doesn't feature in my display cabinet regardless of the fact there's at least 9 in my stash.

• Like 1

Okay, I think I've worked out my project for this GB.

I was orginally intending to build four Furies: FJ-1, FJ-2, FJ-3 and FJ-4.  I think I'll see if I can fit that in elsewhere or maybe have a year-long independant project.

A few posts above, I said I was looking into a model of the USS Enterprise CV-6.   That's now confirmed. I will be building it in 1/700 scale.  To make it a complete project for the GB, I'll also be building an F4F, TBD and SBD in 1/72, all in the markings of aircraft flown from Enterprise during the Battle of Midway.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Okay, I think I've worked out my project for this GB.

I was orginally intending to build four Furies: FJ-1, FJ-2, FJ-3 and FJ-4.  I think I'll see if I can fit that in elsewhere or maybe have a year-long independant project.

A few posts above, I said I was looking into a model of the USS Enterprise CV-6.   That's now confirmed. I will be building it in 1/700 scale.  To make it a complete project for the GB, I'll also be building an F4F, TBD and SBD in 1/72, all in the markings of aircraft flown from Enterprise during the Battle of Midway.

Nice!! You know you can continue with that theme for the Pacific at War GB, the Midway battle is in the subgroup. You'll e able to do the complete air wing for the carrier! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Nice!! You know you can continue with that theme for the Pacific at War GB, the Midway battle is in the subgroup. You'll e able to do the complete air wing for the carrier! 

Good point!  If I find I've bitten off more than I can chew, then I'll do the boat in this GB and the planes in the Pacific GB.

• Like 1

Looking at the stash I have the following:

Eduard Vietnam Scooter

Special Hobby Firefly Mk. 4/5 Korean War

Eduard Danger Zone F-14A (This will probably be saved for the Grumman GB)

Kinetic F/A-18C

Choices, choices.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 4:38 PM, trickyrich said:

On 12/3/2017 at 11:32 AM, Jb65rams said:

Thought I had registered my interest in this one, but seem on reading back the thread I hadn't.

So here goes, I'm in with Trumpeter's 1/700 CV-3 USS Saratoga.

no problem at all, welcome aboard. I won't update the list as there really isn't any need.

great to see an aircraft being built, hopefully we'll have lots built for this GB.

What would really be cool is if some members got together and someone build the carrier and the others the aircraft that actually served on it! 

Or embarked aircraft that bombed them?

Rich,

This is fantastic idea for a GB (up there with the Flying Boat and Seaplane GB!), and I think I need to commit to it. Something in 1/72 (not an aircraft carrier :D), and probably WWII. Maybe a Zero from Pearl Harbour attack, or USN, maybe commemorating Battle of Midway or the Battle of the Coral Sea. 

On 11/18/2017 at 7:22 PM, bootneck said:

Good news Ray,  we ship modellers need to defend our corner on this GB!

Mike

Mike,

I think that even if people will tend to build aircraft, there may be a few dioramas done of decks etc. (at least I am contemplating that).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My Academy Enterprise kit arrived about 20 minutes ago.   What an excellent kit.  Can't wait to get started!

ok now put it away on the top shelf and step away from it!!!!:fight:  No playing till play time!  :D

• Haha 2

I've got my kit selection ready.   The Academy 1/700 USS Enterprise, Airfix F4F-4 Wildcat, AZ Model TBD-1 Devastator and Airfix SBD Dauntless.   I've looked for a Hasegawa Dauntless but they're like hens' teeth.  So I've gone for the venerable Airfix kit which will be pimped to within an inch of its life with resin.

I'd like to join this one please? I started a 'Jolly Rogers' phantom last year which ended up in the bin following a nightmare with the decals. I'll look to build the same model albeit in a different scale. Cheers  

I'm tentatively in for this GB but as it would mean 5 overlapping GBs (BM 10th, 737, RAF 100th, Hawker) it might be a group build too far!

A question on eligibility of aircraft: Do the aircraft need to have been based on a carrier or operated from a carrier? Might sound like splitting hairs but I'm thinking about a Spanish or Thai Navy TAV-8S, an Indian Navy Harrier T.60, or a USN TA-4J or Buckeye - all operated from carriers, but I wouldn't say they were carrier-based. There's also the VAAC Harrier, which did fly some trials from Illustrious.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2017 at 12:02 AM, zebra said:

I'm tentatively in for this GB but as it would mean 5 overlapping GBs (BM 10th, 737, RAF 100th, Hawker) it might be a group build too far!

Come on Zebra

Buy a bigger work bench, go on you know you want to :wicked:

Worst that happens is all 5 builds end up in the 6th GB, i.e. The KUTA 2018 so what are you waiting for....... :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

On 25/12/2017 at 11:02 AM, zebra said:

A question on eligibility of aircraft: Do the aircraft need to have been based on a carrier or operated from a carrier? Might sound like splitting hairs but I'm thinking about a Spanish or Thai Navy TAV-8S, an Indian Navy Harrier T.60, or a USN TA-4J or Buckeye - all operated from carriers, but I wouldn't say they were carrier-based. There's also the VAAC Harrier, which did fly some trials from Illustrious.

probably the easiest way to look at it is they must have had "operational" status on the carrier, a deployment on a carrier would suffice. So all those listed in effect would be ok, the VACC Harrier, hmm........ you could always build it in the Hawker GB?

• Like 1

@JOCKNEY bigger work bench might be the way to go! Due to work and personal travel plans in June and July (I'm going to be reeeaaaallly jet lagged by the end of it) I've effectively got until the end of May to gt my entries for these 5 group builds done, but I'm going to give it a go.

@trickyrich thanks for the clarification, I thought the VAAC Harrier might be stretching things a bit! But it doesn't narrow the choice for this GB down very much - off the top of my head I think the options are Super Etendard, TA-4J, Buckeye, F7F (but might save that for the Grumman GB), 2-seat Harrier (probably Indian), or Seafire (17 or 47). Since I'm thinking of one or two Spitfires for the RAF 100th GB a Seafire/Spitfire multi-GB multi-build might be a good idea.

• Like 2

Would a Jaguar M be eligible for this? Sure, it didnt enter service, but it did leave and return from/to a carrier deck during the trials.

27683179409_e2910c1a7f_b.jpg[/url]

Apols for being a pain, just found the GB calendar and been eyeballing the stash. :)

9 hours ago, RMP2 said:

.... Sure, it didnt enter service, but it did leave and return from/to a carrier deck during the trials.

"...... had aircraft/choppers operating off it and actually entered service and the aircraft/choppers had to have been operational on said carriers "

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

"...... had aircraft/choppers operating off it and actually entered service and the aircraft/choppers had to have been operational on said carriers "

Doh!

Late night posting balls up!

Cheers for clearing that up for me though.

• Haha 1