Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

While bobbing around in the Philippines sea an idea for a GB came to mind.........and it has nothing to do with the F-14D & Bombcat set I just acquired!! :D

An Aircraft Carrier GB!

Not just for the carriers themselves but the aircraft that flew off them!

(just added)  - Plus the deck support vehicles and if anyone wants a diorama with deck crew is more then welcome as well!!

So it'll be a bit of a two part GB, one for those who want to build the carriers themselves, and for the others the aircraft that flew off them. A GB that is likely to suit everyones taste in things that fly or sometimes attempt to. Plus a chance for the Navy boys & girls to join in as well with the big beasts of the seas!

Stipulations: The carrier must have a full length deck, had aircraft/choppers operating off it and actually entered service and the aircraft/choppers had to have been operational on said carriers. Other than that it should be fairly straight forward?

One addition courtesy of Trevor, any wheelie things used on the decks will be ok as well......add some figures and you'd have a really cool diorama!! 

1, trickyrich - HOST

2, Arniec

3, Tony Oliver

4, bootneck

5, Max Headroom

6, Grey Beema

7, theplasticsurgeon

8, snapper_city

9, TrojanThunder

10, TEMPESTMK5

11, alex

12, Hardtarget

13, bianfuxia

14, Beefy66

15, Mikemx

16, modelling minion 

17, franky boy

18, Valkyrie

19, SAU

20, Mozzy19

21, TonyTiger66  - Co-host

22, Angus Tura

23, Jockney

24, Ray S

25, nimrod54

26, Shar2

27, Jabba

28, AndrewE

29, Avereda

30, Bonhoff

31, Radleigh

32, 825

• Like 3

Now thats a nice broad scope for entries! 👍🏿

Great idea :) 

may be tempted to break the seal on a finemolds 1/72 tomcat for this, not that I am doing enough hobbyboss ones at the moment...

Edited by Tony Oliver
Finemolds comment
  • Like 1

That is a very good suggestion and one that I would like to join if it happens.  I have quite a few kits of carriers in 1:350 scale which need to be built, plus some scratchbuild ideas.

Mike

• Like 1

Go on then.

A suggestion if I may - in addition to the aircraft what about the vehicles that buzz around on deck, tractors, trolleys with bombs and missiles etc. That way those who deal with vehicles can also join the fun?

Trevor

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Go on then.

A suggestion if I may - in addition to the aircraft what about the vehicles that buzz around on deck, tractors, trolleys with bombs and missiles etc. That way those who deal with vehicles can also join the fun?

Trevor

That's a great idea! I'm happy with that one.

If it ran around on the deck it's ok as well. Though no Top Gear XJS's!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arniec said:

Oh No!!!!! Rich has got a great idea again!!!!

I must resist, I MUST RESIST!!!!!

OK I am in. :doh:

Cheers,

Never!! You know resistance is futile!! :D  You know you have to start planning for 2018!

Just to make you feel better I'll put you on the top of the list!

• Like 1

Academy F-4J in stash.

Two Intruders, 2 Super Hornets, Vigilante, Tracker, Hawkeye, and others.

Swordfish, Avenger, Dauntless, Sea Fury, Skua, Sea Vixens, and Gannet.

AND the Italeri deck section kit.

Yep, I could do this one.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

Hi Rich, just to throw a curve ball in there, what about aircraft carrying submarines? like the I-19, I-400, RN M2, french Surcouf etc.

if these can be included im in.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

And to stretch Chris' idea a little further, what about the submarine- towed gyrocopters that the Germans used in WW2? Or the Sopwith Pups flown from platforms on battleship turrets (HMS's Barham and Tiger, and probably others) or indeed spotting aircraft on battleship catapaults generally (which then opens the way for hericlopters on frigates, I know...)? There's also aircraft flown from towed lighters in the early experimental days, as well. None of them were technically 'aircraft carriers', but they carried and operated aircraft... (There's also civvy ships with helos on them, but I won't mention those...)

I know, 'there's always one, isn't there'. It had to be someone, so let it be me. I'm no longer doing GBs, so I'm not going to grump whatever the outcome; just chucking ideas around and generally being a pain in the fundament. :)

• Like 3

welcome aboard everyone.

8 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Hi Rich, just to throw a curve ball in there, what about aircraft carrying submarines? like the I-19, I-400, RN M2, french Surcouf etc.

if these can be included im in.

All the best Chris

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

And to stretch Chris' idea a little further, what about the submarine- towed gyrocopters that the Germans used in WW2? Or the Sopwith Pups flown from platforms on battleship turrets (HMS's Barham and Tiger, and probably others) or indeed spotting aircraft on battleship catapaults generally (which then opens the way for hericlopters on frigates, I know...)? There's also aircraft flown from towed lighters in the early experimental days, as well. None of them were technically 'aircraft carriers', but they carried and operated aircraft... (There's also civvy ships with helos on them, but I won't mention those...)

I know, 'there's always one, isn't there'. It had to be someone, so let it be me. I'm no longer doing GBs, so I'm not going to grump whatever the outcome; just chucking ideas around and generally being a pain in the fundament. :)

Nether of these questions are "there had to be someone" questions at all.

I had thought about these ideas as well when I was planning this GB, but they are really outside the scope of what is a true Aircraft carrier which was my original intent when thinking of this. Keeping it limited to "flattops" keeps it all nice and simple, I have though included Assault Carriers, which I feel also fits in nicely with the spirit of the GB. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rob G said:

If you want to build a float plane (for example a Ar-196 or walrus), then there is a GB for it in a couple of months.

take a look here.

I hope it helps a bit .

Cheers,

Just to be really annoying - there was a Walrus flying from HMS Victorious as part of the BPF...  It eventually broke, couldn't be recovered and was used for target practice by Destroyers in the Fleet...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Just to be really annoying - there was a Walrus flying from HMS Victorious as part of the BPF...  It eventually broke, couldn't be recovered and was used for target practice by Destroyers in the Fleet...

I found this as well, the two Walrus's on HMS Victorious were nicknamed Darby & Joan, they were flown by RAAF pilots and originally they were with 9 Sqn RAAF before it was disbanded.

HMS Victorious Walrus's

I actually don't have a problem if someone wants to build one of them, they area officially listed as part of the HMS Victorious flying wing. There are quite a few photos of them on her at this time plus the colour schemes, they would be something completely different for the GB!! 

• Like 3

So Rich would your definition of a flat top include LHD and LHAs? USN Wasp and Tarawa class along with the Aussie Canberra Class come to mind here.

Regardless of your decision, I am in as I have the Nimitz (CVN-68), Intrepid (CV-11) and Illustrious (R05) to build one day, as well as Essex (LHD-2) and New York LPD-21)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrojanThunder said:

So Rich would your definition of a flat top include LHD and LHAs? USN Wasp and Tarawa class along with the Aussie Canberra Class come to mind here.

Regardless of your decision, I am in as I have the Nimitz (CVN-68), Intrepid (CV-11) and Illustrious (R05) to build one day, as well as Essex (LHD-2) and New York LPD-21)

Hi Ray, yeap those are fine, Harriers, Ospreys, Cobras!!!  Though I would be doubtful you could call our Canberra Class vessels operational as they seem to be spending more time in harbour for repairs then out to sea! :whistle:  Why does that sound familiar?? 

So welcome aboard.

And we've just crossed the equator as well....it's all down hill now! :pirate:

• Like 1

Good morning Rich

Count me in I have some French Aeronavale subjects in my stash (Etendard/ Super Etendard and Rafale ) as well as Russian Navy SU 33 , UsNavy Panther Skyraider Phantoms Hornet Tomcats ...

Patrice  

• Like 1

Hi Rich

Thank you ;) but I think that it will be hard to choose between them anyway if the Grumman Gb pass the vote and if I build the Hobby boss Panther I will have less choice ..

Patrice

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Ray, yeap those are fine, Harriers, Ospreys, Cobras!!!  Though I would be doubtful you could call our Canberra Class vessels operational as they seem to be spending more time in harbour for repairs then out to sea! :whistle:  Why does that sound familiar?? 

So welcome aboard.

And we've just crossed the equator as well....it's all down hill now! :pirate:

So H.M.S. Ocean (L-12) can go as well, with it's Helicopters?!

Cheers,