Carriers Ahoy! Things that fly on things that float! chat

trickyrich

Is it possible to build one aircraft in 2 simultaneous GB's ?

I was wondering if one of Doolittle's B25s could be built in this GB and the B25 STGB....... just a thought :whistle:

cheers Pat

2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was wondering if one of Doolittle's B25s could be built in this GB and the B25 STGB....... just a thought :whistle:

cheers Pat

I've wondered about that too. I've been thinking about a Sea Fury which would fit this GB and the Hawker GB. I'm also contemplating a double build crossing over between this GB and the RAF centenary GB (two Airfix Phantom FG.1s, one RAF and one FAA. Might just do it, if I can move the SEM and my first RAF centenary build along quick enough) but wondering about how to do it - if I do it as a build thread in each GB I'll effectively be posting duplicate posts in two GBs, which would be daft, so I'm wondering whether to post it in one GB and cross-refer from the other? Or alternate my posts between the two?

15 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

I don't think so.

I seem to remember somewhere in the origins of BM that each GB build is exclusive to one GB only.

There used to be more prizes and awards, so it was probably to avoid multiple awards for the same build - more fair shareout.

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I don't think so.

I seem to remember somewhere in the origins of BM that each GB build is exclusive to one GB only.

There used to be more prizes and awards, so it was probably to avoid multiple awards for the same build - more fair shareout.

Thanks TPS

As for prises I think everyone can relax as far as my modelling skills are concerned ! :weep:

Cheers Pat

I don't see the point.  A GB is really a bit of fun where we all try to build on a theme. As far as I'm aware it's not a competition, so why not just put a different subject into each GB and enjoy the modelling..  

4 hours ago, zebra said:

I've wondered about that too. I've been thinking about a Sea Fury which would fit this GB and the Hawker GB. I'm also contemplating a double build crossing over between this GB and the RAF centenary GB (two Airfix Phantom FG.1s, one RAF and one FAA. Might just do it, if I can move the SEM and my first RAF centenary build along quick enough) but wondering about how to do it - if I do it as a build thread in each GB I'll effectively be posting duplicate posts in two GBs, which would be daft, so I'm wondering whether to post it in one GB and cross-refer from the other? Or alternate my posts between the two?

hmmm I'm actually not sure on that one, you'll have to ask Enzo.

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

hmm well no. While the B-25 flew off a carrier once (two did test fly off one earlier to test the feasibility), they were never technically operated off them, beside that they never landed on a carrier.

Well the GB has been now running for just over a week and I'm amazed at the number of builds in it already! So for I count 50 threads and some have double builds in them, with 7 carriers which is nice to see, I do hope there will be more, and one lonely GSV, hopefully there will be more there as well.

Plus there are some fantastic builds under way as well so well done everyone, keep it up and lets see if we can fill the gallery. It'll make the poll harder for me so feel free to make it as hard as possible for me! :D

What is also nice to see as well is members planning for additional entries into this GB!

Well I'm back from Malaysia, so one my brother has finished visiting I may be able to do some work on my build as well as the Sea Fury. On a bit of a tragic note  (for me anyway) my main data HDD just died! I''e sort of lost all my digital copies of aviation reference books (+400 or so) plus all my model and GB stuff! Was a bit deflated when I found out wha happened, I have some older backups, but....... On Tuesday I'll take it to a recovery place and see what they say...not too hopeful!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

hmm the books should be ok, I think I have most of the copies on my laptop. It's the photos I'm most worried about, I don't have copies for most of them (I do with my wedding photos...heaven forbid I lose them!!!), plus all my model stuff. I think the electronics have died in the HDD, I know it's not corrupt and it's not a technical failure, so I might be lucky! I know I have to build a NAS setup now, been putting it off for ages!

Unfortunately no proper backups as I don't have enough drives, have ~6TB of data of all sorts. It's only the second HDD of mine that ever crashed (the first one got short circuited) out of about 40 I've had!

Hi Rich

Really sorry to hear your news but fingers crossed it can all be recovered.

Hopefully you won't have the bizarre experience my wife had with her iPad where, even though everything was backed up to the iCloud apple deleted all the photos etc on the iPad then said they couldn't / wouldn't send the stuff back due to data protection !

Lots of kids photos and videos from holidays etc, hence Apple is a dirty word in our house.

Fantastic variety of builds in this GB, and still so many that could be included and are still to make an appearance so we need to encourage further participation either :kissing2: or :fight:

cheers Pat

On 25/03/2018 at 3:25 PM, trickyrich said:

you said it, this will be THE epic GB of the year! So rather than missing it I would expect both of you to join in the fun! No pressure! :D :fight:

Ok, back to the bench, or the deck for this one and here are my options...

IMG_6760

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Rich

Really sorry to hear your news but fingers crossed it can all be recovered.

Hopefully you won't have the bizarre experience my wife had with her iPad where, even though everything was backed up to the iCloud apple deleted all the photos etc on the iPad then said they couldn't / wouldn't send the stuff back due to data protection !

Lots of kids photos and videos from holidays etc, hence Apple is a dirty word in our house.

Fantastic variety of builds in this GB, and still so many that could be included and are still to make an appearance so we need to encourage further participation either :kissing2: or :fight:

cheers Pat

I would press apple harder. You own that media. Hate apple too, similar thing on my iPad photos of highly important memories, their update crashed my iPad and scrubbed the lot. Also said they couldn't fix the iPad but they could sell me new one... guy down the street fixed it in 30 minutes. Utter sharks sometimes..

57 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Ok, back to the bench, or the deck for this one and here are my options...

IMG_6760

What a selection, so I guess you'll be building them all then?? (he says in his best Enzo voice......which is the sound of angels........after a long hard night on Mother's Best Bitter!!!) :rofl2:

• Haha 1

Question for Rich!

I've started sticking bits together on my Aoshima 1/700 HMS Ark Royal and I was hoping to use this GB as an excuse to get it done. The main construction is all done (not that there's that many parts) but I've not started fitting any etch (I have a matching etch set + 3D Printed weapons set) plus the aircraft to place on deck. In terms of time, there's far less than 25% of the total build time expended so far, in fact it's probably taken not much more than an hour so far (maybe 2 at most) - so can I include it in the GB?

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Mike, that sounds ok to me, I know with most of the ship models there's only a few bits to glue together and the hulls done. But the really work is all the remaining small bits, plus if you're adding PE and extras as well.

So for me just go for it! It's nice to see another carrier in the build.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Mike, that sounds ok to me, I know with most of the ship models there's only a few bits to glue together and the hulls done. But the really work is all the remaining small bits, plus if you're adding PE and extras as well.

So for me just go for it! It's nice to see another carrier in the build.

No worries! Some carrier models certainly don't have many parts to make up the hull and have relatively small superstructures. I suspect most of the build time will be taken up by fitting etch parts! I'll get pics done when I've got some spare time and light!

thanks

Mike 

• Like 1

Gosh we're only into the second week of builds and the number of builds is amazing! I'm struggling to keep up with them all.

Great work everyone, there are some fantastic builds underway and some amazing work as well, so give yourselves a big pat on the back for what you've done so far.

I really do hope between now and the end we fill the gallery to bursting point. I'm trying to stop by and look and comment each of the builds but it actually takes ages to do, but I enjoy following all the progress. So don't worry if there isn't a comment, be assured I'm following them all. 

Thanks to everyone that has joined in so far, there's masses of time if you haven't, so start a thread and join the fun.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hmmm no...... my banner builder (SWMBO) has been rather busy unfortunately, and if I disturb her she may come down to see what I'm up too and then see the size of the stash!!    :fight:    :chair:

If anyone wants to make one, please feel free.

• Haha 2

Have a Sword Seafire XVII I have in an old box I may enter although its partly started, I believe it's under 25% rule, 1/72 isn't really my scale for prop stuff but it's given me an idea to perhaps model it in flight with a spinning prop,  maybe even coming in for a carrier landing, depending on how easy it would be to drop the flaps and extend the tail hook etc.  Will post pics to confirm its under 25% later on.

6 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Have a Sword Seafire XVII I have in an old box I may enter although its partly started, I believe it's under 25% rule, 1/72 isn't really my scale for prop stuff but it's given me an idea to perhaps model it in flight with a spinning prop,  maybe even coming in for a carrier landing, depending on how easy it would be to drop the flaps and extend the tail hook etc.  Will post pics to confirm its under 25% later on.

yeah no problems, just pop up a photo of what's been done, I'm pretty generous with the 25% rule as I like to see as many members as possible joining in in these GB's.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...