RS Models 1/72 XP-79B Flying Ram

I haven't started a WIP in a while, I haven't finished a kit in a while.  This is what I might need to get over the duldrums, mmmmmm.  My son's leg has become a problem again.  The hospital staff lost his ct scan that he had done on Tuesday, on Friday they told him to come back in 6 months.  Two trips to Brisbane in a week for nothing, it is a 3 hour drive each way.

A simple kit with a simple paint job, what could go wrong.  NOTHING, 34 parts nothing to go wrong. First issue I thought this plane had a NMF, then white finish but I am thinking it was painted a light grey.

Anyhow post this, finish my coffee, chop plastic and read the instructions sometime.

_DSC2662-1.jpg

_DSC2663-1.jpg

_DSC2664-1.jpg

_DSC2657-1.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Stephen

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Now that's just weird... I'm in! :popcorn: 

Unsurprisingly, this kit resides in the Martian stash. I have to be in on this one as well. :popcorn:

Martian

Nice one. I wish RS had made deeper intakes for this kit but I guess it is not too difficult to smash form some over a shaped wooden dowel. The paint was grey. Pearl Grey was a popular colour on high speed and one-off planes in the US back then. The P-80A and the P-80R were in this colour as well as some air racers of this time. IIRC this paint was from Ford - at least it was some automotive related colour. So not from the FS range or such.

René

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Unsurprisingly, this kit resides in the Martian stash. I have to be in on this one as well. :popcorn:

Martian

Why am I not surprised?   :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Weird inside and out:

Well, that makes it doubly attractive then! I don't usually do normal: you can tell can't you?

Martian

Thanks for the replys.

I have done a little research into pearl grey and found this.  Pearl grey is a Desoto and a Buick colour, both I think are too dark.  Desoto colour chips here:

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1945-Desoto-pg01.jpg

If anybody has a colour suggestion I would be grateful.

Thanks for the pictures Sabrejet very useful especially the cockpit one.

This is not a weird aircraft as it came from Northrop, the home of weird.

Stephen

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caseyjones said:

This is not a weird aircraft as it came from Northrop, the home of weird.

Ah, I see. A new definition of N4N? Normal for Northrop :D 

• Like 3

I admire the Northrop 'wing's, and hadn't realised that there was a kit of the XP-79, will follow your build with interest!

For an allied fighter aircraft design, the concept was perhaps weirder than the aircraft!

xp-79b_13.jpg

• Like 2

Some progress.

RS Models would have you glue the seat/cushion somewhere here. I am thinking our pilot would hve to have the longest arms ever to reach the control yoke.  It would not be seen when the fuselage halves are joined.

_DSC2670-1.jpg

My thoughts would be to place the seat/cushion here as I think the pilot would be a bit more comfortable.  The picture in the previous post shows the pilot very close to the windscreen.

_DSC2669-1.jpg

Upper fuselage left and right cockpit.

_DSC2671-1.jpg

_DSC2672-1.jpg

Top and bottom fuselage halves.  RS Models would have you paint the cockpit yellow zinc chromate and the control yoke aluminium but if you look at Sabrejet's cockpit picture the control yoke is the same colour as the cockpit which I have painted interior green

_DSC2668-1.jpg

_DSC2667-1.jpg

Next job is too temporarily attach the landing gear so I can add enough weight so she won't be a tail sitter.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 2

Nice progress Stephen :)

I think the seat might be in the right place on the instructions - according to this reference "...the pilot had to lie prone..." so I would stick the seat, er, somewhere comfortable :D 

(There are some good details and photos there too)

• Like 1

Thanks Caerbannog for the pictures.  I think I will mix my paint using your pictures as a reference.

I am going with my thoughts on the location of the seat/cushion, CedB.  Bloody uncomfortable way to fly a plane, I think????????

I have placed enough weight inside the fuselage/wing to make the plane sit on her wheels, I hope.  A hint for anybody looking for lead shot.  Go to the gun shop and tell the lovely lady what you are doing and she will gladly give you some lead shot. DON"T get it from evilbay as I did, re this link   http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172667127345?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    I bought 3 of these, growl.

Ready to close up the fuselage halves.

_DSC2673-1.jpg

Pretty isn't it.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1