KP 1:72 Mig-15 UTI

Humbrol 11 can be touchy It may have nothing to do with the primer . i have found difference in the finish even from the same tin . Tamiya seems to be more consistant 

Hope this helps 

Martin H

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys regarding the silver paint situation. In the past I have always found Humbrol 11 patchy to begin with, but after several coats it has a nice shiny appearance which is why I was a little disheartened. So when I woke this morning I went straight to the cupboard to see how the chrome paint had dried.

DSC_2225

DSC_2226

DSC_2224

The paint has given the model a shinier appearance, so I will carry on as planned and give it one final coat of 11 later today, crossing my fingers as I do so.

• Like 2

Love this plane. I'm a newbie but have done a couple metal finishes. Best I got was lifecolour primer brush painted then the humbrol metalcote aluminium spray on a 1/72 mustang p51. It polished up like a mirror...but when using a different primer on my MiG 15s it didn't have the same mirror effect 😥. One went dull grey the other was probably more accurate as slightly duller but shiney enough! Think watching the experienced people on here helps me and newbies being brave to ask helps everyone too. Hope the 11 coat gets a bit of shine, I'd love to do more metal Russian planes as there are some belters on here in this group, not brave enough yet...

good work

• Like 1

So after a break because of a busy week at work, I'm pleased to say I'm back working on all my kits. Had a treat yesterday, visiting Weston-super-Mare air festival, where I was excited at the prospect of seeing a Mig 15 UTI fly.

FB_IMG_1497819161110

The aircraft looked great, but I was a little underwhelmed as I expected it to sound like the Vampire. That said it was a treat to see the little pocket rocket I'm working on flying. The silver situation has improved, and I decided to add one more coat today to even it out slightly, will seal it in once dry with a coat of Quick Shine.

DSC_2268

DSC_2267

• Like 4

Having sealed the paint work in with Quick Shine, I turned my attention to tue decals. Being an old kit I wasn't holding out much hope of these being fantastic. How wrong I can be sometimes, they came off the backing paper with ease, were thin and easy to manoeuvre.

DSC_2275

DSC_2276

DSC_2277

Although there are minimal decals on the aircraft, they have brought it too life. Tonight I have sealed them in place with another coat of Quick Shine, and masked and painted the canopy.

• Like 3

Nmf is one of those "things" we all strive to achieve.....it's like the nirvana.....I like any of them. Though I saw one on the NATO 70s group build and oh my.....

Any nvm tho is a good watch in any build 

Been busy with minor details tonight, I have painted and fixed the jet pipe fairing, adding some copper to the mix to give the effect of heat. I then used the Mr.Metal Color to add some detailing around the tail of the aircraft.

DSC_2288

DSC_2287

I then painted the tanks insider, adding details with Mr.Metal Color, before giving the undercarriage and wheels another coat of paint.

DSC_2285

• Like 3

Tonight I turned my attention to the undercarriage, the instructions are minimal so there was a little guess work involved. Using Gorilla glue (because there isn't much joining the undercarriage to the aircraft)  I secured it all in place and left it to dry. 

DSC_2318

DSC_2319

DSC_2320

the aircraft seems to be sitting quite nicely and I'm pleased with its stance.

• Like 4

Tonight I have spent time adding the finishing touches. I fitted the canopy, (this is a bad fit, and in hind sight I should have fitted it before painting the aircraft). Once secure with Gorilla glue, I carefully added a small amount of filler to the gaps, hopefully making it airtight. I have also attached the drop tanks to each wing, and secured the pitot tubes in place. Not far off finishing now.

DSC_2324

DSC_2323

• Like 4

I have given the Mig a final coat of Quick Shine and she is now ready for inspection. For an old kit the model went together well, except for the poorly fitting canopy. I have learnt a few things, namely to fit the canopy before painting, and to be careful when using primer on silver aircraft. However, I have enjoyed the build and am pleased with the look of the aircraft. 

DSC_2331

DSC_2333

DSC_2334

DSC_2337

• Like 4

Congratulation in finishing the model - and a smart looking MiG-15 UTI it is. :clap2:

Something you still could do is painting the rear of the air intake black. This will enhance the look a bit I think as it will give the illusion of depth.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1