After an exciting day out at Abingdon Air and Country show, I've just got around to unboxing the vintage kits I picked up on the model stalls. The first being Mikro 1:72 Yak-1M.    

DSC_1889

I believe this kit is from 1977 and looks a little ruff around the edges, but should be fun.

DSC_1890

DSC_1891

There are 2 white sprues, each with a lot of flash, a tiny clear sprue, and some aging decals which could prove rather testing. 

DSC_1892

• Like 3

I recall building one of these, probably in the early 80s and likely obtained from the Model Engineer in Stirling who seemed to be able to pick up a lot of interesting East European kits in those days. 

I don't remember anything particularly bad about construction but a lot of the kits from that era had a pretty brutal mould release agent on the surface of the plastic that really needed to be cleaned off before work starts. It often showed up as a brownish residue, particularly in corners and angles. An old toothbrush and washing up liquid did the trick. 

Just something to be aware of. 

John 

• Like 1

Started working on both 70's kits today. I began by giving the kit a good soak in soapy water to remove some of the dust. The kit is quite basic and has a lot of flash on most parts. I sanded the edges of the seat and cockpit floor before giving them a coat of Humbrol 64. While I waited for these to dry I sanded the flash off the wheels, to make them round rather than square and gave them a coat of black.

DSC_1908

i then painted the interior fuselage walls grey, after 2 light coats of Humbrol 64 I dry brushed some black and gun metal over the top to weather it in. I then returned my attention to the seat, painting the back rest in Revell leather brown, and again weathering it with a dry brush of black.

DSC_1909

I have painted the plain instrument panel black, I may free hand some details on or look in my spares collection for a decal from a previous build. So far so good.

• Like 1

I have continued working on the interior of the fuselage today, adding minor details to the cockpit walls before fixing both halves of the fuselage together.

DSC_1915

The halves went together well, although it took a while to line them up correctly as they are not entirely symmetrical. 

DSC_1914

some filling and sanding will be needed but, it has begun to take shape quite nicely. 

DSC_1913

I have also painted the cockpit floor and pedals. Giving it a Base coat of Humbrol 64, and adding highlights with Revell gun metal, Mr.Metal Color, and dry brushing it with black to add a little dirt.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle:

I was curious about this kit boxing, and looking at your good job here I now has answer about the box contents.

The kit is not a Tamigawa but really looks wonderful with nice details to pick up the better this one can offer to make a well built kit.  Go ahead and keep on!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso, 

• Like 1

Today I have attached the Base of the seat and back to the cockpit floor, may fashion a harness to give it more detail before fixing the wings to tue fuselage.https://www.flickr.com/gp/149247612@N04/21i3af

I then attached the underside of the wing to the top, it went together better than I expected, but will require some sanding to smooth the edges date.https://www.flickr.com/gp/149247612@N04/iy19pX

I decided to add some detail to the cockpit by adding a harness to the seat.  For this I used fuse wire covered in tape, which I then painted and glued into place using Gorilla glue. I then slotted the wings and cockpit into the fuselage and secured in place (all rather easy for such an old kit).

DSC_1942

Looking like a little fighter now. I also added the clear glass panel behind the pilots seat.

DSC_1943

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back to it after a weeks holiday. I have attached the tail plane pieces to both sides of the tail. They had a lot of flash and rough edges, so using a Modellers file, I sanded them down smooth and fixed them into place.

DSC_2203

DSC_2203

I then turned my attention to the air scoop. This too had lots of flash, again using a mini file I sanded the piece down and fixed it into place.

DSC_2205

Tomorrow I will fill any gaps and prep for a coat of primer.

• Like 1

Things have moved along slowly since my last post. I filled some if the joins with Humbrol filler and sanded them down smooth, I then gave the underside of the aircraft a coat of Humbrol primer. As Ive chosen to go with the white colour scheme, I then masked off the side of the fuselage and underside of the nose section ready for its striking blue coat. For this I used Mr Hobby H323 light blue, the same shade I used previously on the La-7.

DSC_2219

I am not a huge fan of this paint, it is very sticky, dries very quickly and shows all the blemishes, it does however bring the aircraft to life. I plan to give it one more coat before sealing it in place with Quick Shine varnish. 

• Like 1

Having sealed in the underside, yesterday I began working painting the fuselage and wings in Revell white. I had forgotten how unforgiving white paint is and how hard to brush paint. Tonight I have given it a second coat, but I am still not happy with the appearance.

DSC_2278

DSC_2279

Here's hoping a third coat will improve it.

• Like 2

Looked at the Yak this morning and really wasn't happy with the visible brush strokes in the white. So I decided a blast of rattle can white from poundland couldn't make the situation any worse. I'm not very experienced with spray painting, luckily though my other half is! So this afternoon he has given it a coat for me, and it already looks better!

DSC_2284

• Like 2