1/35 Tamiya Wespe

Hello everyone , this is my first post

As i had some time to work with, I finished painting  the tamiya wespe. This is my first build , so it's not nearly as good as other models i saw on the forum, but so far I'm pretty happy with the result.

I haven't take pictures during the process , i'm sorry for that, but we learn from our mistakes.

Later on y will apply a coat of varnish so y can apply some oil washes and dot streaking.

I am from Argentina and here is very dificult and expensive to find good quality paints, i have used tamiya german grey and tamiya german field gray. I also used some local brand called Sicko, for primer and some cheap acrylics for the accsesories.

Of course it's not finish and any advice will be well recive.

Hope you like it so far, and please help me to achieve better results !

Thank's for your time !

Here are the photos :

IMG-20170514-WA0002_zpsham5fh1w.jpg

IMG-20170514-WA0004_zpsntci5tx7.jpg

IMG-20170514-WA0005_zps5nyathhg.jpg

IMG-20170514-WA0003_zpsstwlemoi.jpg

Santiago F.

Edited by santiago
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cromwell said:

Well done on your first build

had the 1/35th bug bitten you yet?

Yes !! I've alredy started the SU 85 from tamiya ! I think its the best scale for display tanks

Thank you !

• 1 month later...

I had some time to contiunue the project , i think it's around 90% finished, i would like to put some mud and dirt in the spots up the wheels, it just look like empty, i'm also planning to make a little base just to display, but it's going to take some time,

As always feel free to comment and say whatever u may think  as i want to get better.

Thank you, 

PD: sorry for the quality of the photo, i'm not sure how to take them, what i'm doing is using my sisters' iphone and a lamp to iluminate it. If anyone knows how any trick to get them better would be accepted :).

IMG-20170626-WA0007_zpstswr63c1.jpg

IMG-20170626-WA0011_zpsltchdrc2.jpg

IMG-20170626-WA0014_zpseybkswyx.jpgIMG-20170626-WA0013_zpsbhpthx7d.jpgIMG-20170626-WA0010_zps9etbmokz.jpgIMG-20170626-WA0018_zpsvqs84so0.jpgIMG-20170626-WA0012_zps6aonitoi.jpg

The second batch of photos are much better as the first were too dark to show any detail.

Nice weathering, those nicks and scratches look realistic and it's not so filthy as to hide all of the fine stuff.

Too bad Tamiya wouldn't get away from the rubber band tracks on some of their kits.

Here's a suggestion.

You could try stuffing some rolled up tissue or something between the upper track run and the fenders then glueing the tracks to the idler rollers

with some super glue to give a subtle amount of sag in places.  Just a little sag goes a long ways as the tracks look too tight

on top right now.  Of course don't glue the tissue to the tracks and take it out when the glue dries, haha. 

This is pretty darned good for a first model and now you have the 1/35 bug they will get better and better.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

As Lloyd said, the photos are better. Your model looks good, but this make a problem. Now those Tamiya tracks are the weakest point of it. It is not your fault, but maybe it is worht to think about changing them on individual links?

• Like 1

I echo what everyone else has said, great first effort, and the second batch of photos are much better. If you are photographing a dark model like this one, try getting a lighter background. If you have an art shop near you, see if they have any large sheets of white or light coloured card. Failing that, if you have some photocopy paper, use that as a background.

John.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

The second batch of photos are much better as the first were too dark to show any detail.

Nice weathering, those nicks and scratches look realistic and it's not so filthy as to hide all of the fine stuff.

Too bad Tamiya wouldn't get away from the rubber band tracks on some of their kits.

Here's a suggestion.

You could try stuffing some rolled up tissue or something between the upper track run and the fenders then glueing the tracks to the idler rollers

with some super glue to give a subtle amount of sag in places.  Just a little sag goes a long ways as the tracks look too tight

on top right now.  Of course don't glue the tissue to the tracks and take it out when the glue dries, haha. 

This is pretty darned good for a first model and now you have the 1/35 bug they will get better and better.

Take care,

Lloyd

I will try it this week ! the problem is that i don't know how much sag i should put.

Thanks !!

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

As Lloyd said, the photos are better. Your model looks good, but this make a problem. Now those Tamiya tracks are the weakest point of it. It is not your fault, but maybe it is worht to think about changing them on individual links?

Hi Kris,

Yes I've looked for some aftermarket pieces, but here in argentina they don't even exist, so i have to deal with the rubber tracks.

What i have done is first paint them matt black, then a very subtle brown/red/oxide color, and after that drybrushed with some tamiya steel .

Do yo have any advice on how i can make these tracks get a little more realistic ?

Thanks !!

As far as sag goes you will have to guesstimate or whatever looks good to you.  There wasn't much sag between the return rollers but there was a little and having the upper track

run in a perfectly straight line doesn't look natural.  This is a Panzer IV but you can see the track sag is subtle and the modeller uses plastic drinking straws.

The weathering on the tracks looks great, dirty and rusty but not overwhelming.  I have muddied up tracks on a couple of models and it's really easy to go too far

and hard to undo after you make a mess.  Yours look good to me.

PZ4G-assembling-tracks-top-run.jpg

• Like 1