Airfix Blenheim Mk IVF

Hello all

I finally finished my Airfix Blenheim after a bit of a struggle. It started out as a Mk I but I messed up the canopy so it became a Mk IVF! Fit was problematic in places, to say the least. Lots of old school cutting, filling and sanding was required, and at one point I felt like giving in - definitely my least favourite Airfix build so far.

Markings are for V5735 from 254 Squadron, while on Coastal Command duties in July 1941. It's a homage to the old-tool AIrfix Blenheim which included this option. I used Xtradecal codes and the serial number was supplied by fellow Britmodeller 'Johnd' who kindly sent me a set of transfers from the old kit. It's not quite accurate as the real aircraft had the later style of canopy with blisters in the side, which Airfix don't supply. I also didn't bother with the gas detection patches on both wings and tailplanes.

In the end I was reasonably pleased with how it turned out. It sits nicely in my little Airfix collection but I shan't be building another! 

IMG_1591_zpsh2m0d9zp.jpg

IMG_1589_zpscflzpzfo.jpg

IMG_1576_zpswtaqgktt.jpg

IMG_1581_zpssmrkxz3y.jpg

IMG_1584_zpsrmscugea.jpg

IMG_1586_zpsao4rsth4.jpg

IMG_1578_zpsv7cjwhx3.jpg

IMG_1588_zpsxnred4r1.jpg

IMG_1587_zpskdi91vrd.jpg

IMG_1582_zps00pqvhlh.jpg

IMG_1594_zpsdzlhianc.jpg

• Like 52

Hi Ian,

despite all the troubles and tribulations you encountered, I love the final result.

Never built a Airfix Blenheim, but I suspect that in order to be able to switch from Mk I to Mk IV, the whole nose section must be a unit separate from the fuselage, or am I wrong?

It just looks great!

JR

• Like 1

That's turned out very nicely despite your troubles and some welcome inspiration for me. I'm halfway through a Mk1 and and may end up taking your route. I have just fitted the front section and am looking at it now and going hmmmmm....

BTW I like the colours, what paints did you use?

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete
  • Like 1

A lovely looking Blenheim.

That is a very fine paint finish.

May I ask what method you employed in getting those panel lines so sharp? The ones on the underside are particularly impressive - well, at least to me. I have just totally mucked up a 1/72 TSR2 trying to achieve that effect.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Ian,

despite all the troubles and tribulations you encountered, I love the final result.

Never built a Airfix Blenheim, but I suspect that in order to be able to switch from Mk I to Mk IV, the whole nose section must be a unit separate from the fuselage, or am I wrong?

It just looks great!

JR

Hi Jean. Yes, Airfix has done it in a modular style with separate cockpit sections. Others appear to have had no problems but I really struggled to get a good fit. Personally I'd have preferred a simple one piece fuselage. My Mk I canopy was short-moulded, and I was unable to get a spare from Airfix. It wasn't too much of a gap so I tried to repair it with a bit of plastic card and Kristal Klear. It sort of worked. Then I spilled Tamiya extra thin all over it...:swear: 

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

very nice job! I particularly like the 'wash' you appear to have used..

Thanks Falke. I used an overall Flory Models clay wash, with a bit of dry brushing and some oils.

1 hour ago, Potato Pete said:

That's turned out very nicely despite your troubles and some welcome inspiration for me. I'm halfway through a Mk1 and and may end up taking your route. I have just fitted the front section and am looking at it now and going hmmmmm....

BTW I like the colours, what paints did you use?

Pete

Cheers Pete. Paints were Sovereign Colourcoats. I brush painted the dark green. Good luck with yours!

39 minutes ago, Michael Enright said:

A lovely looking Blenheim.

That is a very fine paint finish.

May I ask what method you employed in getting those panel lines so sharp? The ones on the underside are particularly impressive - well, at least to me. I have just totally mucked up a 1/72 TSR2 trying to achieve that effect.

Michael

Thank you Michael. I used to do pin washes with oils, but lately have been using Flory clay washes. For the Blenheim I used 'dark dirt'. Paint it all over and then wipe off when dry with a damp piece of kitchen towel. Highlighting panel lines isn't always realistic, of course, but it can help create an overall weathered look. I should add - you need to do the wash over a gloss or satin coat. It sticks to matt paint like glue!    

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

Hats off to you, a very good looking model and great paint 🎨 work.

just put mine in it's box, half way, every thing you said happened to mine, fit terrible and cockpit didn't fit well, I've seen a lot made up, you can see each one has had it's problems, be great if Revell did a better fitting one😉

Edited by Gerrardandrews
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Hats off to you, a very good looking model and great paint 🎨 work.

just put mine in it's box, half way, every thing you said happened to mine, fit terrible and cockpit didn't fit well, I've seen a lot made up, you can see each one has had it's problems, be great if Revell did a better fitting one😉

Thank you Gerrard. There's lots that's good about the kit - the engines and undercarriage are excellent, the wings slotted in fine and the Mk IV canopy fits a lot better than the Mk I. The issues I had - apart from the defective canopy - may have been down to Airfix's fine fit tolerances and my cack-handeness. If you get one part a little bit off it can throw the whole thing out. Maybe. Anyway, I hope you get your build going again.  

12 hours ago, johnd said:

It's turned out to be a cracker. I haven't the guts to start mine.

John.

Thanks again for your help John.

• 5 weeks later...

It looks very good. I intend for a Finnish MkI in the near future. Seems I'll have a canopy challenge. Yours is the second review I've read stating some problem with the clear bits. 

Thanks for the pics and review. 

Zip

On 6/16/2017 at 2:53 AM, Zippythehog said:

It looks very good. I intend for a Finnish MkI in the near future. Seems I'll have a canopy challenge. Yours is the second review I've read stating some problem with the clear bits. 

Thanks for the pics and review. 

Zip

Thanks Zip and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your Finnish Blenheim - post here so we can have a look! 

You wouldn't know you've had problems to look at it. Lovely build and finish, and the canopy area is really sharp.

The build does have its challenging moments, bit I promise you it's a lot better than the old Airfix kit!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1