Revell 1/32 Spitfire MKix

stevej60

On 16/05/2017 at 11:20 AM, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's I did the original kit a couple of years ago and agree with Kallisti it is a painless build.

SDC12556800x600_zps2f18bc93.jpg

Nice job, which is strange because I found the kit a complete DOG!  One of the very few builds that I've binned without completion.  I've got the IX which I HOPE is better ;)

The cockpit does seem a little sparse compared to the Tamiya version, but then look at the price comparison. The ' floor ' seems a little flat and too solid to me, if/when I get one I think I would take out some of it between the frames, using the Tamiya part as a guide.

John

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The cockpit does seem a little sparse compared to the Tamiya version, but then look at the price comparison. The ' floor ' seems a little flat and too solid to me, if/when I get one I think I would take out some of it between the frames, using the Tamiya part as a guide.

John

That's the beauty of the kit John,enough detail OOB for most but a good basis for those that want to go the extra mile!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've got the IX which I HOPE is better ;)

well, its essentially the same kit I'd have thought (not having seen the earlier one) with a few additions such as pointy rudder, clipped wing option, different stabilisers etc 

• Like 1

Morning folk's among a few other thing's I have started the cockpit of the Spitfire just added the basic belt's made out of masking tape

next job will to be add detail with a pencil and figure out the best way to detail the clock's and dial's.

20170524_103611_zpsucrurpuf.jpg

• Like 6

Hi folk's taking FalkEins method I have detailed most of the IP,the few that were too small for my eyesight will be detailed with

a dot here and there with a cocktail stick and white paint!

20170527_214159_zps1hdhkefj.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Steve the ip looks like a good job ,

Glynn

Thank's Glyn,I'm not really a super detail type but in this scale I like it to look busy through the glazing:smile:

• Like 2

Evening all,last few day's progress with the cockpit detailed the seat promptly came loose so I've taken it out for now as the cockpit

needs to be filled with paper towelling for painting,the fuselage and wing's are cemented and now left to dry.

20170531_013611_zps2eudkk2c.jpg

• Like 2

Yes it is always a worry that cockpit parts come loose with all the handling/sanding that goes on, I've had a few head scratching moments in the past trying to figure out how to replace internal items.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Even worse when the glazing is firmly in place Dennis! This morning I assembled the wing's and wing tip's also cleaned up

the fuselage joins and filled in a couple of sink mark's forward of the cockpit.

20170531_113021_zpsitcelpiy.jpg

• Like 2

Hi folk's just noticed a few photo's gone AWOL from the last few day's funny as the normal link through PB was playing up so that

may be the reason,anyway all the seams now cleaned up and tail plane's rudder etc fitted a dry run show's just a little tweaking

for a nice fit of the wing's so that will be a job for tomorrow.

20170601_163843_zpsagpvwa1s.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

indeed. Spent most of the day trying to get the wings on mine. Must have done something wrong, because they just refused to fit properly

I suspect it's nothing you have done wrong,In the end I had a right carry on getting them to sit right but I noticed a bit of fuselage warping

during it's construction on the right hand half which is where the wing would not line up either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I suspect it's nothing you have done wrong,In the end I had a right carry on getting them to sit right but I noticed a bit of fuselage warping

during it's construction on the right hand half which is where the wing would not line up either.

thanks Steve!  Even super-glueing from the back to the front in stages, still left a step on the starboard wing, while I had to fettle a lot to prevent the dihedral from getting 'flattened' out. I read Tony's build report - he mentioned a shim to fill the gap. No gaps on mine, they just wouldn't go on ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning folk's,just an update of work done on the last couple of week's.I,ve sprayed the under surface light gray and just finished the

upper surface darker gray I notice these Tamiya RAF colours tend to dry satin which is no major issue as the whole lot is glossed anyway,

I've left the wing's needing one more coat as I will brush paint an area of aluminium on the walked on area for weathering.

20170612_111000_zpssnxm2ctx.jpg

• Like 4