Kit-Starter - Beagle Basset 206 - FINISHED

nimrod54

Nice scratch building there John :thumbsup2: .

The rescribing is a big improvement. All coming along very nicely :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

@Hockeyboy76

@PlaStix

@TonyTiger66

Good morning chaps and thanks for the comments. I've started work on the interior and the first thing I wanted to do was to set about improving the kits instrument panel. I started by removing the lump from the top of the coaming, then I increased the depth of the panel by resurfacing the face with a piece of thin sheet plastic. There is no detail in the kit so armed with a photo and my dwindling stock of Reheat instrument bezels, I created a rough representation of detail that is there. I'm going to let this set up before painting it grey and then picking out the details with some black. 

35650031225_2291e9c92f_o.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That's a very nice IP. Where did you get the bezels from buddy?

Thanks H, I bought the bezels in the early 90's, but unfortunately Reheat are no longer in business. Whirlybird Models over in Barnsley produce a couple of 1/72 sets though, a set of single bezels and a second one of mutiples. HTH 

• Like 1

IP looks great mate. It'll look great painted. Really glad to see the effort you're putting in to bring the kit up to modern day tool standards. Deservedly so as it' a lovey looking aircraft.

• Like 1

@Hockeyboy76

@Tomoshenko

Thanks for your comments and support fellas, I've managed to do a bit more work since Thursday. I have extended the floor to finish under the IP and the interior has been painted and fixed to one fuselage half. There are no paint colours shown on the instructions, so I have gone with a best guess and used a pale grey for the floor and sides and Hu109 WW1 Matt Blue for the seats. The IP was painted neutral grey then had the dials picked out with black, followed by a wash with Citadel Nuln Oil and a dry brush with a lighter grey and then this too was fitted to the fuselage.

This afternoon I decided to have a crack at making a centre console, and again I have simplified the detail adding a single lever were there are doubles, but once everything is closed up I think that it will look OK.

35525065162_f43a809c1c_c.jpg

35654634896_2e353ca8a9_c.jpg

I have also filled the gaps around the cabin windows and started to sand and polish these so that they are flush with the outer surface, I'll post some photos at the next update.

• Like 10

Hi John,

just caught up with your build as I was stuck in Harare for my sins.

I love what you have achieved with the IP. Like you I still have the Reheat bezels, along with the instrument decals, although in 1/72 that may be somewhat outlandish...

Anyway, your Basset is really turning well.

Have fun with the rest of the build!

JR

• Like 1

I'm out of likes. Still; I like! :)

Those instrument bezels look superb. Very nice painting process there. Good choice of colour for the seats too.

This is turning into a very attractive model.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

That looks great buddy. That's a lot of levers for the typical Airfix pilot to use, if he can ever get his hands off of his legs!  

Thanks H. Heaven only knows what he would have done had I put them all in. :frantic:

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, Hewy said:

Been a bit lost on other stuff of late but a Super project ,i like it ,Nice work in the cockpit  john,

Glynn

That's OK Glynn, drop by when you can. Glad that you are enjoying the build.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, jean said:

Hi John,

just caught up with your build as I was stuck in Harare for my sins.

I love what you have achieved with the IP. Like you I still have the Reheat bezels, along with the instrument decals, although in 1/72 that may be somewhat outlandish...

Anyway, your Basset is really turning well.

Have fun with the rest of the build!

JR

Hi Jean,

Welcome back and I hope Harare wasn't too tedious a trip.

I also have the 1/72 decals, but I have found them difficult to use without a punch and die set.

One problem with enlarged images is that it shows all the flaws, like glue that you may have missed and blotchy washes etc. so what I thought was a good piece looks bloomin' awful through the eye of the camera. Good job that it is hidden in a closed cabin. :winkgrin:

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm out of likes. Still; I like! :)

Those instrument bezels look superb. Very nice painting process there. Good choice of colour for the seats too.

This is turning into a very attractive model.

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks again for the kind comment Tony. 

I try to limit my use of these because my stocks are getting low now. They were and still are a nice product it's just a shame Reheat aren't about now, but I guess that the hole has been filled by the likes of Eduard and Yahu with their multi-coloured instrument panels. However, even now these would fill a gap for the less common types where nothing is available.

Update time.

The fuselage halves have been glued together and I have started to clean up the seams and remove the rivet detail before I re-scribe the main panel lines. I've removed most of the moulded details to make the clean up easier, these will be restored later in the build. I've also tidied up the fin/rudder and just added a touch of filler around the base of the fin, I still have to scribe in some detail such as the rudder trim tab to finish this area. The photos also show the work done on blending/polishing the cabin windows.

34900897343_8e36829bc9_c.jpg

34900898063_59409258e9_c.jpg

Thanks for dropping by.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Jean,

Welcome back and I hope Harare wasn't too tedious a trip.

I also have the 1/72 decals, but I have found them difficult to use without a punch and die set.

One problem with enlarged images is that it shows all the flaws, like glue that you may have missed and blotchy washes etc. so what I thought was a good piece looks bloomin' awful through the eye of the camera. Good job that it is hidden in a closed cabin. :winkgrin:

Hi John,

Harare is always a tedious trip. Everybody is trying to kill you, or so it seems, as on can witness some wonderful creative driving! Bad for the blood pressure. Enough said.

The only way the decals can be used without a punch & die is by creating a thin IP, drilling the dials in it and setting the decals on a background support. Painting everything black is much easier!

Welcome to the curse of overly magnified photos. I have found it most depressing. Photos taken from 2 meters away with an extra wide angle lens are far better for the spirit!

Your Basset is looking really sleek! Great job.

JR

• Like 2

Fuselage and fin looking smooth and sleek, especially the windows. Extra details and scribing will set it off. As for the comments about magnified piccies, yes I know the feeling those damn macro shots take no prisoners, but don't be hard on yourself as you've magnified them 8 -9 times life size!

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments gents. I am not disappointed with the end result I was just surprised at how untidy it looks. I could always try the old photographers trick of using a smear of Vaseline in front of the lens. :winkgrin:

I have now fitted the windscreen and set this aside to harden up, it is a reasonable fit, looking like I will need just a small amount of filler to fair it in to the fuselage.

35564248572_f7c138ff92_c.jpg

I then thought that I would make a start on re-scribing the tailplanes and elevators in line with the drawing I have been using. Because the kit part is recessed into the fuselage I held the part in position and marked it up in line with the fuselage, I then laid this over the drawing and discovered that it was oversize.

35564247602_396d0d4c17_c.jpg

I decided to correct the kit part and marked up the relevant area of the drawing then laid the part on top and marked that up in readiness for cutting to length. Once I have double checked everything and cut it I will sand off the detail before starting the re-scribing process.

35564250582_bb3d48afa7_c.jpg

35564249852_2f2e000f1a_c.jpg

35564249262_d122a5fbde_c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A bit more work done to this over the last couple of days. The fuselage has had some primer and topcoat on the upper section and I've added the tail  planes late this afternoon, filling the gaps around these with Glue n Glaze. I am going to allow the paint to harden off before I cut a couple of masks for the lower colour demarcation using a black and white scan of the flashes on the decal sheet as a cutting guide..

35770589471_c0df4b628c_c.jpg

• Like 7

I have managed to mask up and then, using a rattle can, sprayed some Tamiya Silver Leaf on the lower fuselage and flying surfaces over the past couple of days. I have just finished removing the masking so here are a couple of shots of my progress to date. 

35962693055_a69d251bfa_c.jpg

35962694275_c6c9fce19d_c.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...