Kit-Starter - Beagle Basset 206 - FINISHED

nimrod54

I thought that this would be an ideal subject for this Group Build. Produced by British Executive and General Aviation Limited (BEAGLE) the Basset 206 had it's first flight at Shoreham in August 1961. After a fly-off between the Basset 206 and DH Devon as a replacement aircraft for the Anson, an order was placed by the RAF for 20 B206R's (Basset CC1) and this will be the subject for this build.

35481344722_ace30e49ff_o.jpg

35481344602_22cb9d05ca_o.jpg

I will be a little while starting because I have a couple of builds going on in other GB's to complete first, but hopefully there will be enough time left to squeeze in a second build that will allow me to make something outside of my comfort zone again.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Fine choice. I have this kit in the stash too (Kit-Starter). Will be following with interest.

At first glance it looks to be a nice kit, I'm looking forward to starting it.

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

A real blast from the past John!

Yes Steve, straight from the raised panel line era. I don't know if I should experiment a bit and try out a technique that I have not used before, that is to use a dark primer (probably grey) under the topcoat and then lightly sand to reveal the panel lines. Anyway, there is plenty of assembly work to do before I need to make that decision.

13 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Good luck John. Will be watching, shud have been in on this too, but still no progress on the man cave (everything's still boxed from the move)

Cheers mate and I'm sorry to hear about the man cave delays, but I'm sure you will get there. Hope that you are all finding some time to relax in between remodelling/refurbishment projects, breaks are important for keeping the spirits up.

• Like 1

Hi again John,

I have always liked the Basset, and it is indeed a blast from a remote past...

Having said that, as much as I remember the Airfix kit, I have never heard of Kit Starter. What is this? Ah Airfix re-box?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

A beautiful aircraft. I missed these when Airfix re released them and they're hard to find. 

Looking forward to watching this one develop, thanks for sharing this :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, jean said:

Hi again John,

I have always liked the Basset, and it is indeed a blast from a remote past...

Having said that, as much as I remember the Airfix kit, I have never heard of Kit Starter. What is this? Ah Airfix re-box?

Cheers

JR

Hi Jean.

Kit Starter was a scheme run by Airfix a year or two ago where modellers were invited to select from a number of older kits that they would like to see re-issued. If a model gained enough interest then it would be re-released. If I remember correctly, the Beagle Basset was the only kit issued under this scheme. I don't think that the concept gained enough interest though, because shortly after this, Airfix announced that they would be dropping the idea.

But in a nutshell, it is an Airfix re-issue.

Cheers

• Like 1

With my Vulcan build nearing completion, I have decided that it is time to make a start on the Beagle Basset. One job done today was removal of the kit part number and a prominent ejector pin mark from the inside of each fuselage half, this was then followed with coat of primer over these and other cockpit parts.

35481343162_5fd6764298_o.jpg

There was also time for a test fit of the main components and a check of largest of the windows. I had to do some fettling of the fuselage halves to improve the fit, but I will need to add a shim of plastic to the upper section and then shape this some more to get this right.

34840892893_ec6bc01b50_o.jpg

34840892793_cac81ee775_o.jpg

There are also a couple of holes on the underside that look as though they may have been for a stand, so these will need to be filled too. The heavy rivet detail that featured on many Airfix kits of this vintage will also need some attention, that is going to mean sanding and some rescribing - if I can find a decent line diagram. 

34840892553_7340238f17_o.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

just catching up with threads I have been unable to follow for a while.

I am really sorry to hear about Roxy. Here we do not have the luxury to end their suffering without a seven hour drive, which is seldom an option. So she went quick and you and your wife should take comfort in this knowledge. Are you getting another pet?

This Basset of yours is looking real good, and I hope you can resume this build soon.

JR

• Like 1

I finally made a start on this by doing some re-scribing work on one wing. The plan was to simplify the panel detail that was there and I started by sanding away the raised detail until I had reduced it by about half. Doing this meant that there was still something visible which, along with referring to the plans, I could use as a guide for re-scribing some of the main panel lines.

Upper wing is the kit as is, lower wing re-scribed.

34840890633_130c47a8df_o.jpg34840890473_a267464364_o.jpg

• Like 8

I did a bit more work on this build today. I rescribed and then sanded the rivet detail from the other wing, it still needs some further smoothing and then a polish to finish it off and both will require some refining around the nacelles.

34840890313_01d6d1a3ab_o.jpg

Then I took a look at the fuselage, and one area that requires improvement is the fin/rudder. It is the wrong shape and undersize when compared to the Warpaint drawing, so off it came. I then layered up some plastic sheet and stuck a copy of the drawing over one side in preparation for cutting out and filing/sanding to size and shape.

35650031075_3c20888ca6_c.jpg

34840890183_5776f52cdc_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice work John. I have the Warpaint drawings too. Glad to see you're having a crack at the re-scribing, wings are looking good. Didn't realise the fin was that far out. How is the canopy by the way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice work John. I have the Warpaint drawings too. Glad to see you're having a crack at the re-scribing, wings are looking good. Didn't realise the fin was that far out. How is the canopy by the way?

Thanks for the comment. I was surprised by the fin too, it is quite a bit off and I am keeping my fingers crossed that my current plan to correct it works OK.

As for the glazing, I have added the cabin windows to the fuselage halves tonight, when I checked them out they looked a bit on the thick side and I had to trim the fuselage openings and windows to improve the fit. The rear ones snagged up on the little bulkhead, so they needed some careful trimming in this area. The fit isn't perfect and there are some small gaps around the frames that will have to be filled, they also protrude from the fuselage at the top edges, but with some sanding and polishing they will be fine. The canopy fit isn't bad at all and once the instrument panel is in position it could help things further again a small amount of filling will neaten things up.

I'll take some photos of how everything looks before I continue any further and post them at the next update.  

• Like 4

First up, a few photos to show the standard of fit around the cockpit glazing, there are a some gaps but overall it's not too bad for a kit of this vintage.

35481344892_e1f684a23c_o.jpg

34840889753_224c09a8c7_c.jpg

34840890013_4f8a93f5e5_o.jpg

Today I managed to get the fin and rudder parts roughed out, I'll finalise the shape once I glue the fuselage halves together, so the next job will be to complete the interior fit.

35263016910_3035ec3a3e_o.jpg

• Like 9