Airfix F-111E "Somewhere in England"

AdrianMF

I printed up some Upper Heyford codes at work  on the laser printer today using USAF Amarillo font, in 9, 6 and 2.5mm. I write on the top sheet in the tray so I know which way round the paper is going through then I print the codes on the paper. Then I can tape the decal paper over where the codes are, put the paper back in the tray the same way round and run it again:

IMG_5281.jpg

The other codes are left over from my Privateer build.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Well, sad to say, I couldn't find another Blenheim seat for the navigator, so I had to break out the plastic card, fuse wire and wine bottle foil...

IMG_5283.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 11

Bold move to steer away from the drop-in Blenheim option, but I think you've made the right choice. Lucky how all that plastic card, fuse wire and wine bottle foil just fell into place so neatly though, and how it looks just like an F-111's cockpit...

Very nicely done.

• Like 3

What with the cockpit,gear bays, and bomb bay ,you may as well of scratch built the whole lot.very impressive adrian, proper modelling from the top shelf

Glynn

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Very nice Adrian, I have an Airfix F-111E to build, do you mind knocking up a cockpit for me as well ? :D Sure it won't take too long.

I've still got the Blenheim bits, if you can find the extra seat :wicked:

Actually, messing around with plastic card is my favourite bit of a build. I blame it on watching too much Blue Peter as a nipper. Now, where's that sticky back plastic?...

I undercoated the cockpit and I have actually (shock, horror) stuck some parts together. There Will Be Milliput. And sanding. I thought I should get that out of the way before doing any more painting. I have painted the wings a bit because they will be movable and I wanted to get them all painted and dry near the fulcrum:

IMG_5287.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Hello All,

Today has has been mostly cockpit:

IMG_5291.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg

When you are sticking it all together in virginal white plastic it's easy to believe that it will be the best cockpit ever, but then paint comes along and jolts you back to reality...

Meanwhile the canopy is drying under a coat of Future. When that's dry I can make some switches for the middle rail and stick the canopy on. Then I can give the model a final coat of Milliput tonight and sand it down tomorrow.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, this hasn't been a very well-fitting kit at all. The escape pod fitted where it touched and the canopy and most pieces are going to need filler and sanding to blend in.

Meanwhile round the back I've added some far-too-shallow flame-holders from stretched sprue and fusewire on the basis that incorrect detail is better than nothing!

IMG_5295.jpg

I'm at the point where I just want this done. Seeing all the superb Hasegawa builds is bad for morale over here in Camp Airfix. I will have to increase the rum ration and see if that helps!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

I added the lumps and handles under the canopy rail and had a shot at the silver blast curtains too:

IMG_5298.jpg

Oh look, another ton of Milliput:

IMG_5299.jpg

Mrs F has very kindly found me a pile of jobs to do around the house so I don't get bored waiting for the putty to dry. That girl's a keeper!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

The work that you have done in the cockpit alone is amazing Adrian, especially when you compare to the more moderner Hasegawa ones. Do not talk yourself done in what you are doing with this ancient kit. Keep up this good work.

• Like 1

Well, some things in life just work; Perfect Plastic Putty is one of them for fins and strakes:

IMG_5300.jpg

And the Milliput is still not set yet - I'm running out of household chores, too :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Well, that was interesting. I had finished sanding down today's ton of Milliput and this happened:

IMG_5306.jpg

Rubbing the canopy had created static, which attracted all the rubbish in the fuselage to the inside of the canopy, despite the cockpit being an almost sealed unit!

was not looking forward to prising the canopy and its layer of filler off, so I tried rubbing a running shirt (100% polyester) along the bottom of the fuselage while flicking the canopy to loosen the bits. Sure enough, they went off to their new home somewhere down by the undercarriage well:

IMG-5307.jpg

Phew!

Adrian

• Like 14

Good result to get the particles towards the bottom of the aircraft and away from your impressive cockpit - hopefully those flecks of whatever are content to add to the ballast of your kit and stay put!

• Like 1

Iv've got a one week work trip starting today. I got the aerials on and touched up the filler this morning so I can start painting in earnest when I get back. I'm hoping the little flecks of plastic will stay away from the canopy!

Regards,

Adrian