Airfix F-111E "Somewhere in England"

AdrianMF

Well I'm back from my travels and it's out with the Humbrol 118. Watching brush painting in progress is not a recreational activity suited to those with a nervous disposition!

IMG_5321.jpg

Ā 

I mayĀ have to do some more fillingĀ around the nose but I will get the paint on first to get an idea of how rough it is.

Ā 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7

Hello All,

Ā 

I'm trying to get it finished ASAP. Here's meĀ channeling my inner 10-year old while painting the inside of the door:

IMG_5359.jpg

Ā 

It's not like anyone's going toĀ seeĀ it, right?

Ā 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

It's done. A bit rushed at the end but it's nice to have finished.Ā 

Ā 

First of all, here's the cockpit. Most of the detail is visible although it's impossible for me to get a good picture of the instrument panel:

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Ā 

And here's all the opening up underneath:

IMG_5364.jpg

Ā 

I did get my three landing lights in the front bay but again it would take a better photographer than me to provide evidence!

Ā 

The wings swing (independently; I proved to my own satisfaction that it was impossible to simply modify the provided linkage to make them symmetrical at all angles), and the tailplane inclines, although I replaced the flimsy plastic axle structure with a piece of aluminium tube that runs through some more draught foam to give it some friction. So in the absence of propellers, it has the right number of moving features for a twin-engined plane!

Ā 

Wings out, tailplanes inclined:

IMG_5818.jpg

Ā 

Tailplanes level and a bit of sweep:

IMG_5822.jpg

Ā 

More pics in the gallery. Thanks for a group build that took me out of my comfort zone!

Ā 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Ā 

• Like 14

Great work Adrian, well done on finishing her!!! Ā :thumbsup:

Ā 

She looks great and I do like theĀ cockpit photos, nice detailing work there, theyĀ lookĀ great through the canopy.

Ā 

Glad you could join us, was great to have you along, I do hope you enjoyed the build. Plus don't forget to post photos in the gallery.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2017 at 16:25, AdrianMF said:

It's done. A bit rushed at the end but it's nice to have finished.Ā 

Ā 

First of all, here's the cockpit. Most of the detail is visible although it's impossible for me to get a good picture of the instrument panel:

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

Ā 

And here's all the opening up underneath:

IMG_5364.jpg

Ā 

I did get my three landing lights in the front bay but again it would take a better photographer than me to provide evidence!

Ā 

The wings swing (independently; I proved to my own satisfaction that it was impossible to simply modify the provided linkage to make them symmetrical at all angles), and the tailplane inclines, although I replaced the flimsy plastic axle structure with a piece of aluminium tube that runs through some more draught foam to give it some friction. So in the absence of propellers, it has the right number of moving features for a twin-engined plane!

Ā 

Wings out, tailplanes inclined:

IMG_5818.jpg

Ā 

Tailplanes level and a bit of sweep:

IMG_5822.jpg

Ā 

More pics in the gallery. Thanks for a group build that took me out of my comfort zone!

Ā 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Ā 

Looks fabulous.... I used to live in Banbury during the 80's when these would fly over daily, and then started working at the BX on RAF Upper Heyford in '87.... saw, and heard, so many of these coming and going over those years :)Ā Ā 
Your fabulous build brings back so many lovely memories of seeing these amazing birds tearing overhead... Thanks :)Ā  Superb scratch-building skills, and a lovely finish :)Ā 

• Like 2

That's pretty amazing Adrian. I wish I had caught the build earlier.

Ā 

There am I, worried about lack of I/PĀ decals and you go and scratch build..,. everything :frantic:Ā !

Ā 

Blue Peter taught you well, young Jedi. It's a far cry from the Action Man tent or coat hanger and bauble Christmas mobile :thumbsup2:Ā .

Ā 

Really nice work, a joy to beholdĀ :)

:goodjob:Ā 

Ā 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks gents!

Ā 

The weapons bay got built because I messed up the scribing on the bomb bay doors! Not a fan of scribing. I blame the plastic this time...

Ā 

I'm currently trying to build the Airfix Mosquito (1/72 not 1/24!) in three days to sneak into the de Havilland GBĀ before the weekend. I often have that kit out so I thought I had better build it before I wear away the plastic!

Ā 

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

The 111 just is not right at only one angle ;)

Gotta have swinging wings! Rude not to.

Ā 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 20/05/2017 at 02:00, AdrianMF said:

I was going to scribe the bomb bay doors but the plastic is very hard and difficult to scribe, my scribing sucks at the best of times, and the raised detail that I was following was wrong anyway.Ā So I thought I might as well cut themĀ out and have an open bomb bay:

IMG_5259.jpg

Ā 

I've given the inside bits a coat of off white, and I've got some bomb bay door hinges to make. I will file some slots in the edge of the bay to simulate the recessed hinges that let the doors slide up the fuselage. As you can see, I have also modified the kit main undercarriage a bit.

Ā 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Superb!!!Great work!

• Thanks 1