The other Tim's Italeri 1/48 F111F Aardvark - 48TFW, RAF Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, Libya, April 1986

Tim Moff

Im also in with this kit. Have some decals via the excellent Afterburner Lakenheath Varksand various bits Ive picked up.

This will also be modeled in flight as per the raid (just need 2 more erstwhile 1/48 USAFE 1980s crew figures - there must be hundreds sat unused on sprues in spares boxes!).

Photobox is down so will add my own pics later.

it_2689_title.jpg

AB%20Varks%20Sheet%201.jpg

4_fs.jpg

operation-eldorado-canyon-large-56a61c49

220px-Il-76_destroyed_Operation_El_Dorad

DJ09_A-B%20Main.jpg

operationeldoradocanyon.jpg

http://theaviationgeekclub.com/operation-el-dorado-canyon-the-long-range-f-111-strike-mission-that-destroyed-gaddafi-terrorist-training-camps-utm_mediumsocialutm_campaignagcutm_sourcetheaviationgeekclub-com/

On the night of April 14-15, 1986, the U.S.Air Force undertook its first combat since Vietnam and first from Great Britain since WWII. Twenty-four F-111F Aardvarks (including six spares) launched from Lakenheath, supported by five EF-111A Raven electronic jamming planes from Upper Heyford, nineteen KC-10A Extenders and 10 KC-135 Stratotankers. 

Having been bought up in Lakenheath and at home on leave the night of the raid, thinking WW3 had broken out, this can be part of my USAFE memories project as well....hopefully

the 'twin' EF model build will go ahead concurrently!

I am no detail builder but may use some of the aftermarket cockpit, but mainly the Pave Tac pod and ECM Pod.

Will decide which aircraft to model later, various aircraft interest me from various accounts of the raid - which in reality was not over successful, but an amazing feat of planning and airmanship. Its likely it will be a GBU armed aircraft, the Revel F15E may come into the stash to assist - I can't seem to find any reasonably priced correct MK82 AIR BSU-49 bombs - 12 of which were carried. The decals when cut up should allow most of the aircraft flown to be depicted.

Sadly one F-111F, tail number 70-2389, Radio Call Sign "KARMA 52" was the only aircraft lost that night. This F-111F was piloted by Major Fernando Ribas Dominici (AC) and Capt. Paul Lorence (WSO). 

Pilots who flew on the mission reported seeing a fireball fall into the sea during the raid, and in the light of a lack of any other evidence, the USAF concluded that the plane was lost to a SAM or AAA. After years of denying that they had the bodies of the two crew members, the Libyan authorities returned the remains of Fernando on request from the Pope. He was identified by dental records. Paul Lorence has never been returned. 

I have various reference books to help.

Anyone who has more info (or spare pilots!) it would be welcome - as most know I enjoy the research as much as the build and this mission was part of my life, as was RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall and various other bases in East Anglia.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

That decal sheet is a thing of beauty , shame to chop it up.

A buyer or a builder? :devil:

I 'd say this project is certainly worthy to cut it up!!

(I am missing Afterburner Decals by the way! Great reseach and wonderful decals... and an entertaining read on the forums back then...)

Crew figures? Maybe PJ productions have what you are searching for! The cockpit is quite visible with this large and clear windows!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard Tim or your double build. It's great to see a double build like this of aircraft used in the one mission.

You always knew when an F-111 was taking off, I can say you never forgot the sound or feeling being at the end of the strip when one of these light up the burners for takeoff!!!

Good luck with both of your builds, will be great to see them together.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, exdraken said:

(I am missing Afterburner Decals by the way! Great reseach and wonderful decals... and an entertaining read on the forums back then...)

The person behind Afterburner Decals now has set up as Bullseye Model Aviation Decals.

Nice choice Tim, hope that all goes well. With all these USAFE F-111s that you are building have you seen the At Doc book on the subject?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

Is this the Academy kit reboxed?

Yes it is - with some added bits. So effectively building 2 of the Same kits!

14 hours ago, Jabba said:

The person behind Afterburner Decals now has set up as Bullseye Model Aviation 

Yeah.... thanks for the remider!

But just googled at  otwd that they actually released their stuff and that te are still going...

Difficult to get though!

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah.... thanks for the remider!

But just googled at  otwd that they actually released their stuff and that te are still going...

Difficult to get though!

Although in USA Sprue Brothers sell the Bullseye Model Aviation decals and still have some of the Afterburner stuff. I got their VFA-81 Sunliners sheet a few weeks ago and very impressive it is.

Got some interior grey on and started painting seats etc...slow start but hopefully gaining some momentum!

C91BE4FB-0F76-4436-ADE4-D9AF5750C88C_zps

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got some paint on the Vark, due to 2 deployments to Kabul and Myanmar, its clear I wont make the deadline - will crack on after

Built up the cam using Mr paint over a black base, with a mix of black/Nato black for under the wings.

7D1B400B-9799-4084-8231-B50CF4EB5C24_zps

71F38602-045A-4A5E-BDBA-1ADAD48C4AA1_zps

9FCD8270-30A4-4305-BEDC-7DA738F317B6_zps

4EA9C473-417B-40E2-BC2F-848F95C0DE3C_zps

DF4EAE99-4976-46E2-9086-D20500B502F3_zps

FEA6FECA-E576-49CA-B348-A06A0D39D044_zps

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice paint work !

Where did you source these Gbu-10s from? Hadegawa?

By some freak of nature a Revell F15E appeared with the postman!

Will build it in the F15 STGB.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving on!

pP2wte5.jpg

0I0TbnC.jpg

sjtJNBK.jpg

tD7WfxR.jpg

UakOtqK.jpg

Dry fit - fight with the fuse!

f5Q1nPw.jpg

LdKgFnD.jpg

YF4Nryi.jpg

Anyone got a spare GBU10 lurking in the spares box? I seem to have lost one which is a pain. Will give your bomb a good home!

9MYx5vU.jpg

Ge1Rfr0.jpg?1

6nruAox.jpg?1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still going - had a big fight with the 2 fuses - bit of a gluey mess, just gonna do the best I can now!

Had to use liquid CA to fill the large gap.

ZKM5TM9.jpg

Io08gCs.jpg

bhpGghM.jpg

Y2hREJh.jpg

5AG7mkK.jpg

keoO8lR.jpg

CdsfnAR.jpg

HQzvjZ5.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

Using the rain as an excuse to get some spraying done!!

KWmd8dK.jpg

yBBtEON.jpg

XZMdsd8.jpg

xAZHFLO.jpg

Some touching up to do but pretty happy with Mr Paint. The Afterburner guide seems to have missed out a brown area on the port upper side behind the capsule, so will add. In fact the colour laydown is contradicted in other decal and instruction views, but it looks fine and similar to the references.

She will be marked up as 'JEWEL 63' F111F 74-0177 of 494TFS that attacked the training pool/commando boats during the raid. The aircraft has some history and is now in fact at the Cosford museum.