"SepiaSpit": A small practice piece

upnorth

Hello all,

I've been working on and off on this one for the past few months and I've decided to call it done.

Admittedly, it's not the greatest rendition of a Spitfire the world has ever seen. I did it primarily as a practice piece to get back into the feel of working with inks, which I have not worked with in a very long time though used to regularly. I also used it to practice working in a monotone style.

I'm reasonably pleased with it as an exercise considering how long it's been since I've worked routinely with ink as a primary medium.

It's on paper and about 90% ink with touches of acrylic paint and coloured pencil in the mix. It takes up the bulk of an A4 sheet of paper:

2ke4ab7.jpg

For comparison, here's a photo I took of a Spitfire that I used as a basis for the piece:

gAmwKzs.jpg

Any and all comments are welcomed.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I like you spit here and I like your monotone style, is it water colours? If so it's a dam tricky and unforgiving medium. It doesn't allow a single error. I little tip to help with the perspective, is to mirror your image and check your trouble areas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

Nils: My primary medium was drawing inks, just as unforgiving as watercolours in many ways.

Gorbygould:

Not sure about my next subject, but it probably won't be aviation related. I have a picture I took of a pair of perching kingfishers during a river boat ride not so long ago. The photograph is just shy of presentable, but I thought it might makea good basis to do some artwork around.

• Like 1