Hi chaps. 

Must practice my powers of confusion and obfuscation. T'was too easy to guess. 

2017-05-14_08-29-23

Time to start another build. Must get round to finishing ed too.

Yet again, I'm opening a whole can of whup bottom here,as I tackle another vinyl re-pop kit.

Personally I blame @Hunter Rose, as his recent scarlet spider build has tempted me back to the dark side!

This kit though, unlike Ed-209, is a good moulding and is of a much higher quality. The pic above is very reminiscent of the scene in robocop 2, where Murphy is returned to the detroit police in bits, by cain.

You can see, as all I've done is washed the parts, there is very little excess vinyl to trim.

First task, is some clean up, and assembly as the legs seem to be leaning forward a bit, and might require some adjustments. 

After that, it's time to fill his boots, with plaster of paris. 

Laters.

Matt

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Thats the spirit! I would love to get my hands on another Tsukuda Hobby ABC War Robot but they are crazy rare.

On topic i look forward to seeing what you do Matt, im a huge Robocop fan!

There are re pops available, but the quality might be questionable. 

I fancied the horizon version myself, but never got one.

Matt

Yeah but thats one of the ones that is really bad in the re pop world, the quality is awful. I have actually built a Horizon one a few years ago when I first joined here, and I sold it, which I actually regret a bit now and would love to do another one.

The quality compared to the re pop was chalk and cheese, it was so amazingly sharp with zero clean up, so yeah just a warning dont get the repop of this one if you fancy it, its practically unbuildable to decent level of quality.

• Like 1

WOW hunter!

That abc warrior is amazing!!

Thanks for the tip of avoiding the re pop, as much as I'd like an abc warrior, I think I'll give it a miss. 

Hope to post an update later, as I'm currently stuck at work till 10pm.

Lots if trimming and fitting going on. 

Matt

• Like 1

I must admit, this kit does seem to be a better quality. There is some minor distortion of the larger parts, but nothing major. The surface of the vinyl is pretty smooth, and there are minimal pin holes.

Also the head sculpt of peter weller is pretty good, although he looks a bit pinched face.

You'll have to post some head close ups, they look promising in the pile of parts.

Cool that you get two - you could do the spare up as a bust?

If you're looking for the ABC Warrior it was also released in Japan by Tsukuda who I believe moulded it for Halcyon. You might get more hits that way.

I found one eventually after seeing Hunter's build, it was expensive for a vinyl kit but huge and not that expensive compared to resin.

Will

• Like 1

D'oh just realised I referred to mine as Horizon when it was Tsukuda! :mental:

Possibly a dumb question because I highly doubt it, but do any companies actually still make vinyl kits? For all the hell they can be I always really really enjoy vinyl builds.

• Like 1

I don't *think* so? It all seems to be resin these days.

Apart from my varnish stupidity I like vinyl too. And it's still moderately cheap to find OOP kits on eBay.

Will

• Like 1

There are plenty of companies supplying vinyl kits on the net, but from what I can gather most are cheap re pops. Or in the case of my Ed-209,  rather expensive re pops. 

Ask and ye shall receive. 

2017-05-16_12-13-342017-05-16_12-14-44

Had a hell of a game trying to get my camera phone to take these shots. The white vinyl sends it loopy.

The top of the unmasked head is a bit rough, it looks like it might have stuck in the mould a bit.

The helmeted head is better, but the front profile, when viewed from above, looks rather tapered and pointy.

I always thought his helmet was rather rounded. Must watch the film again. 

Might track it down on blu ray.

Matt

• Like 1

Think I found a still, from the film, that they might gave took the head sculpt from.....

images-82017-05-16_12-13-34

Pretty close I think. It's going to be fun to try and replicate. I've had zero experience painting faces.

I might try and make the two heads interchangeable,  that should be fun.

Matt

Hello there. 

Seems I'm slacking a bit, 21 replies and no actual work done!

Time to remedy that.

2017-05-18_04-12-23

Here are his lower legs, at start of play. As you can see, although they are handed left and right, they both have an identical lean to the left. They also had an alarming tilt forward, and the feet are far from flat.

2017-05-18_04-23-172017-05-18_04-22-50

After a bit of hairdryer action, I've cured the lean to the left, and got them more vertical. I've given them a slight inward tilt, as that's how real legs are.

I find that the vinyl tends to have a bit of a "memory".  I've reshaped parts before, and if you leave them overnight, they tend to go back to the original shape.

So to this end, I got straight onto the next step straight away. Time to get plastered!

2017-05-18_04-47-442017-05-18_04-47-59

Here they are, propped upright, and filled with plaster. I've tried to get them as full as possible, I kept poking a stirrer down the calf, to prevent any trapped air forming voids. Hopefully the plaster will set before they have a chance to return back to their original shape.

2017-05-18_04-57-302017-05-18_04-57-502017-05-18_04-58-062017-05-18_04-58-22

I've fitted his hands to his respective arms. They are rather gappy at the moment, and the gauntlet profile doesn't match the rest of the forearms too well. Can see a fair bit of fettling, filling and sanding is going to be needed here.

On a side note, has anyone tried re-scribing vinyl? Is it possible?  Some of the panel lines, and surface detail is a bit vague. Would definitely benefit from some additional work.

Hope the next update won't take so long to arrive. 

Matt

• Like 1

16 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

On a side note, has anyone tried re-scribing vinyl? Is it possible?  Some of the panel lines, and surface detail is a bit vague.

Hmm ive never tried it (seems i

Always covering stuff up on vinyl!) But i woud say youd probably have to use a scalpel and cut a v shaped trench, as a scribe tool wouldn't work, vinyls just too damn soft even when its cold.