Airfix 08002 Lancaster 1/72

The aircraft is based on a photograph and a conversion with the pilot at a reunion some time back.

Sgt Edgar Pickles (RAAF) flew this aircraft, W4999, from Waltham Grimsby in June 1943 and that is the period I have depicted.

It belonged to 'C' Flt. of 100 Squadron but later its codes changed to HW-X.

34448138281_92d5599ced_z.jpg

34448137941_d46588b254_z.jpg

33735539204_96acdf4d44_z.jpg

33735543954_609141db2f_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 56

Very nice "Lanc" great work.

Guy

• Like 1

Lovely work, really looks the part and I do like the scene and photography as well - presume it was under lights rather than pale Mancunian sun? Lovely bright summer's day in 1943 anyway.

I presume also that you had a chat with the pilot rather than an epiphany - heh heh! and did he explain why he was running the engines so lean?

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

That looks to be a nice build - always like a well built Lancaster and I really like the photos. Were you patient enough to cut out the fuselage windows? I made this kit a few years ago doing LM550 from 166 Squadron and am plugging away at another one to portray LM378 from 619 - will post it some time this century!

What intrigues me however is the reference you've used in you WiP. Looks like the sort of illustrations by David Howley you might find in Scale Aircraft Modelling, but looks to be dedicated to 100 Squadron. Can you tell me more about it please?

Cheers, Matt

• Like 1

In response to some of the questions.

Horatio : Mancunian sunshine that moved over to Lincolnshire:rofl: I now live here and as it was a glorious day I took the 3 ladies out to photograph them in the natural light and with a beautiful background. Here is the set-up  . . .

26317453426_d365a15298_z.jpg

Bombernut : a slight cheat (?) i simply pencil the windows into create that reflective look. Even on the actual aircraft you cannot see into the fuselage but there is a kinda reflection.

As to the reference in the WIP, you are so correct. The late David Howley produced at least 30 such profiles for me when I commissioned them for my second book. I have numerous photos of 100 Sqdn Lancs and all the artwork was meticulously researched to have them as accurate as possibly covering the 2 year period of operations

100 Sqdn. I am always pleased to hear from relatives whose father/grandfather/ mother etc served on the squadron. W4999 served with the squadron until October 1943 (28 Ops completed by that date) when she was then transferred to 625 at kelstern. 625 was formed from 'C' flt and 12 other aircraft and crews went to the new station.

Thanks again gents for your generous comments and for looking in

regards

Ian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

In response to some of the questions.

Horatio : Mancunian sunshine that moved over to Lincolnshire:rofl: I now live here and as it was a glorious day I took the 3 ladies out to photograph them in the natural light and with a beautiful background. Here is the set-up  . . .

26317453426_d365a15298_z.jpg

Bombernut : a slight cheat (?) i simply pencil the windows into create that reflective look. Even on the actual aircraft you cannot see into the fuselage but there is a kinda reflection.

As to the reference in the WIP, you are so correct. The late David Howley produced at least 30 such profiles for me when I commissioned them for my second book. I have numerous photos of 100 Sqdn Lancs and all the artwork was meticulously researched to have them as accurate as possibly covering the 2 year period of operations

100 Sqdn. I am always pleased to hear from relatives whose father/grandfather/ mother etc served on the squadron. W4999 served with the squadron until October 1943 (28 Ops completed by that date) when she was then transferred to 625 at kelstern. 625 was formed from 'C' flt and 12 other aircraft and crews went to the new station.

Thanks again gents for your generous comments and for looking in

regards

Ian

Hello again Ian,

Like the way you provide a setting for your photos. Bit hard to do that in Canberra - at least for a Lincolnshire backdrop! I thought the pictures were David Howley (sorry to read that he's passed away), and so begs the question, what was your book named and where can I get a copy?

Cheers, Matt

Matt

The 2 books . . .

17073168449_9b81955210_z.jpg

sadly out of print and extremely hard to get from the 2nd hand market

some of the other artworks by David Howley

34552531871_f71bf25d8b_z.jpg

and another photo taking in a similar vein (another Airfix 08002

26920920996_247c3bd8ec_z.jpg

thanks for the interest

rgds

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

Sorry, I haven't been online for several days. Many thanks for the information on the books. I'll look out for them in the hope of snaffling them one day.

Your user name reminds me to pass on my condolences to all our English friends for the outrage in Manchester. I am deeply saddened by a world where a group of extremists consider the indiscriminate slaying of children a victory.

All the best ,

Matt

• Like 3