1/32 Salmson 2-A2. Wingnut Wings

Evening all, I hope you're all well.

Here's the second of the 2 WnW kits that my wife bought me for last Christmas.......lovely lady !

It's a Salmson 2-A2 of SAL61..........apparently.  I'm going to be perfectly honest and admit that I'd never heard of this aircraft type before and I only chose this scheme because I liked the look of the cat-like animal thing on the fuselage.  My wife bought it thinking it was British; and so naturally I seized the opportunity to pick up a proper Brit aircraft; and therefore I'll be building a DH.9a next. :thumbsup:

The kit is up to the quality we've come to expect from the Wingnut team, and yet I still manged to make a meal of things lol.

The most dramatic of which was having my paint rack fall over and bury it under dozens of Tamiya paint pots.  Nothing was broken on the Salmson, but a nearly full bottle of Alclad white primer had smashed and splattered paint over the model and everything else including workbench, new shoes and carpet.  The Salmson got a full respray after that.  The LH lower aileron has been reattached about 6 times, and the LH side of the tailplane about 5. 

I took the plunge and bought myself a pot of CA kicker and wow that made the rigging so, so much easier.

Anyway on to the photos, I hope you like them:

Cheers

Gaz

20170513_192125_zpspehcaa96.jpg

20170513_192007_zpssf5pw1ld.jpg

20170513_183843-2_zps7jpfvizl.jpg

20170513_192156_zpshzqji5sq.jpg

20170513_192703_zpsd6xqkmwq.jpg

Rigging was courtesy of E Z Line, and some bait tying elastic I found in the fishing section of our local Red Shed. They're both fantastic to work with, although I do have some medical tweezers used for removing stitches to help with the task, they're very narrow.

20170513_192230_zpsfvsoimqd.jpg

20170513_192304_zpssucwp10g.jpg

20170513_192614_zpsloqfhflp.jpg

I used a matt coat to highlight the wing and tail structure between the ribs.

20170513_192741_zpstylguigw.jpg

20170513_202840_zpspqmrhtv6.jpg

Underneath I masked the ribs and spars and gave the area a light coat of Tamiya smoke to give the illusion of seeing them through the linen. I saw that trick elsewhere on this site...thanks.

TTFN :bye:

• Like 27

Got to agree with everyone else, that is a total stunner, and absolute beauty. Great kits aren't they?

Well recovered from the paint accident too, you'd never know it had happened.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Morning everyone.  Thanks for your comments and feedback :smile:

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hello Gaz

What a cracker, tell me if you will, what do you use to apply you CA zapper, when I use it on small areas I usually end up sticking the implement too ?

Gary

Hi Gary.  This is what I came up with eventually, there may be other/better ways out there. I decant a small amount of kicker into a small open pot and use a small paint brush (3/0 ?).  So I grab the E Z line in the tweezers about 3mm from the end and dab it into a blob of CA a few times until you can see then CA build up a layer on the end last 1mm or so of the elastic.  Then I get my brush with me free hand and load it with kicker.  Place the E Z Line where I want it and the touch the area of the model next to it with the bush, close but not touching.  The Kicker spreads out on the surface and will activated the CA when it reaches it.  Hold the elastic for a few seconds just to be sure, and then blow gently to evaporate any excess kicker.  I use acrylics and I haven't had any problems unless I had to re-do the same area a couple of times when I think the plastic underneath got a bit soft. It works maybe 9 times out of 10. I clean the brush in MEK or acetone and post it back to normal duties when finished.

As an aside I do all this in my spray booth while wearing a half face respirator.  I've developed a bad reaction to CA that can put me out of action for a day and a half usually, and I also suffer chemically induced hearing loss. Might be too late for me but hey.....it's smelly stuff anyway.

I hope that all makes sense  :D

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Lovely model.  I have built the DH-9A, you will like it.  I did spend a long time building it mostly just because I was afraid I would make a hash of it.

• Like 1

Really nice and an attractive model. Good recovery from potential disaster too. The complex nature of the front end of this beast has probably discouraged model manufacturers before but WNW have aced it.

Cheers

GrahamB

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Lovely model.  I have built the DH-9A, you will like it.  I did spend a long time building it mostly just because I was afraid I would make a hash of it.

Thanks. I know what you mean, I tend to spend ages mulling over the sequence of a build so that I don't end up with a near impossible task at some point along the track, or having to mess up something I took ages to get right......at some point I have to tell myself to just get on with it .  That seems to do the trick :smile:

9 hours ago, GrahamB said:

Really nice and an attractive model. Good recovery from potential disaster too. The complex nature of the front end of this beast has probably discouraged model manufacturers before but WNW have aced it.

Cheers

GrahamB

Thanks Graham.  Agreed, I can imagine one of the design team taking on the challenge and determined to get the double punched engine cowls just perfect with real holes and not just representations.  But that's what we've come to expect from these guys aye ! Quality :smile:

8 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That is a lovely build, well done, and thanks for the tips on CA/kicker use.

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Yes it does and thanks.

Gary

No worries ! :smile:

Thanks for the heads up and encouragement for the Ninak. No-one hold your breath for it though......slow and stead for me.

Cheers

Gaz

These modelling accidents can be pretty infuriating but this one has still come out looking wonderful. 

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Just flat-out Superb. Beautiful looking model you have made (though I've never heard of the type either)  and that paint disaster sounded pretty drastic- no evidence at all.

Thanks for posting.     Dave

• Like 1

Lovely to see kits built this good. Always exciting to see a Wingnut Wings kit on here. Love the red and white, looks complicated.

Thanks for the tip about the CA and kicker. 

Edited by Martin Ford
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, thanks again for your comments.

14 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Nice model!

I will build this one day too, but in 1/48 with the kit from Gaspatch. Apropos Gaspatch, I can recommend those turnbuckles!

Regards,

Bughunter

Hi Bughunter.

Yeah, I've seen those turnbuckles on your builds e.g. that lovely Pfalz you posted the other day.  There's no doubt they add a little something special but I'm not sure that I have that extra bit of time and patience to stretch to those.  You really are tempting me though......I'll have a think over the next couple of days. :hmmm:

Cheers

Gaz :)

Beautiful job, even taking the mishaps into account! I have a 1:72 version to be built someday, it's a pretty aircraft.....

Ian

• Like 1