Airfix 1/72 J8a Gladiator

Done and dusted on one of the most complicated rigging jobs I've yet attempted!

This kit is built out of the box, with he only modification being a new sliding canopy piece, as the kit piece for the open canopy wasn't very convincing.  I've kept the weathering fairly light on this one, as it only operated in this paint scheme for a few months, during which any mud and dust was covered by snow.

33816908643_159efbda6c_o.jpg

33783809024_cee0ba7ba3_o.jpg

33783808884_542e971f96_o.jpg

33816908473_888e43d3bd_o.jpg

33783808284_ff2ba6eb3d_o.jpg

33783808714_73926534ef_o.jpg

33783809244_dd0e7e2ef3_o.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Beggsy out.

• Like 38

No-one has made a comment yet so I'm in to help a fellow Orestrayen ( even if you are from south of the border! heh heh) That looks really nice and it is great to see a different scheme for a change. The rigging looks nice and taut - presume you used clear HSS? The exposed upper cylinders also lend interest.

Very nice Beggsy. I enjoyed your WPI, some interesting info re colour schemes in there that I hope to apply when I get around to my one of these. I'll be rapt if I can get it looking as good as yours.

Steve.

Thanks all for your kind comments!  This was was good fun to build, once I was finally happy with the colours!

On 5/14/2017 at 9:57 PM, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

The rigging looks nice and taut - presume you used clear HSS?

Nope, I've got no idea what HSS is!  I used electrical wire from a piece of pre-tinned cable.  I un-raveled individual strands, and then quickly rolled them back and forth under a metal ruler to get them dead straight, then cut them to length (well, cut, test, cut, test, cut, test........).  I like this method as it doesn't involve having to drill holes all the way through the wings, then having to re-paint the opposite sides of the wings once the thread is cut off.  It also gives a very nice glint when the light catches it correctly.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:04 PM, stevehnz said:

I enjoyed your WPI, some interesting info re colour schemes in there that I hope to apply when I get around to my one of these. I'll be rapt if I can get it looking as good as yours.

Thank you!  Let me know if there's any advice I can give or information I didn't share in the WIP that you're after.

• Like 1

I did the green and blue first, then the aluminium over the top of both (just like the real thing).  It was all painted with Tamiya acrylics.  I got the camo pattern using blue tack for masking

Glad you like it!.

Hi Beggsy,

Didn't realise you lived in my part of the world until I read your reply. Thanks mate. :thanks:

I usually use enamels but I think I'll give the acrylics a go.

It's been a "hit and miss" affair with the so-called new Humbrols. I like Testors Model Master enamels but they're too expensive for me at present.The BluTack trick is a really good one .I've used it a few times.

Cheers.:thumbsup: