Zvezda Bf 109 F2 *Finished*

Hi,

While Im waiting on my bits for my Emil build to arrive I waded through the stash and dug out Zvezda's nice Fredrich kit..

I also have the Monogram book on the F model more by good fortune than good judgement..

resized_19287aa1-ab33-48a1-961f-e9a0b04b

Both the book and the kit give details/ decals for Hannes Trautlofts Aircraft from JG-54 so I'll probably run with that.. The monogram book mentions an experimental colour scheme for the Aircraft... 

The kit is un-started and I'll build it OOB with maybe a few minor tweaks.

resized_6706e2ca-2745-4b79-b51b-d00efdbd 

It also features a full engine which I quite like so I think I'll have a go at doing it with the cowls open...

I'll make a start and see where we end up...

Cheers

Plasto

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 9

Thanks for the interest in my build.

So I made a start... a pleasant couple of hours has gotten the engine,firewall, cockpit and lower wing assemblies well on the way...

I also added the tail parts to the fuselage halves. 

resized_14372623-eb04-47e1-b3b4-346a42a5

The kit kit is nicely detailed and fit so far has been very very good..

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 8

Tomorrow I am getting my first HobbyBoss easy build kit. I just need to see for myself what one can achieve with these kits.

The next one in a couple of months, will either be the Zvezda 109F, or FW 190 A-4. I suspect that they'll be just as easy to build and a lot more detailed.

So I will follow this build of yours with the greatest interest!

JR

Hi Jean,

Will that that be the Hobbyboss 1/48 Bf109-f?? I Built the 1/48 Mustang and enjoyed it... 

This Zvezda kit has been reasonably straightforward so far.

cheers Plasto

Thanks...

I added a Bit of paint...

resized_c4e628ac-53dc-4725-987b-8d17d140

Engine serial is is a repurposed tank serial number. l need to track down a decal for the top of the crank case cover...

Edited by Plasto
  • Like 5

The serial number is a great touch. I am indecisive as to put one on my build, mainly because I don't think I have any suitable decals in the spares bin. Some pictures I have seen with serial numbers, some not. But after looking at how your engine turned out with the numbers, I think I shall source harder. Hope you don't mind me ripping off borrowing your look?

Ha great minds think alike...

Plasmos engine painting tutorial on YT is worth watching..

I had a go at mking some seat belts last night but while they were ok for a closed canopy build they are in need of a lift for canopy open. So I have ordered some PE belts from Lions Roar...

28fc969a-107b-42fe-8ea3-3fd93813e18a.JPG

Ive not used any PE from them before but the set was good value and it's not pre painted which I prefer to the 'zoom' style sets...

I suspect with post they will take a week to arrive so I'll put the F on hold as I need the belts to finish the cockpit... however my resin bits off my Emil build have arrived from Ultracast so I can make a start on that...

cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 6:07 AM, Plasto said:

Hi Jean,

Will that that be the Hobbyboss 1/48 Bf109-f?? I Built the 1/48 Mustang and enjoyed it... 

This Zvezda kit has been reasonably straightforward so far.

cheers Plasto

Hi Plasto,

I really like the whole concept of this kind of kits, and your engine will look smashing.

No, I have picked up the D 520 in HB Easy KIts. Nothing to do with Messerschmitt, but it is the first "easy kit" I am looking at. Then it will be a 1/72 Zvezda to compare the two. I believe Zvezda will come on top.

Is your 109 a 1/48 or 1/72 kit?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Plasto said:

Ha great minds think alike...

Plasmos engine painting tutorial on YT is worth watching..

cheers

Plasto

Thanks for the link to Plasmos' engine painting tutorial. It was really helpful. It is amazing how he can so effortlessly pick out details with a paintbrush. Also, it is really scary how well he uses a hypodermic needle to open up gun barrels. I would never try that myself as the only result would be a trip to the emergency room to get sewn up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Thanks for the link to Plasmos' engine painting tutorial. It was really helpful. It is amazing how he can so effortlessly pick out details with a paintbrush. Also, it is really scary how well he uses a hypodermic needle to open up gun barrels. I would never try that myself as the only result would be a trip to the emergency room to get sewn up. 

Yes he's by far my favourite YT 'modeller' mainly because it gets on with it. The camera work is good and he keeps the chatter to a minimum and when he does speak he can deliver interesting commentary and varies the tone of his voice even when English is his second language...

cheers

Plasto...

Progress with the 'F'

Cockpit and engine fitted.

resized_8d1199b5-3a55-45c9-859e-e794455b

One of our LHS had some Eduard Steel belts so I met with these to keep the build on track..

resized_11683a96-1890-4821-bbfd-f1d6ab54

seams are also on the way to being sorted. The wing assembly to the fuselage needed some careful assembly. It's possible to get a neat fit but I needed to glue up in stages and use a spreader to get a really good fit. It needed a touch of surfacer  on one wing root and a join line underneath.

Nothing major....

IP and cowl panels next...

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 6

Looking good!

It appears to be a far more comprehensive kit than the ICM kit I am building.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC

• 2 weeks later...