Magnifying visors - Opinions??

Mikehool

I am toying with the idea of purchasing one of those magnifying headsets to aid in my fine detail paintwork.  I can't seem to get on with the lens in my workspace lamp due to how I have to set it up with the workspace I have.  It gives me enough light but I find I have to keep everything too close to the lense to see properly. I know it's not my eyesight, anyway!!!

What are people's thoughts on the headsets and which ones would you recommend? 

Optivisor is good, but very expensive at £60 with one lens set.  and another £30 for each extra lens.

We have looked around at the cheaper options and find these are great for most applications:

modelcraft 5 lens magnifier set

They fit like glasses ( and can go over a lot of glasses) . There are five interchangeable lenses upto 3.5x and a twin led light.  

We have a demo set on our stand for people to try at shows.

Price is £13 a set

Ta,

Paul

Edited by little-cars
  • Like 2

I have the Modelcraft one ^ and it's one of the best investments in modelling equipment I've made. Some of the pricier magnifiers look awfully heavy and uncomfortable; mine are lightweight, magnify clearly and fit easily for extended periods without neck/head aches. Definitely recommended! :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the optivisor and the other ones, trouble is the working distance, the part your working on has to be almost under your chin to focus.

Been looking at these, they are pricey but the working distance is far better

http://www.cambridgeoptics.com/Eschenbach-MaxDENTAIL-Spectical-Vision-Aid-2X-Magnification

Don't know if anyone on here are using them. there was another thread I have mentioned them on, but no reply at the moment

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 'Fancii' headset and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

It's very light and comfortable but feels solid and durable, you have a choice of traditional spectacle type arms or elasticated head band (which means you can use it with your regular glasses if you wear them), the 5 lenses included work very well depending on what you want to magnify, the adjustable LED lights also work well to illuminate the object and minimize shadows, all in all very happy with it and for me £20 is a fair price.

It currently has 61 positive reviews on Amazon, 55 of them 5 star and the rest 4 star, zero negative reviews which must say something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fancii-Illuminated-Hands-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B01AL2YAQ6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496925830&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=fancii+led+light+helping+hands+magnifier+station

Edited by NobleSavage
typo

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2017 at 7:10 PM, colin said:

I have the optivisor and the other ones, trouble is the working distance, the part your working on has to be almost under your chin to focus.

Been looking at these, they are pricey but the working distance is far better

http://www.cambridgeoptics.com/Eschenbach-MaxDENTAIL-Spectical-Vision-Aid-2X-Magnification

Don't know if anyone on here are using them. there was another thread I have mentioned them on, but no reply at the moment

Optivisor are no different from any other magnifier or reading glasses - the higher the magnification the shorter the focal distance.  Optivsor are actually better than most because they quote the focal distances for each of their lenses the competitors don't usually bother.

You can see them on this page

http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor

Even if you aren't going with Optivisor (I accept that they are pretty expensive) then these focal ranges will pretty much hold true for any lenses from expensive stuff right down to the reading glasses from Poundlound.

I have an Optivisor with a 2.5x lens - which gives an 8" focal distance.

One thing no one has said about the Optivisor - the lenses are optical grade glass not plastic.  They do give a clearer brighter image then plastic reading glasses but then they should at that price.  I bought mine when working in the US when the you got $1.65 to the £ so I paid about £40 including an accessory set which adds the LED light, loupe and comfort band.  Even that was pricey and I would certainly find it hard to justify the UK prices.  BTW, although you can get different lenses it is not a quick slip in and go system - especially if you have the additional LED light and/or loupe - there are screws to undo.

Despite have the Optivsor and a high quality angle-poise magnifier, most of the time I just use £1 reading glasses from Poundland - just have a whole stack of sizes, more convenient and comfortable to use.

Cheers,

Nigel

First you only need I have found one lens. A 1.8 or a 2.00. That gives a distance of about 6" from your eyes to your work.

The higher the number the closer you will have to be to focus. 2.0 I found ideal after buying the others which languish in

a drawer.

Next. I had my optician make up a pair of specs which are focused closer to the subject you are working on as opposed to

reading glasses at about 12".

You are best with out the light thing on the top . They have batteries in them are heavy and you will constantly pushing them

up as they slide down with the weight.

http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headband-Loupes/High-Grade-Headband-Magnifier-non-flipup.html

A bit expensive but you will never have to replace including the lns.

These are the ones I use. They are light weight and very comfortable. The lens are optical glass and will not scratch like plastic.

being optical glass there is no distortion and they are easily better to clean and polish than plastic (how do I know ? )

They go over specs that includes the close up specs mentioned above. The lens frame is removable for cleaning. They stay

where they are when adjusted properly. They also shade your eyes from top light ie no glare. When not in use they slide back easily

They also market a pair which have the visor hinged. They are more expensive. I have these but have not used the hinge bit as it is

much easier to push back up the forehead.

You can also used them in-conjunction with a magnifier lamp if you require ultra close work.

Laurie