Takom King Tiger Pz.Abt.505

Hi Scott,

Welcome to BM, and welcome to the best forum!

You've certainly hit the ground running with one of the top model AFV's currently available. There are a few others in here that you can view in the WIP and RFI sections and they are well worth a look at for tips about painting. Obviously you can pick up tips on painting from other AFV builds as well.

My advice would be to search and read through everything that grabs your interest, then copy and practice the techniques.

You've just produced what most would call a 'clean' model, with very little in the way of weathering. Some prefer their models that way, while others prefer to produce something really beat up, dirty and worn, or something in between. You'll find your 'style' over time. 

You'll have some disasters on the way, but we all have them, so don't worry. They are part of the learning process.

Remember, you can't please everyone, so build and paint to please yourself and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

You've just produced what most would call a 'clean' model, with very little in the way of weathering. Some prefer their models that way, while others prefer to produce something really beat up, dirty and worn, or something in between. You'll find your 'style' over time. 

You'll have some disasters on the way, but we all have them, so don't worry. They are part of the learning process.

Thanks so much for the advice! I tried to use an oil wash however I'm not sure I let it dry enough to be really noticeable. Onwards and Upwards!

Scott

3 hours ago, scottbowsher said:

Thanks so much for the advice! I tried to use an oil wash however I'm not sure I let it dry enough to be really noticeable. Onwards and Upwards!

No worries Scott.

I only returned to model-making less than 2 years ago, so a lot of today's techniques were new to me. Enamels, wet-brushing and dry-brushing were all I knew! Now I use acrylics, enamels, varnishes, pigments and sometimes oils all on the same vehicle. But I didn't try to run before I could walk. I've only just started using oils. They take an age to dry, which is the main advantage, so they can be moved about or removed easily and completely if needs be. I would definitely go for learning how to apply enamel washes first though, either over enamels, or over gloss-varnished acrylics.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1