Mystery BI-1 kit

Mig Eater

Many, many years ago I bought this Russian 1/72 BI-1 kit on ebay. The seller didn't know what it was and had it listed simply as "model plane", the vague listing helped me though as I was the only bidder and got it for 99p. Since then I've tried several times to find information online but thus far I haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone recognize the manufacturer, know when it was produced and if it's an original kit or a re-box etc?

bi1_zpsqasdduoe.jpg

13 hours ago, noelh said:

Definitely in the you learn something new every day category. Talk about obscure!

Here's my photo of the real thing at Monino - in totally ficticious camouflage.....

day6_014.JPG

Ken

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Here's my photo of the real thing at Monino - in totally ficticious camouflage.....

day6_014.JPG

Hello Ken,

Even your thing is not the real thing!

It is a mock-up, made with little regard to the original aircraft.

Please note the poor representation of landing gear, canopy (thin perspex without any real framing to support it), and the skinning (the nose and tail show some ribs, which suggests it is a wooden frame skinned with fabric - just like a rigid airship! :lol: )

Same thing applies to Monino's other examples, such as their "Mig-3" (where even the shape doesn't resemble the real thing):

Mig-3 high altitude fighter

All existing Su-2 examples are also replicas, but these were made by the Sukhoi bureau using original factory drawings.

The mockup give-aways here are much harder to spot, but the canopy frames are also a bit too thin to be convincing.

Sorry for a bit of OT.

Aleksandar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warhawk said:

Even your thing is not the real thing!

It is a mock-up, made with little regard to the original aircraft.

I was wondering why it seems to have a cable holding the horizontal tail surface and no tail-wheel. Also the main wheels look more like castors for wheeling it around the museum. 

This is second edition of this kit From Russia first edition and mid 80's had a bad drawing, and in the bag .

I bought it sometime in 1985/86.

P.k