Light Ship South Goodwin

Yes I know another one you are all thinking  ;)

But while the 466 MTB is taking shape I will be making sure I take my time with it as it is my first resin kit and the high price tag means I do not want to make any mistakes :rage:

So as an in between build I have just started this old kit I have had in the storage area for some time i managed to get the PE set for it from Peter Hall at Atlantic Models

So started with the hull sides and deck and also drilled out the portholes which will be filled with glue and glaze after painting of the hull

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

Beefy

• Like 14

We all expect this one to have a flashing light. Not only that but at the correct intervals as well. No pressure or anything.

Martian

PS: While you're at it, why not do a diorama with the crew playing a game pf cricket on the Goodwin Sands?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

PS: While you're at it, why not do a diorama with the crew playing a game pf cricket on the Goodwin Sands?

My former Scout group did a sponsored canoe across the Channel many years ago, and they stopped off on the Goodwin Sands to play cricket with the lightship crew.

I will be following this Beefy, this is a model I would like to build if I can get one,

Andy

• Like 4

Will be watching this with interest, as I have this kit in my stash. 

Been put off from starting as I don't have proper set of instructions, just a badly photocopied page showing the main assembly stages, no colour call outs. Despite lots of googling, I have been unable to determine deck colour. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Gorgeous Keith, have trying to get hold of one of these for quite a while now. Time to get some pop and munchies and pull up a chair :yes:

Hope you are going to enjoy the show Julian  :penguin:

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

We all expect this one to have a flashing light. Not only that but at the correct intervals as well. No pressure or anything.

Martian

Certainly NO pressure with that request then Martian will have to try and work out the lighting format and layout  :idea:

12 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Sadly, the original was lost with some fatalities

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18280.0

my attempt went in the bin, though nothing more than pride was lost. If I ever attempt it again, I'll call it Doom Bar :drink:

Thanks for that link it will come in hand for reference Funny but I had a few pints of the rather nice Doom Bar last night  Cheers  :drink:

12 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

My former Scout group did a sponsored canoe across the Channel many years ago, and they stopped off on the Goodwin Sands to play cricket with the lightship crew.

I will be following this Beefy, this is a model I would like to build if I can get one,

Andy

I actually got this kit second hand from under a table at a show a couple of years back bargin

6 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Will be watching this with interest, as I have this kit in my stash. 

Been put off from starting as I don't have proper set of instructions, just a badly photocopied page showing the main assembly stages, no colour call outs. Despite lots of googling, I have been unable to determine deck colour. 

I think the deck color will probably be a dark green color the rest will be a bit naughty for me as red and white are not the colors I normally support being Black and White all my life    :footy:

If you need a better copy of the instructions send a PM and I will be able to scan and send them on to you 

So this has gone from an in between build to an all out diorama and cricket match with flood lights  :shrug:

beefy

• Like 3

1 minute ago, robgizlu said:

Looking forward to seeing this.  Just don't ignore the BPB job!

Rob

Will not not forget about it at all just making sure I take time to plan out the build and not make a mess of it:whistle:

beefy

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

think the deck color will probably be a dark green color the rest will be a bit naughty for me as red and white are not the colors I normally support being Black and White all my life

Paint it red and white, but only show pictures of it in black and white, problem solved :whistle:

Andy

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Aginvicta said:

If you have the crew playing my old Scout troop, we wore green and purple neckerchiefs and you'll have to make a few canoes as well. :thumbsup:

Andy

I think Beefy is in a bit of a hole now! :evil_laugh:

Martian the Mischievous

• Like 2

If the light is showing at intervals, will the time of it be in scale too? 1 second scaled to 1/110 second?

Should be an interesting build!

Ray

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 9:38 PM, Aginvicta said:

Paint it red and white, but only show pictures of it in black and white, problem solved :whistle:

Andy

That sound like a good idea  :idea:

On 5/14/2017 at 2:48 PM, clipper said:

Have the Frog version alas still sealed, but do have another kit - a different version somewhere. If I come across it, will post the instructions. Don't remember it being very comphresive though.

This review has some good views http://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/spahrtrinity.htm

Thanks for the link a lot of interesting stuff on there

This was supposed to be  bit of an in between build I can see it is going to get out of hand very quickly when Martian is around to stir things up  :shrug:

On 5/14/2017 at 6:24 PM, Aginvicta said:

If you have the crew playing my old Scout troop, we wore green and purple neckerchiefs and you'll have to make a few canoes as well. :thumbsup:

Andy

On 5/14/2017 at 6:37 PM, Martian Hale said:

I think Beefy is in a bit of a hole now! :evil_laugh:

Martian the Mischievous

And the rest of you lot are getting just as bad as he is stop encouraging him  :P

On 5/14/2017 at 8:18 PM, longshanks said:

and the tides coming in.......

Kev

On 5/14/2017 at 9:23 PM, Aginvicta said:

and there are still 15 runs required with 2 overs remaining and only 1 wicket left. :frantic:

Andy

On 5/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, richellis said:

I'll be watching this build, would like to build one after a fun evening in/on the planet bar in Liverpool a couple of years ago 🍺

On 5/15/2017 at 7:14 PM, Ray S said:

If the light is showing at intervals, will the time of it be in scale too? 1 second scaled to 1/110 second?

Should be an interesting build!

Ray

Only a small update on the hull work filling and sanding the join lines will have to use some Archer decal rivets for the ones I have lost

and before anyone says it NO I,am not counting them  :book:

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

beefy

• Like 11

21 hours ago, beefy66 said:

And the rest of you lot are getting just as bad as he is stop encouraging him  :P

Sorry Beefy.

I Must Not Encourage Martian, 100 times :D

Andy, sitting on the naughty step

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Aginvicta said:

Sorry Beefy.

I Must Not Encourage Martian, 100 times :D

Andy, sitting on the naughty step

In long hand, not using cut and paste!

Martian

• Like 1

Going to follow this beefy.  Built the Frog version years ago .  A couple of years go, I got an obscure Polish boxing of the kit, with the vessel moored in what would appear to be the Norwegian Fjords !  Also no decals (South Goodwin) included in the box.  After enquiring with seller, he stated " It says on box that decals arent included'  Well everything on the box is in Polish, and even with help of a translator, it says nothing about decals not being included !  Anyway, managed to  get the Eastern Express boxing subsequently, with decals.  Got the Atlantic Models P/E as well ... :)

BillyD

• Like 1