Light Ship South Goodwin

Now young Beefy - there was that BPBCo boat that got started if I'm not very much mistaken!!!;)

The lightship looks grand.  It's going to need some weathering soon.

Rob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates on here lads but I,am enjoying the sun in Tenerife for another week then will have to get myself motivated on this project again 

beefy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, robgizlu said:

Now young Beefy - there was that BPBCo boat that got started if I'm not very much mistaken!!!;)

The lightship looks grand.  It's going to need some weathering soon.

Rob

Sorry Rob but i have not forgotten about the BPBCo 466 Boat just got a bit to involved with this build which was supposed to be the in between build  :whistle: will get onto that when this is done I promise  :rage:

Now for the weathering after my Jollys and the back to work blues are slowly going away  :rain:

IMG_4369.jpg 

I will be using a mix of the Rust Wizard set from Life Color and some home made oil washes first coat the Burnt Sienna

Looking at some reference photos I do not want the weathering to heavy so will keep the washes very thin and just pick out some specific areas

IMG_4370.jpg

Will be building up the weathering just small bits at a time until I can get my Mojo  (Backside) back into gear  B)

beefy

• Like 8

Well have sort of got back into the normal routine after the long distant memory of my holidays and catching up with GOT  :king:

I have now completed all the parts build and will be starting on the rigging and masts which I have have had some trouble with

This being an old kit the top part of both masts have had to be replaced and I have had to try and straighten them because of a bit of distortion like the shape of a skinny Banana

So all the light fittings and small bits are glued in place now but the masts are still not secured for now

IMG_4371.jpg 

IMG_4372.jpg

Weathering still has some more work to go with small amounts of pin washes but still just trying to keep it on the subtle side and not over do it

beefy

• Like 13

Thanks lads for the support and thanks for the rigging advice on this

This is what I,am going with so far but can change if it looks wrong went with the Coastal Craft Rigging eyelets as the anchor points and used some thread left over from another build this will be painted to stop it looking fuzzy I hope  :think:

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

Also used some fine copper wire for the Anchor handling rigging

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

And added the Davids rigging which was the last part from the Atlantic PE set

beefy

• Like 11

Beefy - take a look at ...Bobs Buckles  which are a whole lot smaller than the Coastal craft eyelets.

Rather than use thread - consider this https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/  it's ten times easier to fit being elastic, it doesn't break if you accidentally catch it and it's far closer in scale size.

One Bobbin will last a long time.  

And forgive the intrusion

Rob

(The davits look great)

• Like 1

Looking great mate. Hoping to pop in tonight depending on what time I get away from the land of the sweaty and the six and a half hour drive down :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 10:18 PM, robgizlu said:

Beefy - take a look at ...Bobs Buckles  which are a whole lot smaller than the Coastal craft eyelets.

Rather than use thread - consider this https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/  it's ten times easier to fit being elastic, it doesn't break if you accidentally catch it and it's far closer in scale size.

One Bobbin will last a long time.  

And forgive the intrusion

Rob

(The davits look great)

Hi Rob thanks for the advice will have to get myself some of those buckles I already have some of the Uschi thread I use for the smaller scale builds but I have used some on this to represent the smaller aerial wires that go between the masts and the light tower

all rigging done now as my reference photos show the mast lines being quite thick so went with the thread idea

The build is complete now so will be making a start on the seascape soon

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4383.jpg

beefy

• Like 22

Well nearly there bit of a rush job on the base the clear coat is still drying out and a few minor things to touch up but it still looked OK on the club stand at the Driffield show yesterday.

IMG_4387.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

beefy

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, longshanks said:

I reckon the light should be on

Funny but someone said that at the show yesterday but my missus reckons there has been no light on with me for while  :think:

Not quite sure what she meant by that

• Haha 3