Light Ship South Goodwin

The shape of the centre chain looks the most realistic to me if you could twist each link a bit more. The r/hand one looks way oversize and the left one's links don't look right, but if they were all painted the same colour it would be easier to judge.

Andy

• Like 2

Hi Kev I have been reading this on line trying to get some ideas about this ship a very tragic time for those brave men and the family's of those that lost their lives trying to protect others that use the seas around this Island of ours  :poppy:

I have decided after a discussion at the local model club with friends last night to go with the one on the left in the photo previous

I will give this a coat of black primer and see how it looks but looking at photos of other lightships this is not far off

In answer to your previous question the kit is in 1/110 scale near enough N gauge I have been told and there are no anchor handling facilities at the stern but there are 3 at the bow not sure of her displacement I need to look harder for that 

But I have been on night's this week and it is not the best time to try and get the old grey matter going  :sleepy:

Will get some sleep now it is cooler and try and look at getting the information later today

beefy

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

a very tragic time for those brave men and the family's

Respect to these guys, stuck on a vessel with others bearing down. There have been a number of close calls.

Don't worry about the rest of the details buddy, just trying to get some ideas viz anchor chain size. Flat black should be good for chain, the crew were there to maintain the ship so I doubt it would be really grungy.

Looking at the pic I would guess the centre lead would be an emergency anchor. Three chains out would lead to some heavy duty knitting :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 1

The second clip is the most interesting Andy, I was wondering what sort of anchor pattern a lightship would use but on this clip you can clearly see that there are no stern anchor(s) so that would indicate only a single anchor at the bow (with two anchors and the ship swinging on the current you are asking for a lot of problems).

Just my :2c:

• Like 3

Gent's thanks for all the links and information you can always depend on the good people of this site to come up with the goods I appreciate all your help  :thanks:

A little bit done for now on the ships boats I have added a cover for one and tried to add some detail to the other

I have also been adding a little detail to the deck vents as these were solid so opened up with a combination of drills and a mini grinder  :idea:

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

beefy

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

The second clip is the most interesting Andy, I was wondering what sort of anchor pattern a lightship would use but on this clip you can clearly see that there are no stern anchor(s) so that would indicate only a single anchor at the bow (with two anchors and the ship swinging on the current you are asking for a lot of problems).

Just my :2c:

I am no expert in Nautical matters but I would think it is better for a ship to be anchored only at the bow so it could swing round with the current, if it was anchored front and back there must be a danger it could be side on to the current and the wind.

Those small boats certainly look much better now Beefy. I like the covering you have put on one of them, just needs some rope over to tie it down.

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well a small update I have fitted the anchor chains and painted them using MR metal coat dark iron bit of a pain threading them through but got them done in the end  :blink:

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

And some work done on the boat deck this is the fiddly bit all the small deck fittings

IMG_3736.jpg

Need to do some straightening up with the rails as caught them when fitting some other bits but should be OK just me being heavy handed

beefy

• Like 22

Looks really great Keith, the anchor gear looks the real deal mate !

You might consider leaving some of the bent railings, only the really wrecked ones got fixed in dock when I was at sea with Smit Lloyd..........................................

• Like 2

This is looking a masterpiece and will be a fitting background to that cricket match we are all looking to catch up on!

Martian

• Like 1

Well not much done I,am afraid or it does not look much more of the small deck fittings on been enjoying the sunshine up here for a change  B)

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

and just picked up something for later after I get my finger out and finish a few other kits

beefy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1