Light Ship South Goodwin

On 5/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Billydick said:

Going to follow this beefy.  Built the Frog version years ago .  A couple of years go, I got an obscure Polish boxing of the kit, with the vessel moored in what would appear to be the Norwegian Fjords !  Also no decals (South Goodwin) included in the box.  After enquiring with seller, he stated " It says on box that decals arent included'  Well everything on the box is in Polish, and even with help of a translator, it says nothing about decals not being included !  Anyway, managed to  get the Eastern Express boxing subsequently, with decals.  Got the Atlantic Models P/E as well ... :)

BillyD

Welcome to the MAD world of Beefy's boat yard Billy hope you enjoy it  :shrug:

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Can I ask on behalf of all of us, what the score is?

Martian

Martian the score was a draw stopped because of rain Ohh sorry I thought you meant the cricket  :rage:

The score with the build so far is going OK I have built up most of the bridge structure and removed the molded on rather over scale upper deck supports and replaced with the PE this will need a slight trim because of the curve

and will start to replace all the doors and hatches

IMG_3689.jpg

I have also made a start on removing the molded walkway and supports for the light base

IMG_3690.jpg

beefy

• Like 10

I did mean the cricket but good progress all the same!

Martian

PS: We all expect full batting and bowling statistics.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 8:04 PM, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Sorry Martian but just not had any time to get the cricket scores been busy at work

On 5/20/2017 at 10:37 PM, Rob 1 said:

Starting to take shape now, looks like a nice classic little vessel, presume this makes a pleasant change from more military subjects.

Rob 1 it does make a change from the mostly grey military stuff and is quite good fun  

On 5/21/2017 at 1:00 PM, robgizlu said:

Looking really neat - Corvette-like :winkgrin:

Keep it coming

Rob

Rob it does look like the hull has a Corvette-like shape to it had not noticed this until now

Any way small update started to add a few of the small hatches and folded the doors as these come as double sided to show as open if required but I will not be opening them up

Also started to fold the rails up for the light platform not glued yet

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

Also primed the hull to see how much of the detail I have lost to the sanding on the join lines

IMG_3691.jpg

beefy

• Like 15

On 2017-5-12 at 9:58 PM, Mjwomack said:

Sadly, the original was lost with some fatalities

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18280.0

my attempt went in the bin, though nothing more than pride was lost. If I ever attempt it again, I'll call it Doom Bar :drink:

Throwing it in the bin, that was a bit Sharp(s) of you !

Nice work by the way, really like the subject.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2017 at 8:04 PM, Martian Hale said:

Martian

My Scout troop was 8th (Wigmore) Gillingham, but I cannot remember any of the Venture Scouts who canoed across the Channel and played the lightship crew at cricket. It would have been about 1977.

It's looking good Beefy,

Andy

• Like 2

Nice work Keith, looks almost ready for you to screw (Fnar Fnar) the light bulb in :thumbsup:

The PE work is a huge improvement, better than the "bog standard" plastic OOB version.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 7:14 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Nice work Keith, looks almost ready for you to screw (Fnar Fnar) the light bulb in :thumbsup:

The PE work is a huge improvement, better than the "bog standard" plastic OOB version.

The PE is making things look so much better than the kit parts Julian just taking my time and slowly does it at the minute

On 5/27/2017 at 1:48 PM, Darby said:

Coming along rather nicely. Just wondering how you're going to replicate the bird honga?

Thanks Darby and if you mean  :poop: by Honga I think a few strategically placed white dots of paint may cover that part

Well small update as I have been enjoying the sunshine while I can over the weekend but as they say all good things come to an end and I got back on with some modelling

Painted the hull in Red oxide primer with a dark green tide mark around the boot top area

IMG_3694.jpg

And added more of the PE around the bridge area ladders and doors

IMG_3695.jpg

and the platform support braces to the underside of the walkway

IMG_3696.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the support with this one

beefy

OHH nearly forgot a question for those that deal with wingy-thing canopies the PE set gives you the framework to go around the light glass work

How is the best way to remove the molded on detail from the clear part and then get it polished up without making a complete mess of it  :idea:

Any help with this question please

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I would use progressively finer grades of Micromesh followed by a bath in Klear.

Martian

Wot 'e sez works for me. I start off by gently scraping off raised detail (I have a canopy with seam which is going to need this soon) with a new blade.

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Well small update as I have been enjoying the sunshine while I can over the weekend but as they say all good things come to an end and I got back on with some modelling

Sunshine? In Gateshead? Really?  :mellow:Mind you Plymouth hasn't seen much of it today and the gulls are carpet bombing honga :poop: IVO my car.

What did you use for the red oxide

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darby said:

What did you use for the red oxide

Darby I used Vallejo primers red oxide and for the tide mark Russian Green

Been carefully scraping off the detail from the lens and I have used various grades of sanding stick from 240 right through up to 600 to remove the lines looks better already

It has also been given a soaking in Johnston's Klear will now leave it to dry overnight and see what it looks like when completely dry

beefy

Martian and Darby thanks for the great advice on the lens it looks like it has come out alright  :book:

The part on the right should be representing the rails around the light platform with the same molded detail and the cleaned up lens cover and new PE frame work on the left

IMG_3697.jpg

And looking at the hull you can see where some of the detail has been lost so will be using Archer transfer rivets to replace this

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

beefy

• Like 8

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Much improved

Rivets :hypnotised: make sure you don't count them ;)

Kev

Agreed, especially about the rivets: look what it did to Kev!

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Agreed, especially about the rivets: look what it did to Kev!

Martian

:giggle:  

Beefy - It's looking great.  The rivets are really useful  though a tadge dear

Rob

• Like 2