New Royal Navy B5 and B15 paints from Colourcoats

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has taken a long time, but we have just released our new and updated B5 / B15 model paint from Colourcoats. Yes, we have strayed from the Snyder & Short chips. I am sure many will think I am mad for doing so, but I am utterly convinced I am correct in doing so and will be releasing a free to download PDF as soon as the four forum members whose names are on the front are happy with the final format, however we agreed the colour itself two months ago. The PDF will explain the rationale, the references (that I'd encourage readers to go see for themselves rather than just say they don't believe me) and the methods used to arrive at this shade.

I realise the implications of such a drastic shift from the currently held beliefs about B5 and B15. It does mean that some conjecture and agreed colour schemes including B5 determined by analysis of black and white photographs may be incorrect after all - still that is no reason to perpetuate what I believe to be superseded information. Our new colour matches our understanding of unweathered paint. In practise they could and did lose their strong hue at sea due to chalking and wear.

20170512_154821_zpslrm0pusg.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/products/RN07_1024x1024.jpg?v=1494330996

Available now in the UK, and within the next few weeks in the USA:
https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/rn07-b5-b15-dark-blue

• Like 2

Thank you Ian,

However despite going over this a good dozen times in writing and with 2 rounds of comment and update from the co-researchers today, I have upon another read 30 minutes ago spotted some absolute howlers (Ultramarine Clue, anyone?) so have just updated and reuploaded now.

No material difference to colours, sources or conclusions, but it might make a little more sense now!

I feel like the technical editor who inherits all my ramblings at my day job and turns it in to coherent English is underpaid!