One red Mustang to match the Yellow one

Looking at Azureglo' beautiful yellow P-51 reminded me that I had built the Aussie red one using the then brand new AIrfix kit a couple of years back.

Here she is:-

CIMG7999_zps8caba644.jpg

CIMG8001_zps2aac26e1.jpg

CIMG8000_zpsff05624c.jpg

and in a  compromising position.

CIMG8004_zps895640d7.jpg

Now has anyone got a blue one??

• Like 24

Lovely job there - I like the use of the Healey and Land Rover props too.
......which brings me to a question you might be able to answer. Does the CA-18 (and other Mks of Aussie Mustang) differ in any way from the P-51D representation of the 1/72 Airfix kit.

Reason being, I'd like to build both of Ron Flockhart's Sydney to London record flight attempt Mustangs. and wonder if I they can be built 'straight from the box', removing only the armament?
Neither, unfortunately, was painted in Ecurrie Ecosse blue (Flockhart was a Le Mans winner for Jaguar with that Scottish motor racing team), both his Mustangs being in red with white trim!

His attempt was sadly ill-starred. The first Mustang G-AKRD was left damaged and stranded in Greece (I wonder if it still survives?) , and the second, G-ARUK, he flew in to the side of a hill and killed himself.

Edited by alancmlaird

alancmlaird

externally not a lot........both of  his mustangs were CAC assembled...But G-ARKD is A68-5......an NA kitset.(CA-17)...so much the same as the airfix kit.

G-ARUK...formally VH-UWB....A68-113 is a CA18....so will need a CAC seat....you can get these from redroo models.....best to start with the F51 version of the airfix kit

my own VH-AUB

IMG_6446_zpsb3a072ae.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oz rb fan said:

alancmlaird

externally not a lot........both of  his mustangs were CAC assembled...But G-ARKD is A68-5......an NA kitset.(CA-17)...so much the same as the airfix kit.

G-ARUK...formally VH-UWB....A68-113 is a CA18....so will need a CAC seat....you can get these from redroo models.....best to start with the F51 version of the airfix kit

my own VH-AUB

IMG_6446_zpsb3a072ae.jpg

Excellent info - being a 'civvie' enthusiast, these distinctions escaped me. I hadn't even noticed Airfix had TWO versions of the 'D' Mustang!

17 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

Excellent info - being a 'civvie' enthusiast, these distinctions escaped me. I hadn't even noticed Airfix had TWO versions of the 'D' Mustang!

yup the F51 kit has the noncuffed prop that all CAC built stangs had(and are pretty popular with racers) so its a great way to start a civvie stang.

there are a few differences onb CAC stangs to NA built ones but not many that can be seen in model form.......the seat on CA18's probably being the big one.

my batch of civvie stangs so far

16832883_1235700283134016_836762991_o_zp

left to front

RB51...high planes

VH-AUB airfix

miss Ashley 11  highplanes 

Jeanie airfix with a high planes conversion.

as for civvie stangs i'd like to build.....

10985572_10204312285672175_3220879825400

152_zpszzf5y5il.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oz rb fan said:

as for civvie stangs i'd like to build.....

...how about this one? Pretty famous in the UK in the early 70s - in all the magazines and at air shows...

p51-4474494-c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@Horatio Gruntfuttock Sorry I missed this as you name checked me, any chance you could repost the pix? Would love to see the this beastie and have plenty of suggestions for nice blue ones: try these (the Academy P-51C is the best one for the dark blue one and if you have a look on my Bob Hoover WIP, you'll see its actually a deep metallic blue)

thunderbirdp51c.jpg

Something in a nice pastel for sir?

mrchoppersp51d.jpg

Cheers, A

On 22 September 2017 at 11:17 PM, azureglo said:

@Horatio Gruntfuttock Sorry I missed this as you name checked me, any chance you could repost the pix? Would love to see the this beastie and have plenty of suggestions for nice blue ones: try these (the Academy P-51C is the best one for the dark blue one and if you have a look on my Bob Hoover WIP, you'll see its actually a deep metallic blue)

thunderbirdp51c.jpg

Something in a nice pastel for sir?

mrchoppersp51d.jpg

Cheers, A

Hi - I have also just spotted this blast from the past, complete with its now-deleted images! I will try to shift them into Imgur which is the carrier i now use and try a re-post at some time in the future.

THese schemes by DRAWDecal look wonderful.

• 1 year later...