Hi everyone,

This will be my very first group build, so here goes!

I've always wanted to do a 109 in desert colours but never quite got round to doing one, then Eduard released this kit which included my favourite 109 desert scheme.

I was originally inspired to build one after watching the Bf109G " Black 6" completing some engine runs when it was based at Duxford in the early 90's.

scan0002_zpsxuoaag54 - Copy

Here she is with engine exposed.

scan0001_zpstprkhrbb

So this is the kit in question and I also went for the resin engine, again by Eduard. Now I can recreate the above photo.

001 (2)

This is the chosen scheme.

002_zpsmdwykiyp

And the resin engine set.

003_zpskyntkhif

So this is what I've manage to do so far, not much really, just separated the resin parts from their casting blocks and stuck a few gubbins to the engine block.

006_zpseazjs5jd

More to follow shortly, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 8

Hi everyone,

A little progress over the last few days. I managed to complete the cockpit and close the fuselage.  I painted the cockpit with Xtracolor enamels and

picked out the small details with Vallejo model colors, this followed with a wash of AK interactive washes to give a little depth and grubbiness.

004_zpshx1heqw9 - Copy

A little surgery was performed on the fuselage so that the resin engine and guns should slip in. 

005_zpsntvcguja

And finally the cockpit and fuselage glued together.

007_zps5sa30kbj

Thanks for looking, gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 7

Hi all.

I've managed to finish the engine this evening. It was quite a complex job as some of the parts are incredibly small, but with a lot of patience

and a few rude words I've completed it... although there remains a little plumbing to do in places.

First of all I gave it an Alclad grey primer, followed by Alclad gloss black and finally a bit of post shading using Tamiya NATO black. I just need to

pick out the other colours with a brush, seal it and then a good mucky wash!

gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 8

I've always liked the tropical 109s. Your engine looks great. I'm building a 1/24 109 and your engine has so much more detail than mine. It's incredible. Might have to copy some stuff off your engine and scratch it on mine!  Can't wait for further progress. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SimonT said:

The engine looks superb and spotless finish on the Alclad Gloss Black. 

Thanks very much... Eduard have done a stunning job with this resin engine set.

10 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I've always liked the tropical 109s. Your engine looks great. I'm building a 1/24 109 and your engine has so much more detail than mine. It's incredible. Might have to copy some stuff off your engine and scratch it on mine!  Can't wait for further progress. 

Thank you georgeusa, I'll take a few more photos when it's finished from a few different angles. I've just had a look at your 109 build thread, seems

to be coming on very nicely... it will be quite impressive in that scale.

Here is a link to a tutorial by a very talented guy, on how to build and paint the Eduard DB605 engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDlxp5oITbE

Cheers, gazza l

Hi.

Just a small bit of progress today. I managed to fit the wings to the fuselage but unfortunately the fit was bad leaving a gap approx 0.5mm in the starboard 

wing joint... a little bit disappointing.

001_zps0elemri4.jpg

So out with the plasticard and superglue/talc filler!!!

003_zpslxiuefgm

While the wings set I sprayed the various bits and pieces.

002_zpsfz8yeiei

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

A little more progress to report

The engine is now complete, painted and weathered and with all the extra plumbing installed.

042_zpsgizstyje.jpg

All the other bits also weathered and painted.

043_zpsad8e4enh.jpg

A bit of a dry run to check the fit.

045_zpsxi80edxh.jpg

Oh dear we have a problem!  Now that ain't gonna to fit in there.

046_zpsfntmz1mb.jpg

Unless I've gone completely mad and done something really stupid... those instructions are not quite right.

I think I'll need to do a bit of surgery with the front cowling to get that assembly in as one. 

047_zpsukgpp7um.jpg

Any help will be gratefully received, gazza l 

• Like 2

The instructions are telling you to put the engine and the machine gun deck firewall in as one assembly. You seem to be trying to put the engine in after fitting the machine gun deck and firewall to the fuselage...

That might be the problem...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Plasto said:

The instructions are telling you to put the engine and the machine gun deck firewall in as one assembly. You seem to be trying to put the engine in after fitting the machine gun deck and firewall to the fuselage...

That might be the problem...

I've tried fitting it both ways, there is no room to manoeuvre it in as one assembly or as separated components... I'm going to have to get the razor saw out!

Thanks anyway, gazza l 

On 6/13/2017 at 0:23 AM, Plasto said:

Does the instruction say to have the lower oil cooler cowling in place??

The instructions show the cowling and the wings off whilst installing the engine, but I don't think even this would help.

Never mind I think I've sorted out the problem with a bit of surgery, off with the front cowl.

058_zpsc3oda9ur.jpg

It was still a nightmare to get in, involving a few hours fettling and dry fitting... I think that will do.  

059_zpsvonisnyo.jpg

And now to stick it back together again, adding a plastic card shim to allow for the bit I removed.

060_zpscfxcxvra

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 6

Hi all.

Some more progress this week, the canopy is on and I've finally finished the problematic engine so this has been masked off in preparation for painting.

So it begins with a patchy coat of Alclad white primer to act as the pre-shading.

The Hellblau was then masked off and some pre-shading on the upper surfaces applied, this time I experimented and tried out some Alclad sepia.

Finally for today the top colour RLM 79, this was then post shaded with a slightly lightened mix and applied the the centre of the panels to give it a subtle faded look.

As always, thanks for looking.

gazza l

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 2

Hi everyone.

I haven't been able to keep up with this WIP thread of late, mainly because of the Photobucket fiasco and also because my PC packed up.

So here it is completed, weathered with oil washes and pastel chalks and finished with Alclad semi matt varnish

Edited by gazza l
  • Like 6