'We Need Backup!'

So a little while back I was thinking how I could use up some of my excess figures without overcrowding other ideas for dioramas I have (got a bit of a ridiculous number going on lol), and I came up with an idea for a scene from Tom Clancy's: The Division video game.

Base idea would be a group of soldiers - supposedly part of the Joint Task Force - from the game being pinned down on a street by a 'cleaner'. With this ide,a I can use three soldiers that I currently have, plus an old re-purposed Dragon SAS soldier or two, for whom I will make some air tanks and repaint. I've noticed Masterbox has a new modern set on the way that would be perfect for this as well as another diorama idea, so I'm aiming to leave open space to add them in. 

So far I have the pickup done, as well as three figures, the dumpster and some waste bags (rolled bits of Green Stuff). I've made up the tarp from Green Stuff, which will need to be painted (trick because there is nothing under it :P). The base needs some painting, and I plan to add a wall at the back of it (right side). I'll then add some snow texture from Tamiya, and a bit of powder snow effect as well. The pickup has already been 'frosted' with a bit of white spray.

Used in this diorama so far are the 1/35 F-350 from Meng, soldiers from the Masterbox 'Man Down' set, Dumpster from the Meng 1/35 Vending Machine set, plastic drum from the Meng Highway set, and a holdall from the Meng IDF Equipment set.

Down below is a quick breakdown of components, and a general idea of its eventual look :)

division7_by_moab23-db8vqwn.jpg

division6_by_moab23-db8vqs2.jpg

division3_by_moab23-db8vqb2.jpg

division4_by_moab23-db8vqg7.jpg

division2_by_moab23-db8vq0a.jpg

division1_by_moab23-db8vppi.jpg

And in truly 'black kit'

division5_by_moab23-db8vqou.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Gaz

Edited by GazB
Information added
  • Like 2

Some great looking components you've got there, and guaranteed to make an interesting dio. The pick up looks superb and your figure painting is excellent.

Keep up with the good work,

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Badder said:

Some great looking components you've got there, and guaranteed to make an interesting dio. The pick up looks superb and your figure painting is excellent.

Keep up with the good work,

Rearguards

Badder

Cheers, Badder. Just hoping when it comes to the snow I don't spoil it, heh.

Gaz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazB said:

Cheers, Badder. Just hoping when it comes to the snow I don't spoil it, heh.

Gaz

Always a worry. I've chickened out of adding snow to my current dio. Firstly 'cos it hides all the lovely model detail and all that nice painting.. and secondly because it's not easy if you try to do it 'home made'. I will try it one day, but when I do it'll be after forking out a lot of dosh for the 'precision ice and snow.' which really does give realistic effects.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Always a worry. I've chickened out of adding snow to my current dio. Firstly 'cos it hides all the lovely model detail and all that nice painting.. and secondly because it's not easy if you try to do it 'home made'. I will try it one day, but when I do it'll be after forking out a lot of dosh for the 'precision ice and snow.' which really does give realistic effects.

Rearguards

Badder

I've got the two types of Tamiya snow, which I tested on a piece of styrene and do look pretty good effects wise. I think ill use them for the bulk of ground work, then maybe apply some watered down scenic glue to the top surfaces and sills of the truck and tarp etc and give it a little dusting with snow powder I got from Scene-a-rama range by Woodland Scenics :)

Gaz

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GazB said:

then maybe apply some watered down scenic glue to the top surfaces and sills of the truck and tarp etc and give it a little dusting with snow powder I got from Scene-a-rama range by Woodland Scenics :)

Gaz,

I have a jar of that Woodland Scennics Snow which I purchased intending to use on my current dio. I've had a mess around with it, just scattering it over some finished armour, and my building and it does look okay, though still not as good as the Precision Ice and Snow. It is plenty good enough for ground cover though.

If you look at 'Shiftys takes the shot' WIP in this forum, you'll see how the Precision stuff drifts and settles on even the tiniest ledges and sticks to vertical surfaces. I would fork out the extra cash and use that. I know it sounds like I have shares in 'Precision', but I don't! I just believe if you're going to spend weeks and months and lots of money making a model, figures and scenery, then it's worth buying the best snow product available.

Back to the 'scenics' stuff, I personally wouldn't want to use PVA on my vehicles. Can I suggest you try hairspray instead? Spray a can into a container and capture the lacquer. You can brush the lacquer onto the model and then apply the snow. You can even mix the snow into the lacquer then apply it thickly, and then while still wet sprinkle more snow on top to give a 'cleaner, fresher' surface. Test it out on an old model first.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

Gaz,

I have a jar of that Woodland Scennics Snow which I purchased intending to use on my current dio. I've had a mess around with it, just scattering it over some finished armour, and my building and it does look okay, though still not as good as the Precision Ice and Snow. It is plenty good enough for ground cover though.

If you look at 'Shiftys takes the shot' WIP in this forum, you'll see how the Precision stuff drifts and settles on even the tiniest ledges and sticks to vertical surfaces. I would fork out the extra cash and use that. I know it sounds like I have shares in 'Precision', but I don't! I just believe if you're going to spend weeks and months and lots of money making a model, figures and scenery, then it's worth buying the best snow product available.

Back to the 'scenics' stuff, I personally wouldn't want to use PVA on my vehicles. Can I suggest you try hairspray instead? Spray a can into a container and capture the lacquer. You can brush the lacquer onto the model and then apply the snow. You can even mix the snow into the lacquer then apply it thickly, and then while still wet sprinkle more snow on top to give a 'cleaner, fresher' surface. Test it out on an old model first.

Rearguards,

Badder

I had wondered about the hairspray, since I'd seen the Precision vids with them using something similar, but given how nasty the stuff is I'd have to make some serious consideration (doing it outside would be a bit difficult for me). As for the precision stuff itself, currently outside my model budget, heh :P

Thanks for the recommendations all the same, Badder :)

Gaz

4 hours ago, GazB said:

given how nasty the stuff is

After spending many years in a previous marriage with a woman who used half a can of the stuff every morning, in the bedroom, while I was asleep, I can vouch how nasty the stuff is. That's why I took to spraying the can into a container and brushing it on instead. It doesn't go airborne and the smell is reduced to virtually nothing.

If I wasn't able to get outside I'd get a large clear polythene bag with no holes in it and place an open screw-top jar in the bottom. Then I would hold the can inside the bag, aimed at the jar and wrap the neck of the bag around my wrist. Then I'd spray into the jar, with the nozzle held near the jar but not in it. I'd spray 'half-pressure' rather than just blasting it. Then when the can is empty I'd drop the can, hold the jar upright and walk over to an open door or window where I'd remove the jar and let the aerosol gases out of the bag.

Just a thought.

Badder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

After spending many years in a previous marriage with a woman who used half a can of the stuff every morning, in the bedroom, while I was asleep, I can vouch how nasty the stuff is. That's why I took to spraying the can into a container and brushing it on instead. It doesn't go airborne and the smell is reduced to virtually nothing.

If I wasn't able to get outside I'd get a large clear polythene bag with no holes in it and place an open screw-top jar in the bottom. Then I would hold the can inside the bag, aimed at the jar and wrap the neck of the bag around my wrist. Then I'd spray into the jar, with the nozzle held near the jar but not in it. I'd spray 'half-pressure' rather than just blasting it. Then when the can is empty I'd drop the can, hold the jar upright and walk over to an open door or window where I'd remove the jar and let the aerosol gases out of the bag.

Just a thought.

Badder.

Interesting :)

Something to consider at least :)

Gaz