1/72 - Fiat G.55 Centauro by Sword - released

Homebee

Very interesting ! The Special Hobby kit is quite easily available and pretty good, I'm curious to see what Sword will give us. Supplying two tails is a very good thing as the Serie 1 G.55 did indeed have two types of tails

Both tail versions were done by Special Hobby. Beside that, Special Hobby also covered the whole range of Centauro, including Sottoserie Zero, G.56 and even G.55S Silurante through Italian subsidiary. What is most important, there is nothing wrong with Special Hobby kits as they are modern, accurate and well detailed.

In my eyes Sword announced pretty useless release, unless it will prove popular with those buyers who always need to have the latest regardless to the real necessity.

In the last couple of years I got the impression that Czech producers lost inspiration and creativity of offering really new and previously non-kitted subjects, but rather recycle items done by others before, even if they were done recently, like this G.55.

I am quite happy about this announcement!

Sorry I can not agree with MarkoZG, since I missed out on Special Hobby's renditions.

(To be honest I wasn't even aware they did a G.55, but with so many new kits coming out, I must have overlooked it.)

I have built some Sword Spitfires recently, and believe that their G.55 will be good as well.

I especially like the late-war markings with the 'post stamp style' Italian flag.

This would sit nicely along my Reggiane 2005 :

• Like 1

Special Hobby kits are bit outdated compared to their recent offerings, and as far as I remember were true multimedia kits ( lots of resin )...but given recent quality and detail in Sword kits don't think they will be able to surpass SH....

Edited by Thomas V.

I'm looking forward to this one from a personal modelling viewpoint and trader viewpoint. That looks quite nice and you can't argue with the price for 2  kits in one box. The older Special Hobby kits can be a total pain to build and so far I've had no really bad issues building Sword kits so far (Spitfire Vc, Re 2001 and Ki-84) so we'll see.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Looks better than SH kit, by that I mean nicer plastic and more likely easier construction, but lacking in detail, they should at least give some PE parts for the cockpit,if not Brengun/Hauler should jump the wagon.

Adding to that, few years ago a friend of mine and a good connaisseur of Italian subjects stated that ancient FROG kit is more accurate G.55 representation than SH one, maybe the new Sword kit is based on more accurate FROG kit?

Edited by Thomas V.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

I see that this kit is now available.  I ordered 2 of them direct from SWORD, averaged out to the best price could find.

Did you get them less the VAT? If not there could well be cheaper options.

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx

Hi Mike, I believe I did as they are being shipped to Canada.  The best price that I saw on eBay was about $25 USD mail and that was for one.  I paid $19 USD per set.  Knowing my luck, they'll pop up for even less!  LOL  Now if I can only find a good price on those new Bf.109B kits... 

4 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Hi Mike, I believe I did as they are being shipped to Canada.  The best price that I saw on eBay was about $25 USD mail and that was for one.  I paid $19 USD per set.  Knowing my luck, they'll pop up for even less!  LOL  Now if I can only find a good price on those new Bf.109B kits... 

You can get them cheaper than Ebay. You should check out the vendors that advertise on here, you can get better deals.

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Speaking of ordering directly from Sword: how was the experience? Also, does the shipping abroad  (in my case EU) really cost as displayed in the basket, or it is only for domestic postage?

I tried to contact them via formular on their page with undeliverable mail notification as result...

Edited by Aesthete

On 10/11/2017 at 4:40 PM, Aesthete said:

Speaking of ordering directly from Sword: how was the experience? Also, does the shipping abroad  (in my case EU) really cost as displayed in the basket, or it is only for domestic postage?

I tried to contact them via formular on their page with undeliverable mail notification as result...

Very good experience for me, no issue and shipping fee are correct

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Fiat G.55 Centauro by Sword - released - re-release in April 2022

Re-release expected in April - ref. SW72104 - Fiat G.55 Srs.1 (2in1) - Co-Belligerent AF (ANR) (2 kits included)

New box art

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/fiat-g55-srs1-2in1---co-belligerent-af-anr--2-kits-included-reissue-expected-april-2022-sword-sw72104-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=145030

145030-0.jpg

145030-1.jpg

V.P.

• Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Fiat G.55 Centauro by Sword - released