Lysander Spat Winglets(?)

Unkempt

Quick question if anyone knows: were the little winglet things (or whatever they're called, they carry the bombs) permanently fitted to some aircraft and not others, or were they used on a per-mission sort of basis? Were they removable? Not many photos seem to show them.

Here's a pic with the winglets attached:

444a446d855bf255185ce2a19b1aee14.jpg

And here's a "restoration project" which appears to show an open panel in the same location where the winglet attached to the spat...which makes sense because the winglets needed to attach to a main structural element (ie the main load-bearing undercarriage strut):

NewWings29.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

And here's a "restoration project" which appears to show an open panel in the same location where the winglet attached to the spat...which makes sense because the winglets needed to attach to a main structural element (ie the main load-bearing undercarriage strut):

And for the attachment of the stores release mechanisms.

Chris

2 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Here's a pic with the winglets attached:

444a446d855bf255185ce2a19b1aee14.jpg

NewWings29.jpg

For those who would wish to know, on the top picture the winglet has  a light series bomb carrier fitted mounted with four Type A Electro Magnetic Release Units (EMRU)

Believe it or not The last RAF aircraft type to my knowledge to be equipped with this very same equipment  was Nimrod! (and that includes the cancelled MRA4 by the way).

Selwyn

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

For those who would wish to know, on the top picture the winglet has  a light series bomb carrier fitted mounted with four Type A Electro Magnetic Release Units (EMRU)

Believe it or not The last RAF aircraft type to my knowledge to be equipped with this very same equipment  was Nimrod! (and that includes the cancelled MRA4 by the way).

Selwyn

I believe they're still in use on FAA cabs...although I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

I believe they're still in use on FAA cabs...although I could be wrong. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I believe the type A EMRU actually  dates from around the end of  WW1  to early 1920s period. I have seen pictures of these Light series carriers   fitted to Postwar  Bristol fighters. so they have been used in front line service by the RAF/ FAA for near enough the best part of 100 years.

So what was that complaint about taxpayers not getting value for money when they buy kit for the forces? 

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, dalea said:

None of the photos show how to glue on tiny bits of resin

Just coat the bottom of the winglet in carpet, they instantly attach!

Selwyn

(who knows from experience!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2017 at 7:19 PM, dalea said:

None of the photos show how to glue on tiny bits of resin

On 12/05/2017 at 10:47 PM, mhaselden said:

Or fold miniscule etched brass components.

To be honest I asked the question to find out if I could leave them off...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Any one know why the guy in the bottom pic is wearing oxygen mask and parachute?

If hes a pilot surely he would not have put the mask on till he,s in the air ??

Or is he shy ?? 

Most probably a staged picture using some spare bod dressed as a pilot, the mask makes him anonymous. Other givaways are that aircrew, especially ones wearing parachutes, certainly wouldn't be involved loading stores, and you notice he's wearing shoes not flying boots as well. the store looks to be "positioned" on something hidden by the man,  its not apparently attached to any of the aircraft's carriers!

Selwyn