Airfix 1/144 Vanguard

I'm currently in a turboprop phase.:wink:

Just received the Welsh F-27 kit...very nice except it took over two months to get if from Airline Hobby Supplies here in the US.

Does anybody have an opinion on the Accuracy of the Airfix Vanguard kit? I know it's almost as old as me...55!:worry:

Thanks all

Edited by Mike Esposito

• 2 weeks later...

I guess its down to modellers taste if they spoil the finished model, I personally could not live with the errors. Compared to photos in my opinion they are noticably off and very generic in profile and cross section, if memory serves the exhaust ports require work too (its a 15 or so years since, I built mine).

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

Of course it's down to modellers. We all have our own tolerance levels as to how "out" we are prepared our finished models to be. Until the day a fairly accessible, modern  and relatively easy injection moulded kit of the Vanguard is released, we haven't got much choice. Maybe Mikro Mir might be minded to have a go - seeing as they have recently released an Argosy.

In the right hands the Airfix Vanguard can give a stunning result. Inevitably, of course, the outcome will depend on the builder's skill and the amount of effort he/she puts in but Strangeways' build shows what can be done.  

As Jessica has mentioned the Welsh Models kit is available as an alternative to the Airfix one but it's pricey and I have no personal experience of it.

What do you suggest - never build a Vanguard model in the hope that someday someone will do a modern one?

Or make the best of what is currently available?

I know what I would prefer to do.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

What do you suggest - never build a Vanguard model in the hope that someday someone will do a modern one?

Or make the best of what is currently available?

I know what I would prefer to do.

That's what I think. Only a choice of one ,the one will have to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Armchair said:

The nose contours are still wrong, it will take a great deal of work to correct them.

Bryan

Perhaps you could elaborate further on this point for us?

Chris.

It's likely the fact that the windscreen panels on a real Vanguard are flat, but Airfix gave us a smoothly round strip which is, of course, impossible for reasonably advanced modellers to sand and polish into the correct shapes, especially given how unreasonably thick and non-transparent it is. Also the nose scoops are less than accurate, but nobody has ever been able to carve a strip of plastic into the correct shape to correct the messes kit manufacturers give us. No, it's better to give up and complain than to take matters into our own hands and correct them.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Jessica said:

It's likely the fact that the windscreen panels on a real Vanguard are flat, but Airfix gave us a smoothly round strip which is, of course, impossible for reasonably advanced modellers to sand and polish into the correct shapes, especially given how unreasonably thick and non-transparent it is. Also the nose scoops are less than accurate, but nobody has ever been able to carve a strip of plastic into the correct shape to correct the messes kit manufacturers give us. No, it's better to give up and complain than to take matters into our own hands and correct them.

:rofl:

Chris.

• Like 1

I was very lucky, I purchased a Welsh Models Vanguard for the ridiculous price of £5 from a modeller at the Milton Keynes show a couple of years ago, following advice from a friend in my model club I cut the front cabin section from the Airfix kit and substituted it with the front of the Welsh Models kit. After a lot of fiddling and faffing it finally looked okay to me, it has been on display on my club stand on the model show circuit this year and received a favourable response. We are all different, I could not live with the failings of the Airfix kit, others can.

Bryan

I bought the Welsh Models Vanguard many years ago - during that long period when the Airfix Vanguard was unavailable. When I do get around to the Airfix one, of which I have two in the stash, it will be out with the files and sanders for me.

• Like 2

Sadly, I think a trick has been missed by the aftermarket guys. A replacement nose and a nice set of Tyne's and maybe props I thought would be a good seller? Maybe Roden will come to the rescue. Now then , back to the Airfix kit .

• Like 1